The Circle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Circle Reviews

½ August 19, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Scott, it s time to circle the wagons and review The Circle.

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) I m coming around to it, Greg. Thanks for keeping me in the loop. Let s recap.

GREG: We re introduced to young Mae (Emma Watson). She works in a dull cubicle job collecting money for the water department. When one day, her best friend calls and says she got an interview with The Circle - an Apple/Google/Facebook-like company that specializes in social media software. The interview is a bit bizarre, but she gets in and can t wait to get started.

SCOTT: Mae begins working at the Circle and immediately realizes that she is expected to make the job her entire life -- her friends, activities, and parties are all arranged by the Circle. At one of these parties she meets Ty Leffit (John Boyega), one of the mythical founders of the Circle who has now gone incognito. Mae realizes that Ty doesn t revere the Circle as everyone else seems to. Soon Mae is taken under the wing of Circle co-founder Eamon Bailey (Tom Hanks), who uses Mae to demonstrate the formidable power of social media.

GREG: Scott, The Circle is a movie that cannot find its center. On the one hand it wants to show us the scary side of social media and technology. On the other hand, it seems to solve all problems by adding technology to our lives. The company introduces a mini-cam that is the size of an eyeball and can be glued to any standing structure. The idea is that it can see everything all the time. We re never shown the downside of this but we re led to believe there is one. Then Mae goes transparent - broadcasting her every move to the world. But it gets scary when she accidentally broadcasts her parents having sex. Then she outs a fugitive using the ubiquity of cellphone cameras. But then her best friend is killed when the same social media tool is used to chase him down. We can never tell what this film is trying to say - is technology good or bad?

SCOTT: I think it s trying to say that it s both. It s good when used wisely and bad when used unwisely. Kind of like money, sex, marriage, and a million other things that can be good or bad. The Circle is a well-intentioned movie about the dangers of technology in compromising our privacy. Alas, good intentions do not necessarily translate into good movies. There are major problems with this film that make me surprised that actors as seasoned as Tom Hanks and Emma Watson would agree to be a part of it. First, this theme of technology invading privacy is hardly new. This topic has been bandied about for many years. Second, the way the storyline unfolds is painfully predictable. We know from the start that the Circle is evil, and so the ending of the film is entirely anticlimactic. Third, Emma Watson fails to portray a character who convincingly evolves from naivety to revelation. She just sort of changes one day without us seeing it happen. That s simply bad filmmaking.

GREG: I cannot measure just how disappointed I was in this film. If you want to see both sides of an issue look at the filmcraft of Eye in the Sky. Here, three points of view about the collateral death of a young girl during a bombing the middle east are presented. It leaves the conclusions to the audience, but it makes clear that there are no good solutions. But The Circle simply moves from one technical issue to the next with no resolution to speak of. And the writer seemed to have no comprehension of how technology works. We were dragged into an abandoned subway where apparently hard drives would be spun up with information on each of us. In fact, data is distributed across the globe to promote redundancy. On top of that are glaring contradictions in philosophy. In one scene, Mae is devastated by the loss of her friend Mercer who died at the hands of a social media chase she instigated. She apparently has shunned technology. And so she reaches out to her friend Annie (Karen Gillan) - using her cell phone. She s in a video chat with her friend and says: I like this. This personal connection. This is the way people should communicate. This was a serious face-palm moment for me. Apparently, using the internet to have a personal conversation is alright. But using the same technology to talk to a hundred people is not. Apparently talking by way of videophone is better than meeting in person. The movie is rife with these contradictions. It was maddening.

SCOTT: The hero s journey is boring and predictable. Mae is excited to join the Circle and we know from the get-go that she will eventually come around to seeing the Circle as the evil entity that it plainly is. There s not a single surprise in this movie. The only surprise is that the film was made and that good actors found themselves trapped in the Circle. So while Mae does undergo a transformation, we aren t impressed because we know it s going to happen about 10 minutes into the film. And even though Mae transforms, it s not clear in her acting that it s happened. You don t see it in her eyes or in her gait or anywhere -- except in the speech she gives to trap Bailey at the end. This movie is a true yawner.

GREG: I don t have your talent for clairvoyance, apparently, Scott. I can t see what isn t there. There is no hero s journey in this film. We never get to see what the leaders of The Circle want. We never see Mae overcome an obstacle because every obstacle is replaced with something beneficial: When Mercer dies, The Circle invents self-driving cars to eliminate car accidents. When The Circle realizes that all voting age people are members, they create democratic voting online. Is this good or bad? We can t tell because the ramifications of these acts are never shown. In the final act, when Mae exposes all of The Circle s emails, Tom Hanks turns to his henchman and says we re fucked. But we don t know why they re fucked - because we never saw a single email they sent. No conflict means no transformation and no story. The Circle is the most nonsensical movie you will see this year. It has no opinions about technology. Most of the technological issues it presents have been dealt with in the recent past - and in some cases decades ago. Some very fine performances from Tom Hanks and Emma Watson are wasted. I recently called out The Promise as a cause film which did not serve its cause. The Circle is a cause film without a cause. If you avoid one movie this year, make it The Circle. I give it zero out of 5 Reels. Mae is a likable and naive young woman with noble intentions. She loves her parents and wants to help them. She likes her friend Mercer, even if she can t return his love. But she never encounters any real obstacles and so can never grow. As a hero, she gets a mere 1 Hero out of 5. There are no transformations in this story. Except that I was transformed from alert and watchful to bored and sleepy. I give The Circle zero Deltas out of 5. Movie: 0 Transformations: 0 Heroes:

