The Killer Inside Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Killer Inside Me Reviews

November 25, 2016
It's amazing Kate Hudson and Jessica Alba had successful careers after taking parts like this, so demeaning to both of them, either waiting around for Affleck to beat, screw or kill them. It was unwatchable. Affleck wasn't good enough to distract from the dismal context.
October 23, 2016
I kinda checked out at the point where I thought the movie was over and the credits were about to roll and when I checked it turned out it had almost 25 minutes left to go. It was pretty cool and interesting for the first half or so, but it gradually started to poke at my suspension of disbelief, until by the time the fifth person had been killed in this dude's incomprehensible plan to get out of town or something, it was actively getting on my nerves.
½ August 8, 2016
Awful, barely watchable.
June 18, 2016
The appalling, graphic violence is simply too much.
June 6, 2016
Marvelous acting by Casey Affleck
½ May 3, 2016
I have to say that overall I liked the film and I don't think the problem is the way Winterbottom handles his actors, I think it's mainly script problems. I even enjoyed the fact that I was offended by the scenes of gratuitous violence.
January 31, 2016
Interesting Little Movie...!
November 23, 2015
I wanted to be sick. Winterbottom's choices make for an absolutely disgusting film with over the top glorification of violence against women.
½ October 20, 2015
An intriguing film that really surprised me, taking a look at the mind of a psychopath while wisely avoiding easy reasons for his disorder, and the brutal, overviolent murder scenes are shocking and disturbing, depicting with bold realism the whole extent of his cruelty.
½ June 14, 2015
I liked this... and there were unexpected twists... Every film with Casey Affleck, makes me think more and more that he is a better actor than his brother....
Clintus M.
½ May 4, 2015
"You don't fit the bill as a killer," newspaper man Joe Rothman (Elias Koteas) says to Lou, Casey Affleck's character. This severe underestimation epitomizes this melodrama, a brooding, mesmerizing period piece set in 1950s Texas. This admittedly controversial film should be a modern film noir masterpiece, but its graphic violence particularly against women may have doomed it to cult status. It's a twisted misogynist psychological thriller that depicts a sadomasochistic psychotic as well as I've ever seen on film. The aforementioned character is played by Casey Affleck, who continues to amaze me. His main character is kinky yet mysterious; he plays a sort of amoral calculating characters who both derives pleasure from and is disgusted by his horrible misdeeds. This film is brutal and seductive in equal measures, and although a period piece about small town 1950s Texas, its shocking brutality has a modern feel.
This is a more graphic version of The Last Picture Show meets Gone Baby Gone. The main character possesses an amorality rarely seen in film. He's so smooth his victims never see it coming, as he explains to one of them. Jessica Alba is wonderful, as his Kate Hudson-in a better role than usual.
The music, a combination of opera and western swing, creates a fantastically eerie mood also. I recommend this film to thriller fans, but be prepared-its extreme
½ March 6, 2015
This is a film that will inevitably put the viewer in a difficult position for many different reasons, though many of those reasons will involve violence. While not necessarily terrible, the story is paced quite slowly, but it seems so caught up in its orgy of relatively tame, yet quasi-sexist violence that it ends up going nowhere. The characters don't work as well as they should, and that's mainly due to the fact that the performances aren't very convincing. I think the film-makers attempted this film to have some emotional context, but the performances seem all too clinical to make any emotional impact. The film does present itself better than its written, but it looks very bland and dry, and by the end, it'll look as though they ran out of money for the special effects (as can be seen by the cheap-looking fire effects). Whether it was divisive or not, there's one thing I can certainly say one thing for sure: it was incredibly disappointing and boring, though not completely terrible.
January 9, 2015
This mornings distraction. France is going g through...RIP to all in the fallout.
September 10, 2014
the film refuses to resonate and justify its violence against women.
August 15, 2014
I'm not sure whether the hype for this film was a little misleading or whether I was just reading something into it but I thought this was going to a surreal journey into the killers mind, a glimpse into the void, but instead it played out like a David Lynch or Coen Bros film with all the quirks taken out.

Casey Affleck plays Lou Ford, a small town, hicksville sherrif where everybody says "yes ma'am, no ma'am, I'm sorry I just crushed your larynx ma'am". He's asked to investigate a troublesome prostitute named Joyce, played by Jessica Alba, which not unsurprisingly leads to Joyce chewing some pillow while Lou pounds away at her honey hued heiney. Before they get down to it though they indulge in a little role-playing, with Lou playing Sonny to Joyce's Cher,which she seems to take remarkably well.

They punch, they fuck, they fall in love and before long a plot is hatched to relieve the local Big Man on Campus (Ned Beatty) and his simple minded son of a large pile of cash. Unbeknownst to Joyce Lou alters a couple of vital details of the plan and before you know it things get very messy. Not to mention punchy.

Affleck is as good as advertised in this, though I think the nails down blackboard voice and the look of a feral choirboy, really lends itself to a role like this. Alba is decent enough, but she never really gives the role the depth it deserves and the film suffers because of it. She's a pert, pretty punchbag who loves Ford unreservedly and without question. You're supposed to believe she falls head over heels in love with Ford from the moment his fist first makes contact with her face, suggesting some serious submissive fantasy or desire, but after the first day their relationship, and the sex in it, is not really any different than any other.

Kate Hudson plays Amy, Ford's girlfriend, and to some extent steals the show - she's sexy, but subtly so. She perfectly encapsulates what Jerry Hall said every Southern lady should be - "a maid in the living room, a cook in the kitchen and a whore in the bedroom". If the film wanted explore further the differences between the public and private persona and whether what really drives us is our latent desires then she would have been a good place to start. Unfortunately she's never really afforded that status and is very much a supporting character.

The rest of the supporting cast do a fine job too - Ned Beatty, Elias Koteas, The Mentalist, Bill Pullman, but the material they're working with is somewhat slight - it's just an old fashioned, pulp fiction, crime thriller. It's beautifully shot however and moves along at a wonderfully languid pace, all of which adds to the authentic period feel of the piece. On top of that it's got the best opening credits I've seen in some time and a big firey ending, which I'm always a sucker for.
August 9, 2014
Though it never feels like Winterbottom has much faith in himself here, the performances were fantastic all across the board, and the cinematography was beautiful.
August 6, 2014
The Killer Inside Me is one of those movies where you ask yourself at the end: Of all the movies I could have watched on Netflix, why did I choose this one? This movie is violent and certainly not for the squeamish. It is likely that women would view this movie as misogynistic and therefore I would tell them to stay away from it. Having said that, the direction is well-done and Casey Affleck gives a good lead performance and although it's not a fun ride, it's a very interesting psychological study
August 3, 2014
Bien joué, mais très loin de la qualité du bouquin. Il manque toute une atmosphère oppressante qui faisait tout l'intérêt de l'histoire. A voir uniquement pour les acteurs et surtout Casey Affleck, qui est quand même super doué.
July 18, 2014
The Killer Inside Me is really not very good. Casey Affleck could only be considered a big deal as far as last names are concerned, but really leaves much to be desired as far as acting. Jessica Alba proves again that she is more eye-candy than actress, and Kate Hudson was wasted. Also, the film never explains why no one ever found the gloves or smelled the gas, or why the "bum" made the decisions he did. It was really just a mess.
July 13, 2014
This was an extremely disturbing movie and Jessica Alba was excellent in her role as a prostitute. The scene where the sheriff is punching her in the face is so hard to watch and yet believable that I had yell out loud stop hitting her...it was a horrible feeling to watch him hit her..but so relavant to the role. I think the movie is really good A+ a must see movie. 5 star