The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge) Reviews

August 14, 2017
I was blown away by this film. I fell in love with Studio Ghibli years ago, specifically with films directed by Miyazaki. I've been hesitant with other directors' works within the company as they don't always turn out so well. This one, however... I was speechless during the credits. The animation was simple but beautiful, the score was breathtaking, and the message was absolutely profound. My one disagreement (which in no way affects my rating of the film) is the rating. I don't believe The Red Turtle should be rated PG due to the depth of the theme. I watched this with family members, including a 10-year-old who was mildly disturbed by some scenes, not at all due to violence or distress. I believe the film should be rated PG-13 if simply for thematic reasons.
½ August 9, 2017
A gorgeous animated film that doesn't need words to profoundly move us, making it really hard to keep our eyes dry while watching it. Full review on filmotrope. com
July 29, 2017
Simple and moving story, of nigh biblical proportions and themes. It raises questions of man's destiny and where his happiness lies. But what is powerful about this movie is that it leaves interpretations of its meaning open.
July 28, 2017
A really solid, beautiful animated film co produced by Studio Ghibli. The film has no dialogue at all and follows a shipwrecked man who ends up on an island where attempt after attempt to leave the island is thwarted by a female red turtle that keeps destroying his raft. There's more to it, but it would take away from this already short film. The movie has a really good message about mother nature and man and how our interactions with the land differ depending on what's going on. It's a surprisingly deep film that really works well with no distractions (aka put your phone away for this one). It has a Studio Ghibli feel to it, but there's a lot of unanswered questions by the time the credits roll. Fans of animation definitely give this one a look!
½ July 26, 2017
The Red Turtle (La Tortue Rouge) after thoughts: seeing this nominated on the Academies, heightened my curiosity. Simple story with adult themes (not for kids). I loved the animation a the similarities to Cast Away & Blue Lagoon. Difficult to see how I would deal with the same situation but felt very connected with the characters. The film is silent & I really don't even recall anyone speaking. Use your local library for availability. ????????.5 of 5 (2.5 of 5)
½ July 20, 2017
The red turtle is an amazing fable tale with a powerfull meaning about the whole life. The movie offer a beautiful and absorbing animation that make an excellent athmosphere for tell a well constructed story without dialogue, but with a lot feeling.
½ July 8, 2017
Beautiful, lyrical. Not to be missed.
July 5, 2017
Chris' Taking A Look Back (For More, visit our Facebook page "Brotherhood Of Okay Reviews)

The Red Turtle (2016)

Rating: 6/10 (Fine)

This was a movie that got nominated at the Oscars but, to my knowledge, wasn't playing anywhere close to me at the time. That and I'm not even sure if it was playing in America. but regardless of that, The Red Turtle is a film that took me awhile to get around too. And being the semi Ghibli expert that I am, I had to watch this movie eventually. Now it's just a question of whether or not it was worth my time viewing?

Plot Summary

A man gets trapped at sea during a storm. After everything clears up, he awakes on a deserted island. Without much hesitation, the man starts to build a raft. But then he comes across a turtle that keeps destroying his potential rides home.

The man is stuck, frustrated, and has a taste for vengeance towards a certain red turtle.

Review

The Red Turtle is a silent film (other than the occasional yell or "hey"). So the strength of the movie comes from depicting emotion from the characters and creating atmosphere from their side surroundings. And The Red Turtle semi exceeds at this.

For starters, this film is sort of slow. It's not too say that dialogue is needed to progress a movie, Transformers is a good example, but the film is slow in it's pacing. Scenes will drag on a little too long to get their point across. Which, yes, they are trying to tell a story strickly through visuals but most of the scenes get their point across in the first few seconds they are on screen.

Now that paragraph is going to cause a bunch of debate amongst viewers. On one hand, slow moving scenes in this type of movie will be enthralling to some. The point of having these slower moving scenes play out is to create atmosphere and mood. On the other hand, most people will get antsy with this concept because they either get the point or there isn't enough going on in the scene to keep their interest.

A lot of this will come down to how much patience you have for a film like this. Because both sides have valid arguments. I, personally, fall in-between. I see the beauty in the slow moving scenes but I also see why someone would skip this movie altogether. And I wouldn't fault you either way on how you feel about it.

