The Patience Stone Reviews

• Oct 19, 2015

Aqueles que não sabem fazer amor, fazem guerra

Aqueles que não sabem fazer amor, fazem guerra

• Jan 23, 2015

Loved this movie. Great story telling every moment. Sadly, it reminded me of my own marriage in the USA.

• Nov 24, 2014

The movie is slow for your typical western filmgover but not for those who is familiar with good foreign films. The story telling and the acting was absolutely superb. The intricate family drama was unfolded in a methodical and captivating way.

• Oct 18, 2014

Quase uma fábula juvenil sobre repressão sexual e a vida em um mundo com poucos momentos de gentileza.

• Sep 21, 2014

If you like your film methodical, slowly kindling to its dénouement, THE PATIENCE STONE is just for you. If you like to discover a world other than your own, in which the realities are far harsher and the sacrifices are almost daily expectations, THE PATIENCE STONE is just for you. TPS is a smart person's film. There is no romanticism here. The feminist doesn't even know that she is one. There is no happy ending. There can't be, after all it's real life. Even in its more comical aspects, never played for comic relief, the humour stems from the film's tragic components. And a grim tragedy it is indeed, painstakingly unfolding in Afghanistan-born Atiq Rahimi's probing French-German-UK co-production filmed in Persian Farsi starring the naturally alluring Golshifteh Farahani, a successful Iranian star, letting all her inhibitions out to reveal a raw and honest performance. Yet for all of its grimness the film is not without hope. Ultimately, here is something beautiful in THE PATIENCE STONE that perhaps Rahimi brings through his aesthetic sensibilities or Golshifteh delivers through her mesmerizing, if not pained, performance. Could be that the two were destined to contribute to THE PATIENCE STONE's beauty, ironically revealed through its ugliness. Perhaps Rahimi found his muse. 100% true is that the audience is the benefactor of this perfect marriage between visionary artist and celebrated star. THE PATIENCE STONE is worth its weight in gold.

• Aug 03, 2014

I thought this movie was beautifully thought provoking. I was on the edge of my seat listening to her stories. It was easy to sympathize with her. Especially when she a crisis of conscience. The ending was fairly abrupt and unexpected. I do think it was fitting and lets the viewer come up with there own ending. I liked to imagine a happy ever after for the two lovers.

• Jul 30, 2014

Just finished watching this outstanding movie - can be slow but what an insight to another country - thank goodness I am a woman in America although our freedoms are changing

• Jul 27, 2014

The premise is simple, but the stories we hear are anything but. In a war-torn country, a woman takes care of her comatose husband. While doing so, she eventually tells him how she really feels about their life, she confides secrets, and she shares dalliances. It is yet another reminder of the societal role of women in other cultures.

• Jul 15, 2014

The Patience Stone, set in war-torn Afghanistan, is a dramatically sparse, insightful, provocative tale that tells the deepest secrets of a woman (actress Golshifteh Farahani - omg'dess!) given in marriage to a much older man who, at the start of the movie, lies comatose with a same-side-Jihadist-bullet in his neck. The foreign-film-ending does not give us all the answers, leaves us hanging. Perhaps with her? We don't know. I love that about foreign films.

• Jun 28, 2014