The Highwaymen Reviews

• Aug 05, 2020

It's really good, I'd recommend it. I see a lot of critics saying it's too long, but I say those people have short attention spans. It's a good old fashion almost western like lawmen hunting down the outlaws. There's some decent realistic action and good set pieces. Costner and Herrelson have good chemistry. It's a simple story you can get invested in and have a good time. Nothing convoluted or over the top that requires a spin off or a franchise like a lot of movies these days.

• Jul 25, 2020

The Highwaymen is a quite good movie, I can't believe I have never heard of Bonnie and Clyde before this because they seemed very memorable. I would watch this movie again.

• Jul 04, 2020

Great movie that shows you the heroic side of the Bonnie and Clyde story. Our society is obsessed with idolizing killers, so the fact that this movie honors the law enforcement that took them down is nice. Critics hate this movie because it stars two white males. Had this movie been about Bonnie and Clyde's murderous adventures I'm sure they would have all said it was Oscar worthy

• Jun 30, 2020

Enjoyable and well made but fails to exploit the strength of the moral dilemma of the dangers of letting lawmen behave unlawfully. Oddly I found the beginning almost the most interesting with its picture of how lost men can become when they retire and lose their purpose in life. Telling that the Woody Harrelson character went right back to being a Texas Ranger until his death.

• Jun 25, 2020

We have seen a lot of detective-cop dramas and this doesn't do much to stand out. It takes very little advantage of its historical setting, 30 min could have been cut.

• Jun 14, 2020

It was an interesting point of view being seen from the ex-Texas Rangers and was very much just detailed around their particular involvement right up to the ambush. You won't see hardly anything of the gang's other crimes/exploits. I do get hung up on fairly big-name productions like this where they get stupid details wrong that would have been easy to get correct. For example, there are literally thousands of copies of what the front windshield looked like after the ambush/killing of Bonnie and Clyde and there were next to no bullet holes on the drivers (Clyde) side of the front windshield (a ton of bullets went through his side door and side window) but in the movie the entire windshield is riddled with bullet holes from edged to edge. Could they not have at least made that more true to the facts? It's a minor thing but it's also based on a very impactful photo millions of people have seen and then when some of them watch this movie they see that and think how many other details were completely wrong? Stuff like that aggravates me. But I won't be too picky. For example I won't also bring up the lanterns the ambush team used the night before the ambush were likely Coleman Quick-Lite lanterns that would never ever have given off the cold, bluish-white light shown in the movie. All lanterns of that vintage gave off a bright yet slightly yellowish warm light. Not a cold bluish white light that looks.......jeez..........kinda like LED lights. But I digress. I did like the movie and it was pretty good. I think possibly they gave a little more poetic license to actually giving them a chance to give up at the end and I think they really simply just ambushed and opened fire at them but I'm as much at fault for not actually looking up what the exact known history of that moment.

• Jun 10, 2020

An average film at best lacking any detail on the villains and with dialogue that could have been better. The plot was acceptable, but the writing was flawed as Bonnie and Clyde remained hidden for the entire film until the abrupt ending, and I have no idea why they had a fanclub as that was not explained. Furthermore, some plot points are a bit ridiculous such as the chase in the dust - they could have driven out of the cloud of dust rather than trying to follow Bonnie and Clyde within the dust cloud. It's silly that they actually managed to escape that way. The ending felt a bit over the top as excessive force was used, but perhaps that was what happened in reality. The acting was fine but not remarkable, the cinematography was fine, and the soundtrack was ok. There are much better films to watch, but if you're bored it's an acceptable watch.

• Jun 05, 2020

I've always enjoyed watching both Woody Harrelson and Kevin Costner, and in that sense it was worth the watch. But there really wasn't too much as per characters past them, especially Bonny and Clyde. It's one that you don't mind spending two hours watching, but I won't remember a thing about in another week.

• May 31, 2020

This movie shows why i dont trust critics anymore. If i took their word for it i would expect an average movie at best. But thats not the case, this is a GREAT movie.This is a movie we needed but did not knew it. The moral ambiguity and the way the story is treated is a fantastic work that manages to deliver the message right home. This is not a bonnie and clyde movie, this is all about the hunt. Thats why i am shocked people complain bonie and clyde did not get much screen time... Thats the point!!! Even more amazingly this movie does not glorify anyone. It shows the truth of the criminals murders while avoiding to glorify the hunters. The ending (which we all knew was coming from the start, still manages to grip the audience, and whats supose to be a "happy" ending, feels wrong. Thats one of the message of this movie. There is no glory in taking a life, even if justified. The actors did an amazing job transmiting this feeling, and we got a movie thats truly unique. A very welcome surprise for sure. Ive seen movies whith much bigger ratings that dont hold a candle next to this one. Dont trust the reviews, specialy critic reviews.

• May 31, 2020

A fantastic version of the Bonnie and Clyde that focuses on the heroes (the way it should be). Fascinating, mostly true, and extremely exciting.