The Last Sentence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Sentence Reviews

½ October 9, 2015
10/9/15 Netflix

Black and White, sub-titled, set in pre war Sweden, what could be better. An interesting look at one mans courageous stand against Nazism but for maybe more personal reasons than it would seem.
February 28, 2015
good Swedish movie reminded me of my 90 year old neighbor who used to live next door to me back in the days
November 25, 2014
This tangible, romantic, political and conversational tale about a truly dedicated anti-Nazi who some thought would jeopardize the national security of Sweden due to his outspoken publications about Nazism and possibly drag his country into the war, is set in West Sweden before and during the Second World War in the 1930s and early 1940s and is impelled and reinforced by its cogent narrative structure, substantial character development, quick-witted dialog and the remarkable acting performances by Danish actor Jesper Christensen, Swedish actress and director Pernilla August, Swedish actress Ulla Skoog and Swedish actor Björn Granath.
August 25, 2014
The important thing to remember is that this film is a fictional characterization based on events and conditions surrounding the real Torgny Segerstedt and is not meant to be biographical in the literal sense. The symbolism of autumn leaves in a stream and the paternalistic adoration of dogs over human relationships are excellent touches that enhance the ageing protagonist's narcissistic character. By the end of the film you are left questioning whether Torgny was a good man or a self-indulgent bastard; and that is as it should be when realistically portraying the flawed character of the public hero as a saint with clay feet. The black and white cinematic treatment helps us concentrate on the psychological elements of each character and is in line with our mental bias that events of that period are recollected in muted greys. Though not great film it was overall an excellent artistic effort on the part of the director and the cast.
½ June 22, 2014
Solid, well-made historical drama, a tad dry.
½ September 20, 2013
Where is the motivation and above all passion?
August 25, 2013
Black and White, rather long and about Sweden in the 1930s/1940s. Many might not find it interesting but I found it fascinating, true story and all. Miserably sad destinies, nazies, dogs, love and hatred, politics, newspapers and a lot of staring and soul searching. Not to forget, a gorgeous mainly Sibelius soundtrack! Could have been a bit shorter for better rating.
December 11, 2012
...vacker film, men lite långsam ibland med stor tyngd på värkande samvete och olösta konflikter. Tip-top!