The Wind Rises - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wind Rises Reviews

July 16, 2016
Hayao Miyazaki's "October Sky".
July 9, 2016
Disney continues the tradition of stripping the spiritualality and feeling and darkness out of Miyasaki movies to the point of boredom.
½ July 3, 2016
A perfect way for Miyazaki to retire from the film world.
July 2, 2016
"Engineers make dreams come true"
July 1, 2016
Touching biopic with gorgeous animation.
June 29, 2016
Good and dramatic movie
June 20, 2016
Simplemente preciosa
June 12, 2016
It is a beautiful film...
June 11, 2016
Containing gorgeous animation and a beautiful score, The Wind Rises is another successful Studio Ghibli film, and rightly a way to go out for mastermind Hayao Miyazaki.
June 6, 2016
Not as fantastical a fantasy as many Studio Ghibli films, but true to its stye and appearance and the historically relevant story are good.
½ June 3, 2016
The animation is stunning. And it will give you the feels.
May 27, 2016
I can't believe that this is the last film of Miyazaki
May 8, 2016
"The Wind Rises" is the last film by Hayao Miyazaki released in 2013 about chief engineer at Mitsubishi named Jiro Horikoshi (Joseph Gordon-Levitt). He was responsible for the design for the Mitsubishi A5M aircraft and its successor which were used by the Empire of Japan during World War II. The film, like many Studio Ghibli animated films, are beautifully drawn with vivid colors and outstanding animation. Miyazaki has made some of the greatest animated films since Walt Disney in the 1930's leading up to his death.
Horikoshi dreams of becoming a pilot, but due to his nearsightedness, he can never become a pilot. In one of his several dreams, he meets an Italian aircraft designer whose work he admires named Giovanni Battista Caproni (Stanley Tucci). Caproni tells young Horikoshi that although he can't fly, building and designing planes are more fun. He encourages him to build beautiful planes even if they will be used for ugly things like war.
Horikoshi then attends Tokyo Imperial University and eventually graduates landing a job at Mitsubishi where he excells in designing planes. His friend Kiro Honjo (John Krasinski) also works with him. Honjo realizes the future of aircrafts and lampoons Japan for always being ten or twenty years behind the rest of the world. After the two go on a trip to Germany to see the work of Hugo Junkers, Horikoshi has some what of an epiphany. But before he is sent back to work he is sent on vacation where he runs into a woman he first met as a girl, Naoko (Emily Blunt). She has tuberculosis, but agrees to marry him.
Although, most of the events in his life are fictionalized, it's still a wonderful story about passion for one's job and aviation. The pursuit of achieving your dreams even after several failures.
½ May 2, 2016
No tenho muito a dizer sobre esse filme, s que lindo... LINDO... LINDO! E interessante, finalmente um filme que mostra como era o Japo na 2 Guerra Mundial.
April 27, 2016
This guy loves planes.
April 16, 2016
Like most of Miyazaki's films, 'The Wind Rises' is visually stunning. The art in some scenes is absolutely breathtaking. However, viewers expecting an experience in line with some of Miyazaki's more fantastical offerings will be disappointed, and the straight-laced dramatic plot that they will get is a little lacking in originality. As with 'Howl's Moving Castle', I found this movie to be stronger on art than on plot, and while it may have made an excellent series of paintings it only comes out to a mediocre film.
½ April 15, 2016
one of the best Miyazaki movies in my opinion a spectacular love story and truly heartwarming if it doesn't make you cry it will at the very least stick with you a while just fantastic
March 31, 2016
As when I heard that Miyazaki retirement of filmmaking. I felt like that little girl favorite boy band just broke up. I was very disappointed by the way by the news breaking. Tears all the way. But as for this film this is a great film to drop the mic. This is a marvelous masterpiece by Miyazaki. This is very touching story by a true airplane designer Jiro Horikoshi, who's this dreams to engineer and design his own planes. This movie is very touching to all, if you dream big dreams will happen. It shows a Love story of his wife. This is a love story by him building his planes and the love with his wife. This is an absolute favorite to all and the spice of the rating of the movie I believe it should be open to all ages. Such a masterpiece and a good movie to go out on a big bang!

One of my heroes is Miyazaki Love your work.

Grade
9.5/10
March 26, 2016
After falling a sleep with this movie in 45 minutes i didn't bother to see the other 60 minutes of it , because the story wasn't my cup of tea !
½ March 24, 2016
Not what I was expecting for this legendary film makers swan song, but the animation is beautiful. The story is more directed towards adults and has some graphic imagery, however I found myself bored quite a few times throughout the movie with the constant discussion of planes, good message though at the end.