The First Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The First Time Reviews

July 28, 2016
In love w this movieeeeee
July 27, 2016
The First Time is an Honest Portrayal about teen love these days with a Beautiful Story and Cute Performances from Dylan O'Brien and Britt Robertson who seriously look Cute together, This movie steals our hearts by showing us how Love can be.
July 11, 2016
Wonderfull touching film, represents the truth of life
June 15, 2016
THIS IS THE MOST ROMANTIC MOVIE i HAVE EVER SEEN! So great in following the arc of romance turning to love. Serious true love. THIS IS NOT A MOVIE ABOUT SEX! Though to read the critics here I question if they watched the whole movie but just a bit of it or they just faked it.

I immediately watched it a second tim and Britt Robertson gave such a great performance fighting her normal tendencie in a direct and very romantic way. I found it great that the lead guy knew he wanted her from the very beginning and became mostly the one who you never doubted his love of her. The bad sex part was only one of innumberable obstacles they had to overcome. It was not a major part of the 'falling in love' story. I found this movie to be very true with how people fall in love in real life. I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF THIS FILM!
½ June 12, 2016
This is an interesting screenplay. I don't even know how to describe it. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't a good portrayal of what is normal for these two.
May 13, 2016
Good look at teenage romance
½ May 3, 2016
"i'm so different, everything is so mainstream" Too much awkwardness. Save yourself the time and go watch The Spectacular Now.
½ April 28, 2016
This movie brings back memories
April 17, 2016
One of the characters in the film mentions that maybe the idea of sex is better than the actual action: perhaps that applies to the idea and execution of this movie too. The First Time is hardly the first time a teenage drama dealing with the idea of sex has been made, but for what it is, it works. It's not as refined, and definitely not as impactful, as other Sundance coming-of-age darlings (The Spectacular Now, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, etc.), but it mostly gets the job done. It sometimes seems to head into made-for-TV quality, notably in basically any scene featuring teenage characters other than the two leads, but it never becomes too cringeworthy. The real driving force of this movie is the aforementioned two leads, played by Dylan O'Brien and Britt Robertson. The pair share wonderful chemistry (which ultimately ended up blooming off-screen too), and their banter in certain scenes is almost undeniably adorable. They really manage to elevate the material they're given, which isn't always the best. Writer/director Jon Kasdan has lots of good ideas here, such as immediately thrusting us into the story with no real back story for either lead, but his dialogue is often pretty on-the-nose. If that kind of familiarity doesn't bother you, and you don't mind spending an hour and a half with this kind of story, The First Time isn't a bad time.
April 10, 2016
One of my favorite movies, it doesn't bring much to the table and it's a bit cliche. However, the movie pokes fun at cheesy material and I absolutely love the vulnerability shown by the lead actors. The theme is a sensitive topic that was well addressed and discussed. A vibrant and charming movie to watch.
January 25, 2016
one word... GREAT!! I loved it!!
January 6, 2016
I really liked The First Time. In fact i watched it again so i could write this review, my honest excuse haha. With two exceptional and charming leads in Dylan O'Brien and Britt Robertson it's no surprise that they made waves in 2014 and 2015. Even though it is a relatively short movie a lot of ground is covered in the relationship of Dave (Dylan O'Brien) and Aubrey (Britt Robertson). It also feels genuine and realistic in how the characters act towards each other which makes this movie even more relatable for the audience. The script for the movie is also great and it has a nice insight into a lot of teenage problems and fears which i also thought was great. I guess the only problem i can find with this movie was that i wish it was longer so i could see where the relationship would go but we can't have everything. A nice wee flick.
½ December 29, 2015
Very awkward and unrealistic; however, it was a hard subject to make a movie about, so I do give them credits for that.
August 6, 2015
Since I love Dylan O'Brien it made the movie 100 times better but all together it was excellent! (besides the face Dylan is in it)
½ July 4, 2015
Tries really hard and fails completely. Dialogue appears to be written by someone who's never had a conversation in real life. All actions seemed to happen as a result of the writer/director deciding "this is what I want them to do right now" rather than as a result of "this is what this character would do." Dull and unrealistic. Someone's seen way too many 80's brat pack movies and thinks they've discovered their secret formula.
June 27, 2015
"The First Time" is a film about discovering new aspects of life. Dylan O Brien played a great lead and really captured the essence of the character he was trying to portray. Britt Robertson's character "Aubrey" is what let the movie down. As good as her acting was, the character merely annoyed me. It was almost too awkward for me to watch at certain stages as her personality seemed to lack something. She was a bit empty, there were parts of her personality that didn't quite click. The movie also had an unrealistic feel to it, as the two main characters fell in love in 2 days. It was almost like Romeo and Juliet. Dave's friends in the movie were the directors desperate attempt of comedy (which failed) and that also threw me off guard. Despite this all (and the predictability of the film), the acting was great, Dylan O Brien looked fabulous, the soundtrack was perfect and the concept of the film was well represented.
May 22, 2015
What I got to say about "The First Time" is that it's not a good romantic comedy movie at all. "It's dull and boring." The performances are okay. The directing and screenplay by Jon Kasdan is okay. The cinematography is good. Finally the score is fine. "What I have to report is that "The First Time" really tries to bring the romantic to the movie but it just doesn't work as well like the movie was trying to accomplish... That's not a good sign at all."
½ May 14, 2015
A good romance movie...especially for a film festival film.
½ May 7, 2015
conversations between two torned virgins.
April 26, 2015
i love this movie they have my two favorite actor as as and i been looking forward to this for 3 years now