The Mirror Reviews

• 5d ago

At the risk of sounding like a philistine, I was not overly impressed with this movie, as I was with Tarkovsky's other films like Andrei Rublev and Solaris. Tarkovsky had an undeniable eye for photography, and this movie has a lot of promising scenes, but added up to be less than the sum of its parts. I understand the movie was meant to be somewhat dreamlike and stream of conscious, but the end result was a lot of eye candy, which, like actual candy, can be enjoyable in the moment, but ultimately leaves you unsatisfied.

• Apr 04, 2019

A Masterpiece of a Director of Photography.

A Masterpiece of a Director of Photography.

• Dec 24, 2018

Stunning photography, almost poetic story telling and great performances. An excellent movie.

• Sep 25, 2018

My first Tarkovsky film leaves me wanting more. Andrei doesn't feed you information and lets you think on your own. The camera floats around beautifully and helps you get sucked into a world that is confusing, beautiful and alive.

• Jun 11, 2018

When we see a film that leaves an impression in us, we often describe it as a dream-like film. In the case of The Mirror, we can't describe it like this, because it's just about some dreams or rather some memories that might be mere illusions. Although I hadn't known that before I watched this movie, I found that, for the most part, I was invested in the characters and I was caring about them. To my surprise, I was overwhelmed with many emotions, which are very different from each other, emotions of fear, tense, joy, sympathy, etc. In large part, that was due to Tarkovsky's poetic direction; the transition between a scene to another, the color changing according to the feelings not to the time, the harmonious music, and so on. The performances are also great and very realistic, especially from Margarita Terekhova who played two different characters. That being said, there are some subplots, or in this case I should say some memories, that I didn't care for at all, and I was so bored watching the movie at their times. Overall, Zerkalo is a film to experience, and this is my rating for experiencing it for the first time, and I'm sure it will be higher when I watch it again. (8/10)

• Sep 22, 2017

I can see it is an artsy movie, but I was not aware of what I was getting into and wasn't in the mood. I thought it was pretty and a bunch of individual scenes were captivating, but overall I felt so so about it.

• Apr 14, 2017

I think it was good. It was very mesmorizing. I probably need to see it 12 more times in order to fully appreciate it.

• Feb 04, 2017

Fluid, watery dreamscape with a narrative that could be construed as being a bit uneven if you are not familiar with Tarkovsky's work. Otherwise enchanting, jarring and beautiful.

• Jan 25, 2017

Not really sure what went on, but whatever was going on, it appeared graceful.

Not really sure what went on, but whatever was going on, it appeared graceful.

• Jan 18, 2017

Classic Tarkovsky which may be almost unwatchable for average moviegoers but certainly a must watch for art film lovers.