SCOTT: The Circle certainly was a gigantic disappointment. This movie should have gone straight to DVD or blu-ray. The plot is painfully predictable and the issues about technology are not explored in any depth or in any way that holds our interest. Only true diehard fans of Tom Hanks or Emma Watson may want to give this film a look. No one else should dare go near. I give this movie 1 Reel out of 5. Mae s hero journey is mapped out for us from the very start, and so its a major disappointment not seeing a single surprise from start to finish. We ve already talked about the lack of any meaningful transformations, so let s get right to the ratings: 1 Hero point out of 5, and 1 transformation Delta out of 5, too. Movie: Transformations: Heroes:
August 19, 2017
The Circle featured an all-star cast but had pure execution in this film based in a social media driven day and age.
½ August 19, 2017
Complete and utter shit. Tom Hanks should be ashamed
½ August 18, 2017
Terrible acting. Would not recommend.
½ August 18, 2017
A great premise but terrible execution. Disappointed.
½ August 18, 2017
keburukan sebuah teknologi, fil'a ngga bagus.. biasa aja, payah emang!
½ August 18, 2017
The talent is there, but the story is just so cliche and utterly stupid who the hell cares.
August 17, 2017
This is a good movie. Don't listen to the internet propaganda!!
½ August 17, 2017
One of the worst movies I've ever seen. It literly has no point to it.
August 17, 2017
It never really went anywhere. You get to the end and say what happened?
August 16, 2017
As someone who read the book, this was a very disappointing and frustrating adaptation of the novel, given the great cast of actors/actresses in this film. The screenplay, editing, and directing ranged from subpar at best to just inexplicably bad & horrid. The plotline had just no flow or purpose, so if you didn't read the book going into this movie, you would likely be loss throughout. The acting by some of the actors/actresses in this movie is the ONLY reason I gave it 2 stars, so it the ONLY positive solace I took from seeing this movie. Tom Hanks, Emma Watson, John Boyega, and Karen Gillian each gave somewhat admirable performances, given the beyond mediocre screenplay and dialogue they were given. They deserved better material given their acting talents. John Boyega's character was completely UNDERUTILIZED in this movie. Giving his character a larger role and development into the storyline could have VASTLY improved this film.

RIP Bill Paxton. Unfortunate that this disappointing film is the last movie of his memorable movie acting career. He will be missed.
August 16, 2017
oh this is bad movie but i think is ok
August 16, 2017
Very thought provoking movie. There are a few jaw dropping scenes. The ending is perfect.
August 16, 2017
Somewhat Interesting plot and good acting did save this horrible story.
August 15, 2017
An interesting look into our current technological and social climate. The film sets up a few promising pins, but never bothers to knock them down.
August 15, 2017
interesting movie, the end was really bad
½ August 15, 2017
A very surreal topic and theory is presented in this film. A company called The Circle creates a system that has eyes everywhere and establishes a world where there is no privacy to get the best out of humans. It is very scary to think that this could happen with the technology that we have. This film has an all-star cast (Tom Hanks, John Boyega, Patton Oswalt, and Emma Watson). In the film she talks about unfulfilled potential being her deepest fear, sadly that is what this film reflected (a great concept presented but not fully fulfilled to its greatest potential).
Side note: She's a dumbass for volunteering for the experiment. Three minutes to drop a dookie?!
Reminded me of a lifeless version of The Internship in a way. You know a movie isn't that good when you're just waiting for it to end so you can go to sleep.
½ August 15, 2017
I'm so confused by how bad this movie is.
½ August 15, 2017
Just don't really understand this one. I don't really understand what The Circle is trying to bring to the table and the talents of Emma Watson and Tom Hanks are wasted in the muddled, pretentious script that tries to sound smart by using a lot of big words and fast paced, technological chitter-chatter. Really quite boring.
August 14, 2017
Was an interesting concept at the beginning of the movie. Fell flat somewhere in the middle. The characters' motivations and actions did not make sense with what they were saying. Very dissapointing ending. 3/4 through the movie the train just fell off the track. Just play on fb and contemplate the intrusiveness of it in your life...then go take a media free walk for a while. Better use of your time than this movie! ??