The Wind Rises - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wind Rises Reviews

½ March 18, 2018
Most grounded of Hayao Miyazaki's movies.Still the story is about dreams and that's what makes it so inspiring.Hayao Miyazaki went out with a bang , it is easily one of his best works.The music itself is fascinating.Overall an almost perfect movie
March 8, 2018
This is the most polished looking animation and artwork I have yet seen in a Miyazaki film. The colors make themselves very present and pop in a beautiful way. Wow, this movie's gorgeous and that dream was somewhat relatable to some of mine I've had.

Wow, I thought the whole earthquake sequence was a terrible nightmare but I guess not. That was insane, the animation was fucking brilliant. Everything like turned sour all of a sudden, like they had just walked in to a bombed war zone. It's so heartwarming to see how caring and selfless Jiro was in helping out a couple of strangers.

It's very inspiring and motivating to see how passionate and determined Jiro is in wanting to build planes. He even dreams about accomplishing such feats. Reminds me a lot of myself and how I dream about my passions and music.

This is really good. Caproni tells Jiro in his dream, "Don't build planes for war, build them for people. To fly them across the world." And what's so impactful about this is that Jiro himself is experiencing times of war. So it was almost like Caproni was forewarning him of what's to come.

They really outdid themselves with the English dub voice actors. A well round of great actors. That big G38 plane was fucking insane. It's intersting how they chose mouth noises to make the sounds of the plane engines.

Even though this movie is during a time way in the past and in a place I've never been to in my life, this movie feels strangely familiar as if I can relate to it in some ways. Seeing how real there love is when he takes the train just to make sure she's ok, kind of moved me. Very sad, bittersweet how it ended.

Overall, the animation in this movie was flawless. So god dang smooth. It's a very bittersweet movie. Definitely Miyazaki's most mature and real movie. I enjoyed the hell out of it. I liked how Jiro dreamed a lot. It almost seemed like it was hard to tell what was dream and what was real. Very lovely movie.
½ February 24, 2018
If you like mindless garbage, then I suppose this is the movie for you.
January 23, 2018
The Wind Rises has simply breathtaking animation with frequently gorgeous imagery and the romance is quite appealing. However, everything else is either standard or mediocre historical period piece. The film features a very intriguing premise, but it never delves deeper into its themes as the characters are bland and the conversations are mostly uninteresting. It is one of the worst Studio Ghibli films and frankly one of the most overrated and dullest animated films that I have ever seen.
December 28, 2017
Not only is the animation is this movie astounding, But the ways they are playing with sound is magnificent.
½ December 26, 2017
An animated war film for adults, The Wind Rises is a fascinating look into the life of a Japanese pacifist who designed war planes for Japan. Talk about a different point of view from the typical American fare!
½ December 26, 2017
A great historical and poetic story done by Miyazaki-san.
December 15, 2017
Beautiful, deep and sad at the same time, a masterpiece
November 27, 2017
I didn't think I'd like a "normal" animated film, but Miyazaki pulled out all the stops for his swan song. Bring a handkerchief.
½ November 9, 2017

Although Miyazaki's last picture isn't the imagination filled epic fantasy tale you'd expect, but rather something much more grounded, it's fitting and memorable nonetheless
October 16, 2017
Get your tissues ready, because Hayao Miyazaki delivers another masterpiece of sheer brilliance.
½ September 22, 2017
A Beautifull film that depicts Miyazaki at his best in artwork and the story is compelling as well.
½ August 25, 2017
if i wanted to watch a movie with no plot I'd watch a documentary but I'd actually be entertained
August 23, 2017
Beautiful, smart and emotional. The Wind Rises is a remarkable animated film from Studio Ghibli. (5/5)
August 18, 2017
Miyazaki's final movie and farewell to his craft is an emotional and heartfelt drama with typically beautiful animation from Studio Ghibli; a wonderful story that not only has a very personal touch from Miyazaki himself, guided by his love for planes, but also a truly touching, somewhat melancholic and romantic love-story; and to top it all off, an equally gorgeous score from Joe Hisaishi. All of these elements come together to create a truly sensational picture that leaves you feeling all sorts of emotions. I don't know that there's any other director out there that gives me the specific mix of feelings that a Miyazaki film so often does, and that's the greatest compliment I can give to a master of his art.
June 28, 2017
A subtle, dreamlike tragedy. It feels strangely hopeful, but it is hard to grasp at exactly where the hope is coming from.
June 20, 2017
This film is worse than Inside Out....
½ June 7, 2017
As Miyazaki's final film, it's meaning is far deeper and more complex than what's normally seen. The movie itself is an animated novel, reflective of creators in any craft and what they dream of creating by the end of their life, be it beautiful planes or wonderful art or, in Miyazaki's case, very intelligent movies. This movie is at it's best when treated like a book, taking it slow and interpreting for yourself what Miyazaki wants to convey to you, the viewer.
May 26, 2017
Hayao Miyazaki did a superb job for his final masterpiece.
May 6, 2017
Sad and happy it movie :( :)