The Other Son - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Other Son Reviews

July 8, 2016
This is a very interesting film that raises many questions about identity in general, not just in the context in Israel. What makes us who we are, our blood or our upbringing? And what happens if we're adopted, is there something, anything inherent in our being that makes us who we are despite the people around us? Purely as a piece of cinematography, it's a good film and well acted. As a social comment, or as a piece of art that raises relevant questions about human social identity, it's a lot more. And what happens in a situation where babies are mixed up, and raised outside the social context of their birth parents? How should both families proceed once they find out about the mix-up? Essentially, a mistake can brings people together. The outstanding problem, remains the society the families live in.
January 6, 2016
A compelling drama that relies on the charisma of its two main characters and the way they deal with a delicate situation, but it leaves some loose ends and tries too obviously to make a statement, ending on a rather frustrating, optimistic note.
December 25, 2015
Thought-provoking if rather simplistic.
April 27, 2015
I just happened to see this film while channel surfing HBO last night. This story,about about two college aged boys, one Palestinian the other Israeli switched accidentally in the hospital at birth, seems so incredibly improbable as to have no chance of being a believable film. But , against all expectations it is more than believable; it is a good, sensitive and very human movie. Thought provoking, it avoids sentimentality but remains a warm touching exploration of two families working through a situation difficult under any circumstances, let alone in the setting of the Palestinian / Israeli conflict. Beautifully done; succeeding on many levels, I heartily recommend this to anyone who feels even the smallest interest and empathy for the human element on both sides caught in the difficult nature of the current hostilities. It is not a perfect movie, but the excellence of the script, performances and direction overcome the movie's flaws and make it well worth seeing.
½ March 4, 2015
What a well done story that hits at so many levels! Imagine finding out that you are suddenly not who you are and this even effects how your loved ones perceive you. Nature, nurture, and more.
½ July 24, 2014
Babies switched at birth is an ancient story device (done to death by Bollywood film) but what happens if they go to a Palestinian and an Israeli family? Beautiful humanist film that explores the 'nature vs. nurture' debate and examines how identity is defined and shaped.
June 27, 2014
One of my all time favorite films. ISRAELI is really Palestinian and
PALESTINIAN is really Israeli... they find this out as teenagers.
½ June 10, 2014
A moving story which shows that hate and religion are two sides of the same coin. Lovely premise and wonderfully unfolds a tale of two cities.
½ March 27, 2014
An interesting story about two boys accindentally switched at birth. The story's getting more interesting when they're parents finally found out the truth, especially when one's Israeli and the other Palestinien.

Interesting and we'll acted, but I'm hoping for a better ending.

If you're looking for a nice-lightweight-drama, you should see this. I'm not saying you must, but you should.

My Rating : 3.5/5
March 12, 2014
The switched-at-birth story becomes fresh and all the more complicated in this Jewish-Palestinian setting. Nature versus nurture. Culture versus faith. Love versus hate. So many questions left me, the viewer, pondering for days.
½ January 20, 2014
An intriguing, well acted story about two boys accidentally switched at birth, and how they and their families discover the truth after one of them applies to be in the military. This is a fascinating coming of age movie concerning identity, religion, politics, and allegiance to one's country, and how to deal with an impossible situation with no simple solution. As said, the acting is really solid, and the handle director Lorraine Levy has on his material is evident. The story hits a few lulls once in a while, but for most of its running time it is arresting, original, and ultimately pretty heart-breaking, even though it ends as positively as it possibly can given the circumstances of the boys and their families.
January 2, 2014
excellent movie; the acting was superb and the topic matter unique.
December 16, 2013
Uma troca de bebês é o ponto de partida de um filme envolvente e emocionante mostrando a força da cultura e como a não intolerância pode tornar a vida mais fácil, leve e alegre. Um dilema com fortes e profundas raízes culturais resolvido com muito amor e pequenos gestos.. Um filmaço imperdível !!!
½ November 30, 2013
" Two families divided by fate. United by understanding."

The Other Son toca un tema polémico que es el de el conflicto árabe/israelí y lo aborda desde un plano idealista y hasta utópico. Las vidas de Joseph y Yacine cambian para siempre cuando se enteran que fueron intercambiados por error cuando nacieron y no pertenecen a sus familias biologicamente. Obviamente con tal revelación todas las personas involucradas reaccionan de distintas maneras y tratan de resolver de mejor manera esta situación. Joseph se ve angustiado con la posibilidad de no ser judío, y Yacine se encuentra ante la disyuntiva de aceptar su nueva identidad cuando es gracias en gran parte a los israelíes es que él y su familia viven oprimidos. La película hace un buen trabajo en el mensaje que brinda, que hay que dejar las diferencias de lado y tratar de encontrar un punto de reconciliación, pero el mensaje ya está lo suficientemente claro, y pareciera que tratan de manipular y presionar para que el público se sienta conmovido, porque surgen situaciones durante toda la película que son irreales y hasta idealistas. Si el mensaje hubiera sido más sutil, toda la película se hubiera visto beneficiada. También las actuaciones se quedaron corta ante las circunstancias al igual que el guión en ciertas partes.
November 9, 2013
the story is about two family discovered they were accidentally swicthed their son at birth. the issue is this two families has culture and religion which very contrary. the movie brought problem based on reality about dispute between Jewish and Arab, Israel and Palestina. a sentiment movie with cross culture and religion dilemma idea. this is a great inspirational,interesting and tolerance movie . type of movie like this very depend on its ending. it will very bad or it will very good. and we can see the rating. this movie success brought us great and fit ending. an education movie for a better world.
October 14, 2013
Nice movie. Very touching. Good lessons for everyone...rather quickly done ending, though. Hate when they do that.
½ October 7, 2013
a sensitive portrayal of a difficult situation!
September 19, 2013
This is a very worthwhile film .
½ September 16, 2013
A truly wonderful film. and all the better for not descending into the melodrama it could so easily have become with such a plot. The excellent script and honest but restrained performances made this film what it is--a plea for understanding and peaceful coexistence in a world rife with fanaticism and strife.
September 13, 2013
One of the best 2012 film. Saw it yesterday while stuck in Boston Logan airport
"The Other Son" is the moving and provocative tale of two young men -- one Israeli, the other Palestinian -- who discover they were accidentally switched at birth, and the complex repercussions facing them and their respective families