The Pretty One - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pretty One Reviews

February 20, 2016
Okay movie to waste some time
January 12, 2016
This was a very off-beat and truly quirky film - there were a lot of moments that really reminded me of Eagle Vs. Shark, which is truly the most awkward film I've ever seen and there are definitely some moments in this that just have you grinding your teeth in cheesiness... BUT. BUT BUT. the twist is oh-so heavy and came at the perfect time. As for the dramatic action of the film, it's not too terribly great, but it's not bad either. This is a pretty run-of-the-mill festival feature that's strength is its cast, really good casting. Other than that, nothing too tremendously special.
September 17, 2015
Vanligt switch-tema men annorlunda utförande av storyn. Lugn och lite sorgsen men också mysig och lite småkonstig. Jag fillar den :) (+ Jake Johnson aka Nick i New Girl <3)
July 14, 2015
The story idea is an interesting one, but they don't quite pull it off fully. I did like Zoe Kazan though and it is worth a watch.
½ February 23, 2015
Zoe Kazan is proving to be quite deft at these quirky comedy-dramas. The subject matter could have turned out to be quite misjudged (and looking at the score on Rotten Tomato's not everyone took to it) but I found the film to be quite endearing.
February 14, 2015
This has a decent performance by Zoe Kazan. I did not think I would like this movie, but it ended up being more likeable than I expected. It's a nice small film that hits a few sentimental notes.
January 5, 2015
Okay, so I don't know how they do the one actress playing two people in the same scene. It was seamless. Compared to other reviewers, I didn't find anything cliché. (I guess I missed all those other movies.) The cast seemed just perfect for the story. Kazan is fun to watch. Jake Johnson helped anchor the plot by being the off-beat love/hate interest (okay that is cliché, but he did it well). And the way the movie handled Laurel's horrendous choice seems the opposite of whimsy, so I don't agree with those who portray the movie as shallow and trite. The actors, script and direction make it well worth seeing. I'll watch it again.
January 2, 2015
Strong performances highlight this strange little movie that deals with how people perceive themselves and the others around them. The script is pretty good but the direction is soft. It's not bad...but it's not great.
December 28, 2014
For romantic-comedy standards, this one is pretty good. Usually it gets weak when they have to split up, but this one is very reasonable about it.
½ December 27, 2014
Really liking Zoe Kazan as an actress. She plays her own twin through the first part of this.
Hard movie to describe, but I really did like this one.
October 19, 2014
The pretty ones is it ok drama about two twin sisters after 1 sister gets a haircut to look like her sister one of them dies and she takes the other sister's life trying to have a better life for herself. C+ (2014)
September 26, 2014
movie was good, although i will say, what a creepy way of finding yourself...lol
½ September 8, 2014
A strange tale of one sister stealing the other's identity to see the world she never knew existed. Kazan and Johnson are solid and while the movie is beautifully shot, it is the tone that suffers a bi
½ September 2, 2014
Zoe Kazan is really charming but Jenée LaMarque's story of twin sisters who are complete opposites of each other and one of whom takes over the other one's life doesn't fully work.

I found The Pretty One trying too hard to be quirky when Kazan's has a natural quirkiness to her. It tried too hard to be hip and the result is mostly forgettable. The best moments come when Jake Johnson and Kazan interact but he's gone for a large portion of time as Kazan tries to sort out her life and emotions.

Bland.
½ August 24, 2014
Johnson & Kazan show just enough chemistry to save this from being too twee.
August 20, 2014
awkward but funny story of a girl who blossoms after an accident tales the life of her twin sister. the lame duck of the family takes on her sisters role and finds herself.
½ August 16, 2014
Zoe Kazan (Ruby Sparks) plays identical twin sisters Laurel and Audrey who are as unlike as two people can be. Laurel is a meek homebody who has decided to remain in her small hometown to look after their widower father (John Carroll Lynch - Shutter Island) and Audrey is the sister who left the small town world behind her and found a comfortable job selling real estate in the city living it up with a few different boyfriends and a group of catty, materialistic friends. When the opportunity arises for Laurel to take the place of Audrey, she jumps at it and discovers what others have believed and felt toward the sisters all along while also finding herself in the process. It is a quirky and at-times dark coming of age tale that is promising but not wholly successful as it too easily falls into predictable rom-com traps once Laurel meets Audrey's nice neighbor played by Jake Johnson ('New Girl'). Kazan is cute and charming in her role(s) and she pulls her trick off with a nice balance; but the film wants to be poignant and it falls short.
August 12, 2014
The performances by Zoe Kazan and Jake Johnson are great, unfortunately that's about it.
½ August 8, 2014
bati..bati nawng ang lalaki..bati ang plot..if only i can give it 0 stars..
August 4, 2014