Thelma - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thelma Reviews

½ August 15, 2018
Convoluted plot that was really hard to follow. There were more loose threads than loose hairs from the love interest of the protagonist...
July 1, 2018
Stunning cinematography and interesting plotline! Was on the edge of my seat until the last minute.
June 26, 2018
Terror nòrdico, fria y efectiva.
June 17, 2018
All around, I found this film enjoyable. Where it falls short is that there is a lot of wasted time. The first hour of the film seems like it could have been summarized in ten minutes. The second hour of the film is where it grasps momentum and is the film I thought it was supposed to be. It no doubt tries to push a political female dominated agenda, which unfortunately makes it fall short. If the first hour does not put you to sleep, then I believe you will enjoy the second half.
½ June 13, 2018
THELMA- 74%
A strong story with a disappointing pitch.
Thelma has an astoundingly strong story, beautiful visuals in its cinematography, and a nice cast. However, the structure was not something I highly enjoyed.
I think there was so much potential in the context of the story. The director did not tell this story in depth but just a glimpse of it. In addition, he did not direct the actors well enough to reach their full potential as they proved to us in that two-hour journey.
It was a good movie but I thought it could have been outstanding.
Story-wise and execution: 2.33/3.5
Acting: 1.75/2.5
Camera work: 1.87/2
Sound: 1.4/2
overall Score: 3.675/5
June 6, 2018
A largely elegiac and haunting mash-up of the supernatural thriller and coming-out drama genres, Thelma is bleak and glacially-paced like the best of Scandinavian chillers.
June 2, 2018
interesting prerogative. it's a different approach to a super hero movie.
May 29, 2018
A well crafted psychodrama with a smidge of the supernational. Just a smidge, mind you. This could just as well be a story about mental illness and cult recovery than the slow burning, Scandinavian spin on the law of attraction. Superb performances all round (Eili Harboe is truly mesmerising). You'll be spellbound throughout...and long after the credits roll.
May 29, 2018
Rated pretty good but couldn't get into it. Supernatural is just not my favorite.
May 2, 2018
Beautiful and strange, almost hypnotic in how it is filmed.
½ April 24, 2018
The reviews are great, but I thought Thelma was mostly just boring. When it finally gets to the point, the reveal seems both too big and strangely underwhelming. Also, if this exact same story had been told with a boy, it would be seen as a rape fantasy.

Anyways, an extra star for the queer but I think the movie sucks.
April 22, 2018
Muy buen thriller sobre natural... Carrie en Arthouse.
Muy recomendable!
½ April 20, 2018
Here's another modern story of a girl who is having troubles growing up since her religious upbringing, which the authors of the story certainly scold and despise, hinders her developing into a modern care-free persona. We've seen such a premise a lot of times but still the film absorbs you in its story slowly but surely and even lingers after you've finished watching it.
½ April 17, 2018
While it shares story DNA with 2017's Raw, Thelma isn't nearly as propulsive, although it does dig deeper into it's religious and family themes.
April 16, 2018
When a girl raised of Christian norms plunged into common collegian life, there would
be certain assimilation upon her mind. Little did she know the experience was not common at all. Gradually she discovered what she had since her childhood naturally. Could the supernatural phenomena be explained scientifically for the sceptics? Unfortunately one should content to believe what happened, not what he had seen.

The soundtracks accompanying this Norwegian flick is fit to chill of the bone. Haunting yet not necessarily horrid, just set to thrill the ambience. The list are full, from orchestral composition to popular themes.

To have lost a loved one is painful, yet it is wiser to cherish what we still have given left. Rather than suppressing our powers, it would be better harnessing it as a manner of thanksgiving. Then we can give account of ourselves unto the next terminal.
½ April 15, 2018
Great actress, music, environment and script. It is like Xmen but in europe at a slow pace. Worth your time. Visually very interesting. A bit more of action and some more twists and it will be a masterpiece.
April 14, 2018
This movie was trippy.
April 14, 2018
A slightly spooky little film. We know the story from a dozen X-Files episodes, about a person with supernatural powers who can't control them when emotionally distraught. This film focuses more on the emotions and their origins than the abilities.
½ April 12, 2018
Someone watched Black Swan and thought, "hey I wanna make a film like that." From the poster to the feel, the story, the two girls, dual reality etc, this is an attempt to make a Scandinavian Black Swan.

There is even an almost identical scene at the ballet (again, black swan theme) that is taken from the cab ride in black swan.

But how did they make it different? why not a little Carrie theme? and sprinkle ia bit of the Dead Zone.

Kissing, but no make-out, which means no tongue, just a lot of pretend kissing, which means lame (not believable).

Unfortunately, this was too slow and boring. Apparently, some people are easily impressed these days.

It was really hard to finish watching. Too many things did't make any sense and it was too predictable. The one scene towards the end went against any logic. At the boat if that happened to you, you would immediately jump in you know what.

It needed a good editor and maybe it would have been more watchable. It was so all over the place and didn't know what it wanted to be.

Skip it.
April 9, 2018
This one tested me, and it probably requires a rewatch from me.

First I'll say that I think the movie was marketed and talked about in a very misleading way. It's not a thriller or a horror movie. It's a psychological drama with supernatural elements in it.

I came into it expecting a horror or a supernatural thriller, so when I slowly realized that it's not going to be the case. I got pretty annoyed, had to keep myself from blaming the movie itself.

Now, as what it really is, it's very special. Think of an elevated coming of age drama that uses the supernatural to raise itself above genre cliches. It tells a unique and moody Norwegian tale very patiently, very thoughtfully. A lot of times it felt like the movie was going about its way TOO patiently, but maybe that's coming from my expectation to see a thrilling horror movie and being disappointed by the slow pace of what it really was.

It was incredibly well made. It was visually beautiful. The sets, the lighting, the colours, the cinematography. All were very cohesive and worked well together. The sounds were delicate. Rough when needed. Everything felt very calculated in a good way. The actors were all pretty brilliant.

While the story was unique and held a lot of potential, I felt like at the end I got to explore too little of it. The potential was massive, and we only ever got 2-3 teases of it. I guess the impressions and ideas that it leaves in your head are still worth it.

And despite what I said earlier, I still honestly feel like this movie would be much better if it trimmed a few minutes here and there. It lingers a little too much on almost every scene. I understand the intention of the movie taking its time, immersing us in the mood of the movie, but when done in every scene, it gets tedious.

I would've enjoyed it much more, and with a much clearer mind if I had seen it without the expectations for a thrilling horror movie.