The Door - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Door Reviews

October 22, 2013
An incredible film. Subtle, dark with regular flashes of humor. Countless surprises as well as subtleties. Helen Mirren is her usual brilliant self and the other actors keep pace with her. I want to see this film again as soon as possible, as does the friend who accompanied me to the film. if you crave action-adventure, horror or light comedy, this is not the film for you. If you want a character piece well-acted, well-written and well-directed, run, don't walk to your favorite theater. I see Oscar nominations here.
½ August 10, 2013
Awesome view of the complexity of human (and animal) relationships and the vital effect of our history on all of us. Helen Mirren opens up to British ears to the human values and issues the europeans already have a much fuller appreciation of.
June 24, 2013
A failure in comparison to the autobiographical novel, but nonetheless a fair film. In comparison to the book, the film feels a little rushed, and large anti-Church sections have been irradicated. Still, a realistic impression of Hungary, and a fair rendering of the book's rendering of the period, and the characters.
June 9, 2013
"The Door" depicts the importance of the privacy and intimacy a person needs to live the way they desire. SzabĂł starkly showed how the places we live in (bedroom, house, apartment) are directly connected to our personality, and to what extent do we let people into our lives. Hellen Mirren gave one of her best performances as a reserved maid who protected herself with the door of her flat.
March 27, 2013
I love the multichannel storytelling metadiscipline of cinema. The Tomatometer of 44% and Audience "liked it" rating of 51% is unworthy of this work.
December 3, 2012
I found this a beautifully crafted film. A touching look at the relationship between two women who would otherwise not have had one but in the end, they probably shared the deepest of relationships. The art direction certainly set the tone for the film and the grace that was in those days when it came to simple things like preparing a meal. And whilst the film could be classified as a "chick flick", it is so much more than that. It's for an intelligent viewer for sure.
November 23, 2012
mostly for Helen Mirren. but fun, shocking and interestingly character-driven
½ October 13, 2012
Star performance from Helen Mirren but still unsure what to make of the story
½ October 1, 2012
Szabo' s last masterpiece with Helen Mirren is excellent as usual.
½ September 12, 2012
Helen, how, why? awful, inconsistent, drivel.
½ September 3, 2012
A slow burning highly moving film about a survivor of the genocides of the early 20th century in East Europe.
Mirren is as always totally convincing.
The story unfolds as the crusty old woman slowly opens up revealing just how far she had gone to protect an innocent life.
½ August 16, 2012
An odd little movie that completely loses its way by inappropriate casting, stilted dialogue and performances, overwrought drama, inadequate contextualisation, occasional dubbing, and disjointed scenes. Characters are difficult to sympathize with and while the themes the story deals with are deep the way this whole film is structured and executed leads to a viewing experience that falls flat and irritates.
April 1, 2012
Nagyszerű film, gyönyörűen fotózva. Hihetetlenül hullámzik a hangulata, megnevettet, aztán földhöz vág, majd újra megnevettet.
March 16, 2012
Klasszikusan az a film, amit órákig, napokig lehet elemezni............ ha a gyermeket nem kell lefektetni 45 percen belül. De, azért így is zseniális volt! Ha tetszett a Transformers 2., ezt semmiképpen ne hagyd ki :D
March 8, 2012
Amazing rhythm, beautiful pictures. It totally overwhelms the viewer emotionally, and, if you pay attention, intellectually.