The Maze Runner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Maze Runner Reviews

January 12, 2017
Eh, the hunger games was far enough for me.
January 8, 2017
Can't wait to see Scortch Trials!
January 2, 2017
i love this movie so so much because it is so intense and adventurous and i am a big fan of movies like that and ii also love Dylan and Thomas because they are both great actors and these roles are are just made for them.
½ January 1, 2017
I was actually really impressed with how good this was. My expectations were so low going into it, that it kind of surprised me. Dylan O'Brien has been great on Teen Wolf for years, so it was a matter of time until someone gave him a franchise to lead. I think he did great in this. Keep in mind that I have NOT read the book, so my review is based on the film alone. It still has a few slow parts though.
December 30, 2016
It was a great movie and I can't wait for the movie to come out
December 28, 2016
The Maze Runner is a deeply flawed film that had a few scenes and a general concept that were strong enough to keep me from hating it. The idea of this society of young men who are trapped in a glade surrounded by a dangerous maze was intriguing. I wanted to know why this was happening, and how they would escape the maze. The premise had me hooked, but the way it was handled and the pay-off at the end were so disappointing it seems this might have been the first big mistake that led to the downfall of the Young-Adult-novel-based movies.

Problem #1 - The entire cast is bland. There isn't a single performance that worked for me and made me care about the characters. Even the lead, played by Dylan O'Brien, lacks any charm.

Problem #2 - They constantly undercut the interesting premise. *SPOILERS* So there's this maze and they're going to have to explore and find out how it works and how to get out, right? No, they've already mapped out the whole maze, and they just need to luck into a solution that will unlock something that is just a straight path and not a maze at all. But there's probably some fascinating reason that this is happening to the characters, right? No, it's just YA trope #1, a dystopian future government who wants to test children to weed out the most capable specimens.

Problem #3 - This is part one in a series, and not even close to being a complete story. There are a few different things that happen in The Maze Runner that are utterly pointless to this movie, but just feel like setup for the next installment. There's a girl introduced who literally does NOTHING, and yet there are flashes that she might have some significance in the future. They even leave the film on a cliffhanger where certain aspects of the story are never explained and it is implied that this movie was just phase one of their testing.

While The Maze Runner did contain annoying aspects, I wasn't expecting much from it, so I have to give it credit for at least making me care a little in the early scenes. In fact, I could be enough of a glutton for punishment that I might check out the sequel just to see what happens next. However, there's no way I would suggest anyone else waste their time on this movie.
December 26, 2016
Kiddy but i read the book. I liked it
½ December 26, 2016
Good, but clearly needs the rest of the stories to make better
½ December 24, 2016
I will have to give this film a 3.5 rating. This movie was ok. It wasn't amazing, but it wasn't horrible. The visual effects were great, the acting was good, and the plot was ok. Dylan O'Brien did a fantastic job as Thomas, the main character in this series.The problem with this film was that it wasn't really exciting and some scenes were uninteresting. This movie was overall not bad.
½ December 23, 2016
The Maze Runner may not be as compelling as its enjoyable source material nor as good a film based off of a YA novel as The Hunger Games but its talented cast including what just might be a starmaking turn for Dylan O'Brien and visual thrills help make it one of the YA movies that's better-than-average even if its ending may earn criticism from some audiences regardless of whether they read James Dashner's book or not.
½ December 5, 2016
yeah!! a new history to go inside of another world
December 4, 2016
This kind of feels like a nicer version of the Hunger Games. A world full of kids trapped in a woodland confinement, having been placed there by onlooking adults. The only difference is that rather than kill one another, they have to work together as a team to try and find a way out of a giant maze that borders the perimeter of the grassland. The maze itself isn't that exciting, other than the fact it has some robotic arachnid type predators called 'grievers' looking to sting anyone who takes a wrong turn. It's definitely one aimed more at the mature child, rather than the likes of Peter Pan that centres all on the kids too. It's not playful or humorous, but very Sci-Fi and definitely strikes me as a film that bases itself on the book without any form of deviation. I'm hoping that with this being the first in the series, the movies become better as the story progresses as it definitely felt like more of an introduction than an independent film. For me it never really got going, and lacked any real excitement. There were only a few central characters, none of whom were greatly iconic, but this at least gives the sequels something to build upon. I can imagine fans of the paperback version will love this as it puts their imagination into a more visual form of stimulation, but I found it just a tad too slow paced and sensible. Very little drama occurs and it required a lot more cutting edge in both the script and the acting.
November 29, 2016
Very fulfilling in premise.
½ November 27, 2016
Nice!!! Can't wait for part 2
November 24, 2016
Lots of mystery and intrigue. Good as a stand-alone. Don't watch the sequel.
November 13, 2016
If you haven't read the books you basically have no idea WTF is going on or the point of it all for 90 per cent of the movie. Will Poulter plays an annoying twat with his drag queen eyebrows as usual. Dylan O'Brien and Ki Hong Lee being beautiful kept me going. Entertaining but nothing special.
½ November 7, 2016
Not as good as the books but a good watch hopefully the screenwritersame will put more into the third movie the potential to be so much better is there. The 2nd movie could have been much better as well.. the trailer pretty. Much shows you all.ofhe excitement. I know.i already said it but it could have been so much better. So much detail left out from the books
½ November 6, 2016
A YA sci-fi movie that settles for raw emotion and exciting action instead of unnecessary narration and a forced love triangle. Where do I sign?
½ October 31, 2016
Boring film with boring actors
October 30, 2016
The Maze Runner (2014) - 66%
In simple, an interesting concept that was not executed to its full potential.