The First Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The First Time Reviews

August 8, 2017
It's always difficult to take young love seriously. Even in this case where the film really isn't that bad but still somehow unbearable.
July 16, 2017
Story about two teens who meet at a party and hit it off immediately. I'm a huge fan of Britt Robertson's and think she's wonderful in this movie. Adult themed movie about how sex can sometimes ruin a relationship. One of the better teen romance movies I've ever seen.
March 6, 2017
Looks like a through back to (which is strange to say for a genre that was big not long ago) the teen comedies of the 90's
February 8, 2017
I was struck by Aubrey's claim (Britt Robertson) that she doesn't dance..."publically". Really? I didn't know such girls even existed. Where were they when I was young? Unfortunately, The First Time moves like a train, slow to gain momentum and slow to stop. When it's up to speed, however, it's enjoyable enough. Simon Daldry (Craig Roberts) is the highlight and had me smirking; but he is sadly underused. Aubrey Miller & Dave Hodgman (Dylan O'Brien) play off each other well and there is little doubt where the film is going. A wee bit too predictable.
½ December 27, 2016
This is not the best film you'll ever see, but it has heart, and the leading cast is lovable and the story is cute.
December 2, 2016
Three words to describe this movie: Cliché, Relatable, AWKWARD. If you watch the movie, you'll understand why I say that, but I can't say too much without giving it away. The First Time started very abruptly; there was no sense of a prologue or background information on either of the main characters, more or less the situation. Although that's slowly revealed throughout the movie, there are many plot hole involving parents, car crashes, and last names. The trailer covers the first twenty minutes of the movie, so feel free to skip ahead. You're not missing anything...

The score was perfect, admittedly. Every scene was instrumented perfectly to fit the mood and I would listen to all of these songs on their own. The lighting was very manufactured-there seemed to be little to no effort in making that effect seem realistic.

If you watch the movie, feel free to stop at 56:31. There's no advances in the storyline, really. The entire story is predictable, though it's humorous and relatable, which captures the viewer. The pace the movie went at was inconsistent: slow, fast, slow, medium, slow, fast. It wasn't a rollercoaster of emotions, but more a rollercoaster of "what is happening?"

I'd also like to point out that this is a very feminine movie. Aubrey (Britt Robinson) is portrayed to be the main character, but co-star Dylan O'Brien's character Dave, I personnaly see, as the main character.

I'd like to recommend the slogan of this movie be "Debatable, but relatable."
½ November 24, 2016
This movie was pretty stupid
September 10, 2016
The First Time is a great surprise by director Jon Kasdan, with a talented cast and a good story.
August 20, 2016
The First Time is an Honest Portrayal about teen love these days with a Beautiful Story and Cute Performances from Dylan O'Brien and Britt Robertson.
July 28, 2016
In love w this movieeeeee
July 11, 2016
Wonderfull touching film, represents the truth of life
June 15, 2016
THIS IS THE MOST ROMANTIC MOVIE i HAVE EVER SEEN! So great in following the arc of romance turning to love. Serious true love. THIS IS NOT A MOVIE ABOUT SEX! Though to read the critics here I question if they watched the whole movie but just a bit of it or they just faked it.

I immediately watched it a second tim and Britt Robertson gave such a great performance fighting her normal tendencie in a direct and very romantic way. I found it great that the lead guy knew he wanted her from the very beginning and became mostly the one who you never doubted his love of her. The bad sex part was only one of innumberable obstacles they had to overcome. It was not a major part of the 'falling in love' story. I found this movie to be very true with how people fall in love in real life. I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF THIS FILM!
½ June 12, 2016
This is an interesting screenplay. I don't even know how to describe it. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't a good portrayal of what is normal for these two.
May 13, 2016
Good look at teenage romance
½ May 3, 2016
"i'm so different, everything is so mainstream" Too much awkwardness. Save yourself the time and go watch The Spectacular Now.
½ April 28, 2016
This movie brings back memories
April 17, 2016
One of the characters in the film mentions that maybe the idea of sex is better than the actual action: perhaps that applies to the idea and execution of this movie too. The First Time is hardly the first time a teenage drama dealing with the idea of sex has been made, but for what it is, it works. It's not as refined, and definitely not as impactful, as other Sundance coming-of-age darlings (The Spectacular Now, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, etc.), but it mostly gets the job done. It sometimes seems to head into made-for-TV quality, notably in basically any scene featuring teenage characters other than the two leads, but it never becomes too cringeworthy. The real driving force of this movie is the aforementioned two leads, played by Dylan O'Brien and Britt Robertson. The pair share wonderful chemistry (which ultimately ended up blooming off-screen too), and their banter in certain scenes is almost undeniably adorable. They really manage to elevate the material they're given, which isn't always the best. Writer/director Jon Kasdan has lots of good ideas here, such as immediately thrusting us into the story with no real back story for either lead, but his dialogue is often pretty on-the-nose. If that kind of familiarity doesn't bother you, and you don't mind spending an hour and a half with this kind of story, The First Time isn't a bad time.
April 10, 2016
One of my favorite movies, it doesn't bring much to the table and it's a bit cliche. However, the movie pokes fun at cheesy material and I absolutely love the vulnerability shown by the lead actors. The theme is a sensitive topic that was well addressed and discussed. A vibrant and charming movie to watch.
January 25, 2016
one word... GREAT!! I loved it!!
January 6, 2016
I really liked The First Time. In fact i watched it again so i could write this review, my honest excuse haha. With two exceptional and charming leads in Dylan O'Brien and Britt Robertson it's no surprise that they made waves in 2014 and 2015. Even though it is a relatively short movie a lot of ground is covered in the relationship of Dave (Dylan O'Brien) and Aubrey (Britt Robertson). It also feels genuine and realistic in how the characters act towards each other which makes this movie even more relatable for the audience. The script for the movie is also great and it has a nice insight into a lot of teenage problems and fears which i also thought was great. I guess the only problem i can find with this movie was that i wish it was longer so i could see where the relationship would go but we can't have everything. A nice wee flick.