The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge) Reviews

December 16, 2017
It was pretty but it didn't make any sense to me. Even when grasping for either coherence in story, message regarding relationships, human and nature, parent-child, and so on, the movie doesn't provide anything that's worth thinking about. Maybe beyond that Stockholm Syndrome is a good basis for a relationship, but we already got that from Beauty and the Beast... Hopefully not much spoilers here.
½ November 30, 2017
I'm sorry but as much as I've loved most of what Studio Ghibli has produced, this was the most boring animation I've ever seen. I wish I could get back the time I wasted waiting for something magical and incredible to happen. Awful
½ November 26, 2017
Beautiful, magical and pure, it just goes to show that you don't need dialogue to tell a touching tale that goes to your very core and speaks to your heart. The animation is gorgeous and set to a perfectly chosen soundtrack that really adds the finishing touch. Yes, this is another gem in Studio Ghibli's array of work.
½ November 24, 2017
I never thought I could get so much from a film that does not have a single word in it. The beauty that comes from destruction is the main theme of this movie. Studio Ghibli makes it's triumphant return to the screen with this simple artwork and deep story. A stranded man finds himself alone on an island that he continues to try to escape and his raft continually and mysteriously wrecks. Here the man meets the red turtle. This turtle is destroyed out of anger of the man and out of this destruction come s beauty. The turtle becomes a woman and this woman becomes a wife and mother. Tears quickly fill the eyes of the audience as the story plays out. I can't believe how moved I was by this movie. The lack of words let's the mind come to it's own narative for these characters and their motivations. Some will see this film as boring, but I found it amazing.
November 17, 2017
Sumptuous animation and an engaging story make this a beautiful film. As to the meaning of the story - I am still churning that through in my mind.
½ November 5, 2017
Gorgeously animated and carefully paced with a great atmosphere consisting of animal noises and a great score, "The Red Turtle" is a beautiful way of conveying how much we (as humans) care about animals, and how they would do the same for us. Without ever telling us how that is possible, this is a perfect example of "Show, don't tell." STUDIO GHIBLI will never cease to tell great stories. Once you fully understand this masterpiece, you might start to consider how well we truly treat animals.
November 1, 2017
At its best a sublime and affecting meditation on grief and solitude this is also a very lovely film to watch: with the clean lines of Hergé and none of the sassy and tiresome noise of most mainstream animation. The story is simple and hallucinatory - a shipwrecked man learning to survive on a small island. Is it a dream? Only the occasionally misjudged music spoils a very rewarding 75 minutes.
October 17, 2017
There's no dialogue, the pace is quite slow and the meaning of the story is subject to interpretation. Yet once you're on its wavelength, the film is a mesmerizing experience. The Red Turtle is a profoundly simple meditation on the many ways we've become alienated from nature and from the Earth.
½ October 10, 2017
The Red Turtle may not be the best looking film of the previous year, but it is the most original.
A movie that has no words other than this one is impossible to find, but it brings a sense of innovation to the film.
The story is great and the execution on the characters isn't haif bad, even if they aren't interesting conceptually.
If you want something unique,this is RIGHT up your alley.
It also helps if you like Studio Ghibili or foreign animated films in general.
Story:10|10
Visuals:5|10
Characters:7|10
Overall:7.1|10.
October 6, 2017
It was beautiful and had its moments, but I didn't identify with the plot. Props for the international staff.
October 4, 2017
Poetic and creeps up on you emotionally.
October 4, 2017
At first, I found this movie boring. My two kids slept through it. But then, I did my homework and researched the meaning of it. Wow! those who say the story is lignt or thin did not understand the movie at all (just like me at first). Kids? some kight enjoy, but this is clearly not a movie for kids. Unless you want them to fall asleep.
September 29, 2017
It may be long and slow and not a Hayao Miyazaki film, but it is one of the best movies I've watched. Studio ghibli is amazing. I was an emotional mess after watching this and I recommend for anyone else to watch it.
½ September 26, 2017
For a movie with no dialogue that's even a little boring at times, it's surprisingly emotionally affecting.
½ September 17, 2017
Kept me engaged the whole way...rare.
½ September 17, 2017
Slow but epic scope.
September 11, 2017
El no tener diálogos es un doble filo. La nueva cinta de Studio Ghibli, con sabor más europeo que nunca, cuenta la historia de un naufrago que condenado a vivir en una isla en soledad, encuentra en una mística visita representada por una tortuga roja, la oportunidad de formar una familia de nuevo, con todo lo bueno y malo que ello tiene. Ojo a la música de Laurent Pérez del Mar, un desconocido para mi hasta entonces.
September 4, 2017
wanted to like it. Love the sea and unique storytelling, but honestly it was boring.
September 3, 2017
The Red Turtle is deceptively simple and absolutely gorgeous. To be fair, if an ostensibly simple story with no dialogue is not to your liking, then you probably won't like this movie. But, if you are willing to try something different then you'll find a rewarding experience. The film deals with themes of love, growth, isolation, and more all set to breath-taking animation. I loved this movie.