The Woman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Woman Reviews

March 11, 2017
The Woman had so much potential, and there is lots to like and plenty to hate. Most notably the character of Christopher. This man is so disgusting, and misogynistic, and as it is revealed more and more of his dark side, we really begin to hate him...

The character of Brian is also very disturbing, obviously learned from his father. Peggy is a great character, whose pregnancy is hinted at, which shows even more the evil of her father. Her plight is truly sad.

And dear Belle...I found her demise to be totally unwarranted. She did what she did out of fear of her husband, and what he was capable of.

These characters had The Woman chained up in a cellar, where she was repeatedly tortured, raped, and treated like an animal. Her nature was feral. she was vicious and merciless.

So we had a movie of great characters, with a bare minimum of plot...but it just didn't gel really. Most of the time it felt like the actors were acting, instead of being believable people. There were moments of greatness, but otherwise it was pretty flat. There are a lot of unanswered questions too, but when left to the imagination, we can come up with some neat theories.

Anyway, it is worth seeing, although it isn't what I would consider a great movie.
March 7, 2017
Not as thorough as it could be, but still a very ambitious film. Plenty of interesting themes, but could have had some more interesting ways to display them.
February 20, 2017
to officially call this the worst movie ever I really couldnt do but its on the honorable mentions list for sure. Headed by some of the worst acting Ive seen which makes for painfully awkward scenes through out the movie.
½ January 15, 2017
The Woman is sure to be a divisive film. For those that are able to handle the low budget look, the gore, and the flat out disturbing content, there is a very real commentary regarding gender double standards, physical and emotional abuse, and empowerment. 3 1/2 stars
½ December 13, 2016
Very interesting narrative in the post-9/11 context. Coming out 10 years after 9/11 I believe it powerfully addresses the reconstruction of gender relations in reaction to 9/11 with the purpose of dismantling the repressive and violent colonial behaviour ten years later.
November 27, 2016
Brutal and disturbing. Worth watching.
½ October 23, 2016
Seems like this movie has been done.... At least the Father character has...I was kind of bored by it.
September 3, 2016
All men are garbage and deserve to be eaten.
August 4, 2016
It's just...extreme.
April 27, 2016
The Woman had me leaving shaking, not with fear, but with anger and injustice.
½ April 5, 2016
This was the stupidest film I've ever seen in my life. I thought it was purely a joke. It's not a joke. The acting was a joke. The music was terrible and clashed with every scene. Everything about this movie was bad.
March 21, 2016
sounds a bit too extreme for my tastes
March 12, 2016
Excellent. Builds really well. Tough viewing in places.
½ March 7, 2016
This movie is exploitation gone wrong, oh so very, very wrong. Not one single character is likable or sympathetic; the titular woman is a monstrous, feral, unsympathetic, disgusting beast; the father is disgusting, ignorant, stupid and violent, and the son is a little cunt and a sadist. The male characters are violent and sick and the female characters (except The Woman) are weak, whimpering pacifists. It's a film that, while on the surface, appears to be trying to be a femi-nazi film but the dark truth is that at this film's black heart it's completely nihilistic....it doesn't believe in a single, god-damned thing.
February 12, 2016
So fucked up I loved it
February 10, 2016
In the category for most vile films ever I found this movie 2nd only to the Human Centipede. Very hard to watch. Slow start but a lot happens in the end and it is extremely disturbing. You've been warned.
January 28, 2016
McKee cranks the tension up to 11 before letting loose in a profoundly savage and blood soaked finale. The biting social satire occasionally comes off as a bit too obvious, but when it works, it really works. Maybe don't watch this one on a full stomach though.
November 18, 2015
Sloppy, dull and curiously (undeservedly) controversial, the Woman has little to say as a horror film and even less as a sort of wannabe feminist (?) take on gore. Avoid.
½ October 19, 2015
Absolutely a WTF FILM.
½ October 11, 2015
Strange but well paced and interesting film . Worth a watch you won't be disappointed