The Circle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Circle Reviews

½ April 18, 2019
The Circle isn't a terrible film, but it's utterly stupid and even boring at times. If you've seen Marvel's Iron Fist, you'd notice that there were a lot of boring scenes involving boardroom meetings. The Circle is basically a lot of that.

The entire movie is just characters making dumb decisions. The movie starts out as a cautionary tale about mass surveillance. The movie even talks about the difference between security and mass surveillance, but when everyone in the movie seems to be okay with invasion of privacy, the message gets lost and it becomes unclear whether the movie is for or against mass surveillance.

Characters come up with absurd ideas for new technology and everyone accepts it without question. One of the characters was working on a technology that can reduce kidnapping, rape, and murder of children by 99%. Of course, that would be a good thing, but placing "chips in the bone" is obviously not a good idea.

In the movie, Tom Hanks plays the co-founder of a technology company called The Circle. He's promoting a new technology that's marketed as a revolutionary way of sharing, a ping-pong ball sized camera that provides real time video and he plans to install these cameras everywhere. The Circle is a movie that makes the audience feel smart because everyone in the movie is so oblivious to the fact that this new technology would lead to mass surveillance and invasion of privacy.

At first, Emma Watson's character seems to be the hope of humanity, as everyone willingly gives up every ounce of privacy and freedom that they had to social media. But she quickly takes the side of corporate and becomes "transparent", even though she seemed more aware of the intent of The Circle. This makes her character increasingly hard to root for, especially when an incident in the third act was due to her negligence.

The movie is well-made on a technical level, with serviceable acting and decent cinematography. Of course, for a movie about the future of technology, you wouldn't expect the movie to be anything less than sleek and stylish. But as a cautionary tale, it's boring, ineffective, and mostly dumb.
March 25, 2019
this movie was boring and predictable, maybe worth ONE watch, but its forgettable ...also emma was better as a little girl...
½ March 24, 2019
I don't care what everyone else thinks,I liked it. Didn't blow me away but I think it was better than what the critics said.
February 20, 2019
I have to say that this is one of the worst movies of the year... What a waste of talents
½ February 18, 2019
This film feels like it spent most of its budget on its well known cast, with well known actors like Tom Hanks and Emma Watson, leaving the set and plot to feel cheap and/or underwhelming for such a spectacular cast
February 17, 2019
Absolutely dire. No characters. No depth. An hour and a half of my life I am not going to get back
½ February 16, 2019
The Circle falls into the exciting (and timely) genre of dystopian near-future - I just wish it didn't fall so flat. The writers had so much fun brainstorming the implications of a totalitarian tech giant that they forgot their job was to tell a story.
February 15, 2019
The Circle is one of the four movies of the director James Ponsoldt, it was released in 2017 and is an American techno-thriller that talks about the technology and privacy but on the other hand make an emphasis between fame and the morality of the people.

One of the main characters is Mae Holland, a girl that works in The Circle, a company that focuses on technology and social media, the acting of Emma Watson is great, she takes you in the movie and make you feel what she lives and sometimes you can hate her.

