The Ice Cream Truck Reviews

• Jul 31, 2020

I'm giving it one star for at least it's production quality. I'm not going to get into a lot of fine detail on this review, I just suggest you watch the movie yourself and see what you think. But, this is my take on it and no I don't like this movie at all. To me this was a guilty pleasure watch because of the odd gimmick of it being about a killer Ice Cream Man. If you want a better movie to watch, check out "Ice Cream Man" with Clint Howard. I initially decided to watch it because of not only the guilty pleasure side of it, but also the (at the time) 71% rating that it had. This was a real let down. So the movie focuses mainly around a writer/mother who decided to move back to the suburbs while her husband and children are with her husband wrapping up things at her previous home location/state. When I heard that my initial question was "Why were the kids not even with her?". It's different, I'll give it that but there is no real reason as to why she had to move back alone temporarily while waiting for the rest of her family to get there. Then she encounters her first neighbor and she comes odd, as well as the other women in this neighborhood that you will realize and nothing really comes of it. We are also introduced to the main antagonist of the film, the Ice Cream Man. There isn't really much to go on about his character, besides he is killing random people for no odd reason and it's three times throughout the film. There are various characters thrown in this, some that have no real development or purpose and one that does (surprise, it's the boy toy/love interest). It was laid down so thick throughout the film with the interaction between the protagonist and the love interest that the main character was going to cheat on her husband (as it was suggested oddly enough to her by one of the housewives). I would have been surprised if she didn't actually commit adultery on her husband, which for a moment I thought she wasn't. It kinda got annoying. I found myself at a point constantly saying "will you just get it over already". I wasn't quite sure what this film wanted to be, from the cover and the premise it seemed like a horror movie but it kept shifting tones. There were also a couple shots that lingered a lot longer than they should have as well, which disengaged me from the film. Wrapping this up, the ending to me was so...tacked on, possibly rushed. The set up was odd and the initial event of her meeting her love interest and having sex in a playground at night was hard to wrap my mind around. Some of the choices made by characters towards the climax were really confusing as there were clearly good decisions, yet the complete and utter opposite was made. This comes around to the the ending of the film where it's a twist and some characters that were presumed dead are not as well as her family arriving. This is where I'm sure all of us/most of us are going to get confused. I was taken back for a bit watching the ending and started realizing that her writing career and her trying to write a book may have been the answer for this ending. I understand probably what the director was going for about this, but if that's even the case it falls flat because there are then plot holes making the connection odd in my opinion. Ultimately, I didn't like this film. I feel if there was a singular direction given on this project it would have done better in my eyes or portrayed a solid plot. I was just in question about so many things once the film was done. Why were the neighbors acting so strange? What's up with the delivery guy who practically serves almost no purpose to this film whatsoever? Was this in her head? If so, why did it end like it did? What was the motivation for the killer? Why, the hell did you linger on a shot of him peeing in a toilet for what seemed like 5 minutes?

• Apr 27, 2020

i love horror movies that have a sense of humor, this is a great low-budget indie and I only wish they'd had more money to go all the way with it

• Apr 09, 2020

An Eerie And Nostalgic Satire Of Suburbia That Does Brilliantly For The Treatment Of Women; What 'Get Out' Did For Racism. Reminiscent Of Both John Carpenter's Halloween And Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. One Of The Decade's Best Horror Films

• Feb 08, 2020

Very suspenseful and about a thousand on the creepy-O-meter, so if you enjoy the genre, you will like the movie. Good acting by all the cast that makes the suburban theme very believable. The leading lady, Deanna Russo, showed her great acting chops. John Redlinger is not only a good actor, but very nice on the eyes too. Very unpredictable, you remain confused throughout and will never figure out the ending. Thumbs up~

• Aug 12, 2019

Production is good and soundtrack and actors are decent. That's about it.

Production is good and soundtrack and actors are decent. That's about it.

• Nov 13, 2018

The Ice Cream Truck is a weird pointless movie, and in order to dissect why we have to start at the beginning. Thirty something Mary (Deanna Russo) moves back to a suburban home she grew up in. She has a husband and a couple kids but they're not around for most of the movie as they are conveniently still back at the other house, leaving Mary to live here by herself for several days before they arrive. After she arrives she meets the most suspicious sounding, starey eyed awkward woman who wants to know just about everything about her. After that strange conversation she is weirded out by the out of place 50s ice cream truck driven by what looks like a normal dude in a 50s getup, then greeted by just the worst mover man you've ever seen. He's creepy he stares he lingers around the house too long after he's done. So already there's so much going on and we don't know what's important to pay attention to. The strange woman invites our heroine over for the graduation party of some kid she doesn't know, her friends are just as Stepford wives as she is which I was really hoping was going somewhere but it doesn't. One suggests she should cheat while she can and this creates the theme of the movie, lonely woman away from her family equals adultery. The kid which she does end up cheating with, because movie has to movie, is as creepy as the rest of the neighborhood. With his big staring eyes and persistence to make her forget she has a family and be unfaithful to them, so of course she does... and oh yeah the ice cream truck driver kills people randomly. Why? Who's to say. After a night of cheating on her husband the driver finally attacks the protagonist, killing the creeper boy toy and ultimately getting killed right back by Mary. She walks away looking traumatized, possibly changed by all of this horror... but na. We open on the next day when her family finally arrives, she's fine, the kids murdered are suddenly fine, and the neighbor lady is still a weirdo. The end. Why did all this happen? Who was killer man and why did he kill? Why was everyone in town so odd? Why did they all come back at the end? Why does Mary pretend nothing happened when it's all over? Who was phone? None of this is answered and that's why I'm not happy. I'm starving for a connection, something that explains anything I witnessed instead of lazily making you imagine the explanation yourself.

• Oct 07, 2018

It felt like two different movies sliced together. It was boring and predictable. "Twist" ending was just weird, with no real hook

• Apr 12, 2018

probably the worst in it's genre sedated actors which potential is unexploited, story is as absent as any sort of thrill not even jump scare..slashing part is just pathetic, the rest of the movie has long useless sequences ...the bad guy is a pale pathetic excuse for a killer dont waste your time, this is terrible, how can it get 67% rating ??? are you people insane ?

• Feb 12, 2018

The concept of the film was brilliant but the execution and bad acting did not work. This film did have some nice gory shots that helped move it along.

• Jan 23, 2018

this is one of the worst pieces of garbage i've ever watched. it is ridiculously boring. nothing happens. nothing. it doesn't even know what it wants to be. is about a wife who wants to feel young and wants to do the young neighbor boy? is it about a wife being alone and in danger of crazies? is it about a serial killer in an ice cream truck? i don't know. the movie doesn't know. this was a complete waste of time and i couldn't believe how dumb and lame it was. i can't emphasize enough how little happened in this movie. it was mostly about the wife thinking about the neighbor boy. so much that happens is completely unrelated to the story and plays no role. (1 viewing) SPOILERS the moving guy earlier in the movie that was super creepy, what was up with that. why is that in the movie. why is the whole movie about her and the neighbor boy? why is the ice cream truck driver almost non existent in this movie? why does he only have 3 killing scenes? why is the boy alive at the end? so i'm guessing she was just fantasizing and didn't actually cheat. not a bad idea, but executed disgustingly. so basically nothing happened and everything i watched was useless. but wait, the mover is back at the end. whaaaaaaaa???!?!?!?!?!?!?!