The First Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The First Time Reviews

January 26, 2018
I thought this was one of the most honest films about teens and their first time! I think it was adorable and definitive the chemistry between the two leads, which they happened to be in a real relationship, made this film work for me!! Everything was fantastic but I love the ending the most because this kid, which we need MORE guys like him!!! Decided to come back to this girl and pursue her!! And that's why I think this film is fantastic!!
January 21, 2018
You don't watch a movie like this expecting a masterpiece, but it's a really sweet film. The main characters are very appealing and the story feels true. Mostly. Curl up under the covers on a rainy day and just enjoy the sweetness.
½ November 28, 2017
I just love, Dylan O'Brien and Britt Robertson... will see anything with them in it.
November 24, 2017
A surprisingly well made film that will pull at your heartstrings for an hour and a half. Memorable characters. Worth a watch.
August 8, 2017
It's always difficult to take young love seriously. Even in this case where the film really isn't that bad but still somehow unbearable.
July 16, 2017
Story about two teens who meet at a party and hit it off immediately. I'm a huge fan of Britt Robertson's and think she's wonderful in this movie. Adult themed movie about how sex can sometimes ruin a relationship. One of the better teen romance movies I've ever seen.
March 6, 2017
Looks like a through back to (which is strange to say for a genre that was big not long ago) the teen comedies of the 90's
February 8, 2017
I was struck by Aubrey's claim (Britt Robertson) that she doesn't dance..."publically". Really? I didn't know such girls even existed. Where were they when I was young? Unfortunately, The First Time moves like a train, slow to gain momentum and slow to stop. When it's up to speed, however, it's enjoyable enough. Simon Daldry (Craig Roberts) is the highlight and had me smirking; but he is sadly underused. Aubrey Miller & Dave Hodgman (Dylan O'Brien) play off each other well and there is little doubt where the film is going. A wee bit too predictable.
½ December 27, 2016
This is not the best film you'll ever see, but it has heart, and the leading cast is lovable and the story is cute.
December 2, 2016
Three words to describe this movie: Cliché, Relatable, AWKWARD. If you watch the movie, you'll understand why I say that, but I can't say too much without giving it away. The First Time started very abruptly; there was no sense of a prologue or background information on either of the main characters, more or less the situation. Although that's slowly revealed throughout the movie, there are many plot hole involving parents, car crashes, and last names. The trailer covers the first twenty minutes of the movie, so feel free to skip ahead. You're not missing anything...

The score was perfect, admittedly. Every scene was instrumented perfectly to fit the mood and I would listen to all of these songs on their own. The lighting was very manufactured-there seemed to be little to no effort in making that effect seem realistic.

If you watch the movie, feel free to stop at 56:31. There's no advances in the storyline, really. The entire story is predictable, though it's humorous and relatable, which captures the viewer. The pace the movie went at was inconsistent: slow, fast, slow, medium, slow, fast. It wasn't a rollercoaster of emotions, but more a rollercoaster of "what is happening?"

I'd also like to point out that this is a very feminine movie. Aubrey (Britt Robinson) is portrayed to be the main character, but co-star Dylan O'Brien's character Dave, I personnaly see, as the main character.

I'd like to recommend the slogan of this movie be "Debatable, but relatable."
½ November 24, 2016
This movie was pretty stupid
September 10, 2016
The First Time is a great surprise by director Jon Kasdan, with a talented cast and a good story.
August 20, 2016
The First Time is an Honest Portrayal about teen love these days with a Beautiful Story and Cute Performances from Dylan O'Brien and Britt Robertson.
July 28, 2016
In love w this movieeeeee
July 11, 2016
Wonderfull touching film, represents the truth of life
June 15, 2016
THIS IS THE MOST ROMANTIC MOVIE i HAVE EVER SEEN! So great in following the arc of romance turning to love. Serious true love. THIS IS NOT A MOVIE ABOUT SEX! Though to read the critics here I question if they watched the whole movie but just a bit of it or they just faked it.

I immediately watched it a second tim and Britt Robertson gave such a great performance fighting her normal tendencie in a direct and very romantic way. I found it great that the lead guy knew he wanted her from the very beginning and became mostly the one who you never doubted his love of her. The bad sex part was only one of innumberable obstacles they had to overcome. It was not a major part of the 'falling in love' story. I found this movie to be very true with how people fall in love in real life. I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF THIS FILM!
½ June 12, 2016
This is an interesting screenplay. I don't even know how to describe it. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't a good portrayal of what is normal for these two.
May 13, 2016
Good look at teenage romance
½ May 3, 2016
"i'm so different, everything is so mainstream" Too much awkwardness. Save yourself the time and go watch The Spectacular Now.
½ April 28, 2016
This movie brings back memories