The Rite - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rite Reviews

November 1, 2016
Really good film if you like thriller and your not keen on jumpy paranormal films.
½ October 9, 2016
Fairly enjoyable with a nice set-up, but ultimately poorly developed and disappointing. I knew how it was going to end halfway through, and they didn't build up the atmosphere well enough to sell the ending. There was an intriguing dash of psychological horror that could have saved it if they'd expanded upon it. I did at least enjoy the sympathetic lead and Hopkins' performance. But I nearly fell asleep (quite literally) halfway through the final exorcism, which speaks volumes about the level of excitement and suspense in this film's "climax."
½ September 16, 2016
One of the most boring movies I have ever seen.
September 12, 2016
Considering that 50% or so of the movie is spoken in either Italian or Latin, you would figure they would take the time to translate it for you. Not the case. If I actually could understand the conversations it probably would have been a decent movie.
August 28, 2016
So creepy and entertaining!!!!
August 7, 2016
I found this film enjoyable. Unlike most modern exorcism films the phenomena wasn't too over the top. I've read a few books on the subject and can say this was pretty close to stuff that happens. I enjoyed Hopkins as father Trevant most of all
July 27, 2016
Honestly not as bad as I expected, still pretty bad though lol.

It's cool that it's so accurate regarding exorcisms though, according to people who know what they're talking about. I'll take their word for it.
April 27, 2016
When are directors, writers, and producers going to get the idea that movies about exorcism are not working now? The Exorcist is the only one that is worthy. Other than that this theme is dead in film; the Rite is a perfect example.
April 20, 2016
Anthony Hopkins acts well but Colin O'Donoghue's performance actually ruins this movie. His acting related to this movie was not good. It's possible that he needed better direction as younger actor...but...not good.
½ March 13, 2016
Just as good as "The Exorcist" starring Linda Blair. Well done. Anthony Hopkins was outstanding in "The Rite" and shines the best in the movie.
February 10, 2016
Ok movie could have been way better
February 6, 2016
Obviously not The Exorcist, or Silence of the Lambs, by any means, but The Rite is an astoundingly performance by Anthony Hopkins, and Colin O'Donoghue. This movie is perfect for giving you chills, but staying very story-based, at the same time. You may see the ending coming from a mile away, but there is one aspect that you'll never even expect to happen. Watch it to find out, yourself.
½ January 30, 2016
Atmospheric, sure, but damn, this "horror" wannabe was absolutely dreadful and dull. The main protagonist... No, the "actor" looked like he was bored filming the entire movie. He only had one expression throughout. Was he eye candy or something? Where was the scares? I seen this exorcism bullshit many times, can Hollywood be any more original? Probably not.
January 7, 2016
Enjoyed the movie till it ended. Really enjoyed the way the past was tied to the present in the movie could watch again
½ January 5, 2016
A bad copy of the Exorcist. Until it manages to stay away from the Exorcist territory, in the first part, it's not bad and makes the audience hope for a fresh view on this subject, but after that it gets so similar to the 1973 picture in its core element (the old wise priest and the doubtful young one), in the ending (the ending is different here but something very similar was hinted in the last part of the Exorcist too) and even in some dialogues that's impossible to avoid a comparison. The reference is so evident that Anthony Hopkins' character says, at one point, "were you expecting spinning heads and pea soup?", meaning that the creators too were aware of that. The problem is that this movie loses completely the confront, so i couldn't understand why they decided to play the same game of the Exorcist instead of trying something different and original. It's not scary, it has undevelopped and uninteresting characters (Anthony Hopkins, when he's not redoing the Hannibal Lecter kind of character, manages to create some tension in the climax but Colin O'Donoghue has the same expression from the beginning till the end. Besides that, I couldn't understand the reason for Alice Braga's character to exist, apart from doing the mandatory motivating speech to the "hero" before the aforementioned climax) and it's visually boring (it uses the orange-blue color scheme in too many parts, for actors eyes bulbs too, making it boring).
January 5, 2016
I thought this movie was really good. I think movies like these depend on what a person's taste is; I tend to like movies like this and Paranormal Activity, where it's about exorcisms and demons. The one thing I don't like is how Anthony Hopkins suddenly changed character personality. The second I saw him crying I started to question whether the rest of the movie would be good, but in my opinion, I think overall it was a great movie.
½ January 3, 2016
Typical exorcism movie. Nothing special other than Anthony Hopkins being an amazing actor.
January 3, 2016
A surprisingly good Netflix .. flick?

If you're at all interested in such movies, I feel you'd be entertained as much as any other.
January 1, 2016
While interesting concept not very scary or particularly interesting/in depth. We've seen a lot of this material before. I didnt like it suggesting psychic ability equals=demons. Fairly short Movie just ok.
December 31, 2015
solid movie. not sure what the critics issues are with this flick.