The length of the movie is good because sometimes it could be a little tired the script, because of some scenes that are repetitive and if the duration were more it could be fatal.
½ February 4, 2019
Such an interesting script ruined by many poor choices, the poorest one was to cast Emma Watson, a child actress who got stuck on her first character and can only act properly on variants of this character, some might say lack of talent but I would say she is just lazy. If she was tall enough, I am certain that she would rather have pursued a modeling career instead.
January 20, 2019
Good movie. Makes you wonder. Worth watching.
½ January 18, 2019
The movie completely ignores the fantastic story of the book on which it is based, missing numerous important plot points and character traits and flips the end and moral of the book upside down.
January 10, 2019
Emma Watson joins a tech giant known as 'The Circle' which right from the beginning is very obviously based on a mishmash of Google, Apple and Facebook. On the surface it seems the ideal place to work with lots of benefits including the medical care her parents so desperately need. However, it soon becomes apparent that they expect a lot more in return and she finds her work, home and social life being monitored and scrutinised by the company she now works for. She eventually embraces this new way of living and helps to take the company forward with the help of nice guy but obviously sinister mentor Tom Hanks. It's not until she sees the tragic consequences of her actions that she realises she needs to escape or take the company down.
I thought this was a fairly decent film and it was good to see Tom Hanks in a different kind of role to his usual films. I think the film got it spot on in regards to how these big companies work and see the world, running their business interests and staff almost like a cult. The story seemed to me like the kind of story you would expect from the Black Mirror Universe, which is a good thing, I love these stories about how we live our lives now and how this could evolve into something a whole lot more sinister in the future.
December 30, 2018
Wow. This one....this one was something else. This was so bad that if I wasn't drinking an iced coffee at 10:30pm at night there's no way I woulda stayed awake for this one. The circle follows a young lady named Mae (Emma Watson) who recently gets hired at The Circle. The Circle is like a mix of Facebook/Twitter/any tech company you can name. They have recently released a series of small cameras that basically can be placed anywhere which in turn gives the Circle date on everything from people's habits to how well traffic works, etc. Mae loves her new job and eventually gets in well with the CEO of the company Eamon Bailey (Tom Hanks) and the COO Tom Stenton (Patton Oswalt). Eamon and Tom convince Mae to go "translucent" which means she wears a camera 24/7 and shares every aspect of her life with her viewers and followers through The Circle social media app. This soon complicates things as Mae's life is put on blast isolating her from her friends and family. One of The Circle's creators Ty (John Boyega) warned her about how The Circle is not all what it seems. Soon Mae realizes that the power that The Circle has is much darker than it seems. That's me piecing together the plot of this film. It just doesn't work. Emma Watson is normally great, but her character is super unlikeable here. Tom Hanks does great, but man he's in maybe 10 minutes total in this movie. The pace of this movie is terribly slow. It just doesn't know what it wants to be. Is it a suspenseful film? A mystery film? Nope nothing even happens until the last twenty minutes of the film and I am not even exaggerating that. The film's subplot with Ty should have been the focus. But it's barely even something thats touched upon. Ty as a character is wasted and this could have been the twist to everything. Also I gotta mention this Mae's childhood friend Mercer is played by Ellar Coltrane. While I enjoyed Coltrane in Boyhood (2014) this dude cannot act to save his life in this movie. He literally sounds like he's just saying lines. It's actually kind of hilarious and I found myself laughing during times that should have been dramatic. This is a movie to avoid at all costs. There's nothing redeemable here and I found no entertainment value from it what so ever. I didn't care about a single character and I while I thought this was going to be my final film of 2018 I don't want to end with a true dumpster fire, so expect at least one more film before Monday!
½ December 12, 2018
Thought provoking. Made me think about the line between knowledge and privacy which is so prevalent in our technology advanced society. A little over the top and falls flat at the end but definitely reflective. (69%)
½ December 10, 2018
shittest movie on the planet dont waste your time
December 9, 2018
The Circle acts like a wave, at times it seems to have an essential idea of what it's doing but then drops into a boring field of nothing later on.
November 26, 2018
It made me very uncomfortable, because it is so true to life in 2018. Big Brother is watching. The cast and story line are quite accurate.
November 24, 2018
gREAT STARS AND GREAT PREMISE...CURIOUS WHERE IT LOST ITS WAY.
October 30, 2018
After watching the movie, I finally understood why it was so unpopular, especially the ending. Egger's book sold you a bad-end in which the digital dytopia wins and consumes the main protagonist. The movie tries to sell you a "good end" by exposing a few corporate fat-cats but leaves you in the same digital dytopia, begging the question as to why they changed anything around at all. Somehow, the movie also failed to convey a lot of aspects about the Circle from the book that seemed pretty important, while at the same time leaving out a bunch of unnecessary stuff. But it is Mae's character that suffered most, by completely not developing her character at all. Beyond that, Emma Watson was - once again - completely unable to convince me with her acting. Somehow, I just don't think she's a good actress at all.
In the end, I don't think this book was movie material at all and probably would have been better off made into a miniseries.
October 21, 2018
A movie that so clearly tries hard not to convey any meaning or message whatsoever. Any idea and plot line it picks up is immediately missed and dropped in such a blatantly illogical manner, that it even hurts not to See the obvious distopian conclusion.