The Rite - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rite Reviews

October 14, 2017
I'm torn. I really wanted to like this film but the majority of the action didn't even take place until the second half of the movie. You've got some classical dilemmas. Faith versus atheism. Which was the up-and-coming priest going to choose? Next is the devil. Does he really exist? Are there really demons in this world?

I wasn't really sure what to expect with this movie because I don't really watch exorcism movies. But the whole point was trying to cast out the demon from the body it was living in. We get to see this on three different occasions and the most action happens at the very end for the climax. That scene was very intense where Michael finally had to stand and decide if he's an atheist or a believer in God and then cast out the demon from his superior. That was intense.

Otherwise it's a pretty slow moving film. My eyes were at least open to new things but I can't see this as a film I would watch over and over. Too slow.
July 19, 2017
Aside from thin character development and a weak lead, The Rite earns its viewing opportunity for a decent (if not totally memorable) exorcism tale
July 16, 2017
Pretty good, but intense
May 8, 2017
It is based on a book which is based on a still living exorcist living in US. I agree with bishop Robert Barron that the last 1/3 of the book is overplayed in every possible way.
½ April 24, 2017
Hopkins is amazing. The movie is not
½ January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 21, 2016
This average horror movie begins quite promising, avoiding cheap exploitation and holding our attention with a scary premise, but later on it sadly sinks into commonplace in a generic third act that is so typical of exorcism stories, making the whole effort of its first half seem in vain.
November 1, 2016
Really good film if you like thriller and your not keen on jumpy paranormal films.
½ October 9, 2016
Fairly enjoyable with a nice set-up, but ultimately poorly developed and disappointing. I knew how it was going to end halfway through, and they didn't build up the atmosphere well enough to sell the ending. There was an intriguing dash of psychological horror that could have saved it if they'd expanded upon it. I did at least enjoy the sympathetic lead and Hopkins' performance. But I nearly fell asleep (quite literally) halfway through the final exorcism, which speaks volumes about the level of excitement and suspense in this film's "climax."
½ September 16, 2016
One of the most boring movies I have ever seen.
September 12, 2016
Considering that 50% or so of the movie is spoken in either Italian or Latin, you would figure they would take the time to translate it for you. Not the case. If I actually could understand the conversations it probably would have been a decent movie.
August 28, 2016
So creepy and entertaining!!!!
August 7, 2016
I found this film enjoyable. Unlike most modern exorcism films the phenomena wasn't too over the top. I've read a few books on the subject and can say this was pretty close to stuff that happens. I enjoyed Hopkins as father Trevant most of all
July 27, 2016
Honestly not as bad as I expected, still pretty bad though lol.

It's cool that it's so accurate regarding exorcisms though, according to people who know what they're talking about. I'll take their word for it.
April 27, 2016
When are directors, writers, and producers going to get the idea that movies about exorcism are not working now? The Exorcist is the only one that is worthy. Other than that this theme is dead in film; the Rite is a perfect example.
April 20, 2016
Anthony Hopkins acts well but Colin O'Donoghue's performance actually ruins this movie. His acting related to this movie was not good. It's possible that he needed better direction as younger actor...but...not good.
½ March 13, 2016
Just as good as "The Exorcist" starring Linda Blair. Well done. Anthony Hopkins was outstanding in "The Rite" and shines the best in the movie.
February 10, 2016
Ok movie could have been way better
February 6, 2016
Obviously not The Exorcist, or Silence of the Lambs, by any means, but The Rite is an astoundingly performance by Anthony Hopkins, and Colin O'Donoghue. This movie is perfect for giving you chills, but staying very story-based, at the same time. You may see the ending coming from a mile away, but there is one aspect that you'll never even expect to happen. Watch it to find out, yourself.
½ January 30, 2016
Atmospheric, sure, but damn, this "horror" wannabe was absolutely dreadful and dull. The main protagonist... No, the "actor" looked like he was bored filming the entire movie. He only had one expression throughout. Was he eye candy or something? Where was the scares? I seen this exorcism bullshit many times, can Hollywood be any more original? Probably not.