The Wind Rises - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wind Rises Reviews

½ August 25, 2017
if i wanted to watch a movie with no plot I'd watch a documentary but I'd actually be entertained
August 23, 2017
Beautiful, smart and emotional. The Wind Rises is a remarkable animated film from Studio Ghibli. (5/5)
August 18, 2017
Miyazaki's final movie and farewell to his craft is an emotional and heartfelt drama with typically beautiful animation from Studio Ghibli; a wonderful story that not only has a very personal touch from Miyazaki himself, guided by his love for planes, but also a truly touching, somewhat melancholic and romantic love-story; and to top it all off, an equally gorgeous score from Joe Hisaishi. All of these elements come together to create a truly sensational picture that leaves you feeling all sorts of emotions. I don't know that there's any other director out there that gives me the specific mix of feelings that a Miyazaki film so often does, and that's the greatest compliment I can give to a master of his art.
June 28, 2017
A subtle, dreamlike tragedy. It feels strangely hopeful, but it is hard to grasp at exactly where the hope is coming from.
June 20, 2017
This film is worse than Inside Out....
½ June 7, 2017
As Miyazaki's final film, it's meaning is far deeper and more complex than what's normally seen. The movie itself is an animated novel, reflective of creators in any craft and what they dream of creating by the end of their life, be it beautiful planes or wonderful art or, in Miyazaki's case, very intelligent movies. This movie is at it's best when treated like a book, taking it slow and interpreting for yourself what Miyazaki wants to convey to you, the viewer.
May 26, 2017
Hayao Miyazaki did a superb job for his final masterpiece.
May 6, 2017
Sad and happy it movie :( :)
½ March 16, 2017
There's just one word to describe the art of this movie BEAUTIFUL, the main plot at first doesn't seem interesting but you'll loved once you understand it's message.
March 12, 2017
The best film ever. Fantastic story with good characters and wonderful acting.
March 3, 2017
Really great animation, with technical bent, beautiful at times. Interesting take of the aeronautical engineer that conceives the Zero plane, famous for its attack of the USA. We have here the viewpoint of the nice guy not thinking too much of the consequences. Being too strong can tempt to use the strenght and bring more trouble than affordable. The story stays on the nice side of things throughout and much of it is populated by dreams. This is a bit like whitewashing the war makers and bombers. That would be the lesson.
March 3, 2017
February 23, 2017
This is a masterpiece and Miyazaki's last film. This should have 100% from both audience and critics here on RT. There's nothing wrong with this film. This film breezes through like the wind in its pacing. It's about how quickly life goes by and how we meet the best moments of our lives. It's about appreciating the beauty of life at its best even when it's about to become something less. We get older. The primes of our lives fade into memory. It's a downhill slope from here. But are we sad that it's over? Melancholy and a little nostalgic for that time, yes. But the film teaches us to be happy. As Dr. Seuss once said "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened". And this film delivers that message sincerely, beautifully, clearly, and masterfully. Hats off to you Miyazaki. We humbly and gratefully enjoy your last film.
½ February 17, 2017
Like an unsuccessful cake, it's sweet and can be dressed up with icing but it's still heavy, bland stodge in the middle
½ February 11, 2017
Not the best I have seen come out of Studio Ghibli, but not disappointing either. Very good story, characters, and animation. Good family film - especially if you have daughters who love anime.
January 17, 2017
Visually it's one of Miyazaki's best story wise it's not as interesting as his other stuff but it's still very good. It's Miyazaki so you expect that.
½ January 11, 2017
Another wonderful story from Studio Gibli and I thought this was one of their best in a while
October 29, 2016
I think I saw this cartoon. It was not terrible.
October 17, 2016
Great animation and beautiful respect to a true artist!
October 4, 2016
What beautiful animation that I sat through. 'The Wind Rises' feels like a breath of fresh air when compared to films like 'Ponyo', 'Princess Mononoke' and 'Howl's Moving Castle' to name a few.