The Oranges - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Oranges Reviews

½ August 15, 2016
Entertaining but ultimately somewhat flat comedy about a middle aged guy dating his best friend's daughter. There are some funny moments, especially when the film dares to be a little naughty, which isn't too often. It doesn't help that the ending has to follow the conventions of Hollywood comedies and that big age differences can never work out. A wasted opportunity to be somewhat different. The cast works, though.
½ June 8, 2016
A sociopath comes back to reek havoc on a family by preying on a married man that can't control his urges. Backed with a musical soundtrack that makes you feel it's ok to cheat as long as it makes you happy and forgot everyone else. Two thumbs way up your vitures.
February 20, 2016
a sharp black comedy that doesnt really reach as many poignant moments as youd expect but does offer something
November 15, 2015
I liked it better than the critics did. Oliver Platt, Alison Janney- outstanding in whatever they do. Decent movie. Not great, but decent.
½ September 24, 2015
The cast is what enticed me to watch this, even with a poor trailer. Unfortunately the movie is even worse than the trailer. The comedy attempts are terrible, and the drama is never very good or compelling. Just a waste of a good cast.
September 19, 2015
Funny at times, but just so wrong. You do not go and date your dad's best friend. Not ever. Excellent cast was kind of sadly wasted in this dumb story.
½ April 26, 2015
It's funny & frustrating all at the same time
April 19, 2015
Okay, we watched this today and were entertained. It's not a great movie, but it moves along with a few laughs, some uncomfortable. Good to see Hugh Laurie is still working. Probably won't change your life, but it was entertaining!
December 30, 2014
Another stupid romance movie. Disgusting movie and why is it called oranges. An old man kissing a teenager, pretty disgusting. Terrible
½ December 27, 2014
The story in interesting but not believeable? The only girls I've ever seen hooking with mediocre older men have had bad fathers...plain and simple. Girls with much older men [the exception is if the man is incredibly attractive, successful, rich and/or powerful] always 100% have bad dads. The dad in this movie is great. The older man is balding, homely, slightly interesting...but assuming he's none of the parentheses...no way! The End
December 13, 2014
that drama which , yes weird
December 11, 2014
Interesting and easy to watch, great cast and acting.
December 2, 2014
La verdad es que no paso la hora y el único grupo que había en la sala se retiró y es que la verdad creo que la película tiene la consigna de parecer una comedia divertida y resulta que no es así.
½ November 30, 2014
This absolutely takes the cake on the exulted "List of Movies I Want to Punch in the Face." Everything about this film is so irritating, especially in the way it tries to be quirky and funny and fails on every level.
Harlequin68
½ November 11, 2014
In "The Oranges," David(Hugh Laurie) & Paige(Catherine Keener) and Terry(Oliver Platt) & Cathy(Allison Janney) are a pair of close knit middle aged couples living across the street from each other in suburban New Jersey. So much so, that David and Terry jog together every morning and they all celebrate the holidays together, even as Terry and Cathy's daughter Nina(Leighton Meester) cannot make it home in time. That holds true until her scumbag of a fiance, Ethan(Sam Rosen), cheats on her. And when she does come home, she warms up romantically to David while his daughter Vanessa(Alia Shawkat) seethes in her room and at work.

While maybe not looking like much on the surface, "The Oranges" succeeds by a being a comically perceptive movie about suburbia that is aided by an excellent cast, especially Hugh Laurie who underplays magnificiently. The movie is kind towards its flawed characters and even handed in showing that suburbia can be a comfortable place to be while also a trap of sorts. For example, Tina who at least has a life of her own makes some huge mistakes in the movie but is at an age where she can recover and learn from them whereas Vanessa does nothing more than just complain in retail purgatory.
September 22, 2014
haven't seen it but bloody hell its a masterpeice
August 26, 2014
Haven't finish watching it yet, cause mom interupt me all the time, well i hope i still get another chance. I found it a little bit funny and unexpected and strangeee..
July 28, 2014
The reviews weren't great on this one, but I didn't mind it. Nothing original here as an older man has an affair with a much younger woman throwing the live his their families into chaos...but the veteran cast keeps it engaging. Hugh Laurie, Oliver Platt, Alison Janney and Catherine Keener are all worth watching, and it kept my attention. Give a try
½ July 12, 2014
Awkward acting, obvious awkward lack of chemistry and very awkward to watch. Nothing seemed to work for this film, unfortunately.
July 5, 2014
I'm surprised at the bad reviews. I enjoyed this.
Storyline is a bit iffy with younger girl falling for her father's best friend, who also happens to be married, but it's really well done and the cast are excellent. It's a drama, but there is a kind of black humour to it, and it's kind of a Xmas movie too, which I didn't expect.