The Impossible Reviews

• Jul 05, 2020

Heart wrenchingly intense! This movie is PG 13?! I'd never let a 13 year old see it! Solid acting by a young Tom Holland

• Jun 28, 2020

Surprisingly well made.

Surprisingly well made.

• Jun 06, 2020

A gut punch of a movie that showcases the strength of the human spirit and the bond of family. This is the story of one of the many families ripped apart by the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami, but it still has a strong sense of community. Strangers coming together to support and aid during a life changing situation. It may be melodramatic in places, and the true life narrative tweaked for dramatic purposes, but that doesn't take too much away from the heart. Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor are both bringing some quality to work to this, with the standout for each being when they separately break down when they fully realise the magnitude of the situation they are in. Despite the quality work the two adults bring, we can not take away from the breakout performance of Tom Holland. He is most definitely the standout of this picture with a performance that is tragic and mature, as a child left with no choice but to be strong. The ending feels out of place against the pain, tragedy and sense of community that came before it. Its feels more like a studio note, rather than a true vision of the director or even the true story of the family this is based on. It feels too much like a Hollywood happy ending. Despite that, what has come before will leave a lasting impression. Beautifully shot and the tragedy is not sensationalised for the purpose of entertainment. Its raw, human and heartbreaking.... if you don't shed at least one tear... you're dead inside!

• Jun 02, 2020

The Impossible has a pleasant story, but it wasn't a memorable or enjoyable watch. In fact, at times it was dull. The beginning of the plot is the best bit, but the excitement ends after about the first 15 minutes, and for the rest of the film, not much actually happens - just lots of walking around a hospital for most of the runtime. The acting was fine, the dialogue was acceptable, although at times the main characters repeated names excessively (as if the writers didn't know what else to write) such as when they found each other, the visual effects were better than I expected but far from the best out there, the cinematography was nothing special, and I've forgotten the soundtrack. I didn't find it an emotional film despite it trying to be, and it could have done a better job of exploring the disaster. I understand that it was based on one family, but it would have been more interesting with some substance related to the natural disaster. In sum, it's an ok film based on a true story, but there are much better films based on true stories out there.

• Jun 02, 2020

Watched it when the lockdown just started, looking for a bewildering vibe of an apocalypse. Unsurprisingly, as moving as mediocrity...but have to admit that Naomi made so much sacrifice and really nailed it in this piece.

• May 27, 2020

It is hard not to be drawn into this incredible, true story, of a young British family caught up in the horrors of the Boxing Day tsunami of 2004. Starring Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts it really is a harrowing tale as the family members are separated during the disaster and have to struggle, not only to stay alive but also to find each other. It really puts the viewer through the mill emotionally and much of this is due to the top-notch cast and the graphically realistic, extraordinary special effects. The scenes of devastation following the wave are as horrified are awe-inspiring. This film is a great example of how to tell a story of a struggle against unbelievable odds and obstacles and how love and human kindness can win through. It does this without ever descending into mawkish over sentimentality. It is a genuinely uplifting movie though the journey is at times very uncomfortable to watch.

• May 27, 2020

While it was very well acted by Naomi Watts and the child who played her oldest son, I was angry thru most the movie at the fathers character. He leaves 2 young children alone ages 5 and 8 in a foreign country after what they just went thru? NO! Take them with you searching for others! And the oldest got to look at moms boobs? Was that necessary? Gross. I also felt unsatisfied at ending. Would have been nice to see a small clip from a year later and how the dynamic changed amongst them. Good, but missed the mark.

• Apr 01, 2020

okay movie, nothing sort of spectacular.

okay movie, nothing sort of spectacular.

• Mar 27, 2020

My first thought was, 'hey, isn't that Spiderman?' Yes, yes it IS Spiderman! The Impossible is a WAY better movie than it looks like from the trailers. It is schmaltzy and improbable and there is a crap ton of crying in it. Naomi Watts didn't really impress me much, as most of the movie she was lying on a bed with an oxygen mask on. But McGregor and Spiderman but did bang up jobs and even the two little kids did an ok job. I was tearing up through most of it. What is funny is it wasn't the wave that made the impact... it was the family wandering around through the bodies, with no way to communicate. It made you want to yell at the screen.

• Jan 13, 2020

This movie was troubling and very real. Naomi Watts takes on some of the toughest and gritty roles and does them great. Disturbing movie - was very good