The animation of The Red Turtle has a lot left to be desired. Studio Ghibli is notorious for having creative imagery and out standing looking animation, but you can tell that The Red Turtle didn't get the "Top notch" treatment from the company. It more or less got the "Here, give this to the new guys" type deal.

The quality of the animation isn't garbage, but more that it's serviceable. It's not too say that silent movies need 100 percent perfection but they animators are trying to convey a ton of words without any being said from scene to scene. Having that extra boost of quality would give the film just that extra kick to help it stand out amongst the rest...but unfortunately it falls flat a few too many times.

Some of the better aspects of the animation is the character expressions. Even though the faces are very plain, they are able portray a great deal of emotion with what little they have. The major negative is the scenery surrounding the characters. It's very dull and the atmosphere isn't built up that well because of it.

Some viewers may disagree and say that this movie's simplicity is what gives it charm. Which is a fine point to make. Simplicity does have it's place but in a silent production, like this, you need to bring out the best in each area of the film to make it appeal to the mass audience. Because, however which way you slice it, this movie is still a silent film.

The Artist (2011) is a good example of what quality can do for a movie. The winner of the 2011 Oscar's for Best Picture, The Artist is another silent film. The major difference is how good the production value is of the movie. There was a lot of time and effort put into the film and it really showed when it came to viewing it. The Red Turtle is one that if it had the same level of quality driven into it, it could've been just a great as The Artist and it could've produced a mass market of fans. But, to my knowledge, this movie didn't do so well amongst the people of the world.

The quality of The Red Turtle is what holds this film back from being great. There is a good story here but it's just not told in the most interesting way for today's audiences. Which, yes, I do fall victim to the previous statement. Even though I give every movie a fair shot to impress me, there are some that just don't do much for me. Whether it's the script, characters, direction, actors, visual effects, and so on. It really comes down to, can you keep me entertained with what's on the big screen? And The Red Turtle just happens to fall under the "It has good aspects, but there's not enough here to keep me coming back for more."

Overall

The Red Turtle is a movie that needs patience to watch. Even if you're a Ghibli fan, it's hard to fully recommend this movie. Of course, everyone should give it a chance so that you can broaden your horizons on films, but for those who don't have the time to always sit back and watch movies at their own leisure, it's really hard to tell that person they should give up 80 minutes of their life for this film.

The Red Turtle can most likely be found at your local Walmart, Target, and so on. You can find it online as well, for free. You'll just have to dig around a bit to find it. Unless it's on Netflix now and I didn't see it. Then that's my bad.

As usual, thanks for reading!
July 5, 2017
Timeless, universal, and gushing with narrative and visual beauty, this film is easily one of the best animated films of all time.
June 29, 2017
A gorgeously animated fairy tale. The lack of dialogue is wonderful as I'm tired of animated films screaming nonsense at me.
June 27, 2017
No dialogue is needed to tell a beautiful story (open to interpretation) between human life and nature. Visuals trough light and color along with music are carefully melted together to bring to the screen a not-so-overworked animated film which leaves a long lasting feeling of tranquility. A very poetic, trascendental and profound film.
½ June 26, 2017
A-
The Red Turtle is subtly animated film, unmatched in its beauty and elegance.
June 26, 2017
Another masterpiece from Studio Ghibli. Entirely dialogue free, yet manages to cleverly explore the complexities of the Birth-Life-Death cycle, in a brisk 80 minute run-time. Technically outstanding, both in terms of the combination analogue/digital animation, and the wonderful score, which manages to touch on both minimalism and sweeping orchestral as necessary, all complemented by the superior ambient sound design, which manages to transform the desolate island into a living organism.

One of my faves of the year thus far.
June 24, 2017
Creative and imaginative
June 19, 2017
I am a big fan of animation, from Anime to Disney, DreamWorks, even French animation; but very few times I have seen an outstanding, gorgeous work of art like "THE RED TURTLE"

To begin with, the film has a beautiful 2D animation, which is perfect to show the amplitude of the ocean, and the comparison between the human bodies and those created by nature. The sea, the island, the animals, everything in this movie is animated in an incredible way which makes you feel trapped by this world that looks like a painting in constant motion. Unlike other films, in THE RED TURTLE the approach is rarely only in its characters, but in the environment and how the protagonists unfold in a world as big and unknown as the ocean and the island.

