The Counterfeiters Reviews

• Oct 02, 2017

Overrated holocaust movie about jewish men forced by the Nazis to make conterfeit money. It was okay. I enjoyed the acting. But the story wasn't that great. It needed more suspense.

• Aug 21, 2017

Great film made all the better by the fact it's a true story.

Great film made all the better by the fact it's a true story.

• May 03, 2016

Extremely good movie about counterfeiters forced to forge British and American currency in concentration camps during WWII. Movie does an excellent job exploring the ethical issues of coercion.

• Apr 08, 2016

An utterly gripping Holocaust story of how even a character of shady morals can be driven in the worst places to rise up to become someone selfless. I could hardly take my attention away as the entire film played to the end.

• Feb 29, 2016

An okay film but does not pack any punches.

An okay film but does not pack any punches.

• Jun 17, 2015

A reasonable take on a story that's more interesting for the very fact of it than it is in the telling. Does a fair job of emulating the grainy yet lush presentation of mid century European cinema. Unfortunately, in its presentation of the compromises made by concentration camp inmates, and the way that man can become accustomed to the worst atrocities, it fails to strike an adequate balance between the empathy of the characters and the audience, failing to stir the kind of reaction any story like this should, no matter how many times it is told.

• Dec 17, 2014

2007 Academy award winner for best foreign language film. The counterfeiters, based on a true story set in world war 2 on the biggest counterfeiting in the history of economic warfare (operation bernhard) is a gripping, fast paced and thought provoking war drama brilliantly directed by Stefan Ruzowitzky.

• Nov 30, 2014

Dark, extremely well-acted; the protagonist's subtle, subversive resistance is inspiring.

• Apr 27, 2014

Thought this was a pretty solid movie. Low and behold, it won the 2008 Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film...as you know by now, my favorite category. Maybe that's how it ended up on my list but I'd forgotten and was pleasantly surprised. Watching it, I thought to be another low-profile but above average Holocaust movie...like Escape from Sobibor. Pretty solid story though I think they tossed some of the drama with the opening scene. In a Holocaust movie, one should never really know if the protagonist makes it through. It's evident from the first scene that Markovics character does. What that scene does not tell you is some other pretty neat stuff. All along, I'm wanting to scream at Burger for his goddamn principles. I, too, try to be a man of principle, sometimes to the point of fault. In the Holocaust, I thought he was unnecessarily endangering the lives of those around him - lives that would be ended if not for the project, and then all those offspring would never come to fruition, etc. By the end, however, Burger's heroism is apparent. So you have some fine acting. Markovic in the lead role is great (ha, someone on imdb said it was Statham's greatest role). He gives no emotion and is just a man all about survival and using his skill to do it. The Burger character has a little more range since he wants to put it all on the line, but another fine choice in casting. Finally, what kills me most is the fucking Nazis. I hate Nazis with a passion. Obviously, the evil aspect would do it for most, but how about the hypocrisy? When the Jew will do what it takes to survive, he is a coward or scum. When the table is turned, the Nazi always cowers like a baby. Goddamn Nazis. So a good flick. There are good and bad Holocaust movies, high-profile and low. I thought this was low profile while watching and that almost made it better.

• Apr 25, 2014

Karl Marlovics' exceptional performance is the pinnacle of the film. However, the moving parts of the storyline are hindered by the parallel moral complexities and dilemmas, altogether uncompleted at the end.