Many movies, specially animated ones, don't take too many risks, and nowadays with the computer animation, I feel like the style that each artist could give to their movies, is slowly disappearing, but this movie proved me wrong. Besides, this movie does nothing else than adding limitations: no dialogue; no facial expressions; not even detailed or "interesting" environments. But all this factors are not really necessary in this 80 minutes long movie, which focuses on the journey that the main character faces while exploring all the stages of life.

The most incredible thing about this movie is that it is completely mute; therefore it only uses the music and animation to tell the story. It is very easy to explain what happens, but cinema is an audiovisual medium, and this film shows the true scope of the animation, and how it can combine the music, the images and the corporal movements of the characters to transmit the messages and emotions. Without the protagonists saying a word, one can feel the desperation, frustration, doubt, intrigue, happiness and madness that they experience.

The story in this movie is very simple, but this is not necessarily a bad thing, because its objective is to use all the elements I mentioned before and use the simple storytelling and characters in their advantage so that they can make the audience experience a different emotion and messages. The main focus of THE RED TURTLE is on the meaning of life, acting like a mirror to our own, therefore, it is the audience the one that creates the complex story by relating the multiple variations and allegories to their own experiences, and this is what will make the story vary from person to person.

Apart from the obvious moral of "man vs. nature" this film exploits other messages, such as "the beauty in the unexpected" and "the circle of life", explained, surprisingly, better than in THE LION KING, with the turtle representing the life of a person.

Even the secondary characters, who serve as comic relief like the crabs, are very entertaining and fun without the need to go to the absurd, making the audience laugh with simple movements and few scenes, turning each appearance in camera into a luxury for the viewer.

In my opinion, due to a beautiful combination of music, animation, plot and message, THE RED TURTLE is the best animated film of 2016.

In conclusion, if you are going to watch this movie, don't try to understand it, because it doesn't have a "logical" story, since it uses a different storytelling technique making you experience different feelings and situations, while exploring the true meaning of life and death. So just seat down and enjoy the ride.
June 17, 2017
The animation style makes the film more engaging and pleasing to the eye as well as create universal characters and situations with no spoken dialogue. The film loses its focus a little before and after the appearance of the titular red turtle.
June 13, 2017
½ June 10, 2017
A very simple yet beautiful film.
½ June 9, 2017
Animated features for adults are rare and Michael Dudok de Wit?s Oscar nominated film is certainly one for thinkers and not toddlers. It is very imaginative and open to interpretations and philosophical scrutiny. In fact, I think it demands it. The practically wordless film is handsomely rendered and lushly scored and the storytelling here is beautiful and elegant. But I have a problem with what this story means. Narratively, it recalls films such as Cast Away or All Is Lost, as a man lost at sea ends up on a desert island alone except for a few sea creatures and some comedic crabs, whose presence I find particularly charming. He tries to escape but his attempts are thwarted and by the time the titular creature appears, the film takes a more mystical turn. While the film is emotional without being oversentimental, what some people find poetic and magical, unfortunately got tangled up in my juvenile yet cynical mind and I do not see the meditative analogy to humanity that some reviewers saw in this film. I?ll gladly admit that I am probably overthinking it or simply getting it wrong, but the more I ponder, the more distracted and disengaged I get by the bleak undertone beneath the fantastical story which does not sit well with me (and any further elaboration would venture into spoiler territory). I do appreciate and admire the wonderful artistry involved here, and diverse and thoughtful cinema like this should always be encouraged, so I do urge you to check this out. However, I must also admit that I find the surreal conceit and narrative development in the end rather troubling and not entirely agreeable.
June 6, 2017
Très beau ! Sans dialogue, mais le film sait garder notre attention. J'ai ressenti une sorte d'incompréhension, de frustration à la fin du film, cherchant désespérément à en tirer une morale avant de lâcher prise au bout de quelques secondes, et de juste apprécier le film pour ce qu'il m'a procuré.