Stephen King's 'Thinner' - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stephen King's 'Thinner' Reviews

November 15, 2016
Ridiculous mindless entertainment.
October 26, 2016
Enjoyable revenge flick revolving around a gypsy curse making a lawyer lose weight at a dangerous rate.

The acting is really good, and the story is fun. Only fault is that Billy while getting his revenge against his wife and Doctor Mickey ends up killing his daughter as well, and he doesn't seem to really care.

Because of this, the main character doesn't learn his lesson about vengeance and essentially 'got away with it'.
½ September 18, 2016
Campy, silly and all over the place, this Stephen King's adaptation takes a sort-of-clever idea, and turns it into another goofy-horror flick.
½ August 8, 2016
Do people hate watching Gypsies or something? I do not understand why this movie is so harshly criticized. Story is very good, it follows the novel by king pretty much and the acting is also pretty good. Maybe I'm missing something.
½ August 8, 2016
Ganz nette Unterhaltung
August 5, 2016
This movie is so harshly criticized and I don't even understand why. Do people hate watching gypsies or something? Very unique and enjoyable movie, goes pretty much by the Steven King novel as well.
½ June 22, 2016
A fun sort of thriller about a fat man who gets a jypsy curse for killing a chief's wife while getting a blow job while driving. The curse makes him lose weight at a dangerous pace and he has to convince the chief of the gypsy community to take the curse of or he will die. Somewhat humorous but I think where the real beauty of the film lies is the vengeance he seeks on his wife who is sleeping with his doctor and the mobster who voices for fat Tony off of the Simpson's. Quite an entertaining story while there are nor real scares besides a small amount of gore.
May 2, 2016
A gypsy curses a fat man in another ridiculous King adaptation.
½ February 29, 2016
Such a twisted imagination Stephen King has, but boy is it compelling. This time we witness a fat git mowing down a gypo and then being cursed by the father of the deceased. At first, the extent of the revenge is not fully realised as the victim is ecstatic at the thought of losing a few pounds. However, when the weight shifts more rapidly the more he eats, a rat is smelt and panic stations begin. Initially thinking that the disease is a possible symptom of cancer, the lawyer and his family enlist the professional advice of a doctor, who becomes increasingly closer to the wife. Ashamed of his appearance, his partner, and his past actions, he goes in search of the gypsy that placed the spell on him, and who has also caused the death of two of his colleagues, that lied in court to help him get off Scott free. From hero to zero, the attorney must then decide whether to pass the curse onto someone else to suffer, or take his own life as a means of ending his new found depression. It's really twisted and very much in the format of the classic Night of the Living Dead chapters, with play dough type effects, and disturbing conclusions. Never heard of this film or book before but the innovative stories that come out of this guys mind are compelling and unique to say the least. It's a tale that is strongly linked with justice, greed, and betrayal, with a feeling of uncertainty over who is the hero and who is the villain. It's this type of thought provoking plot that I love to get my teeth into, and is one of those hidden gems of a film that I would definitely recommend to any budding horror fan. It's light heartedly gory in parts, but it would hardly be Stephen King if it wasn't, and this has certainly refreshed my memory of just how good an author he was (not that I've actually read any of his books though).
February 6, 2016
Absolutely loved this movie. I can watch this on a loop
September 15, 2015
This is one of the dullest and most unpleasant horror films I've ever seen. Badly acted, badly written, badly directed, mean-spirited... and all the morality and dark satire of the Stephen King book is gone.
½ August 11, 2015
An entertaining, if forgettable, midnight flick.
June 19, 2015
Your dream smells bad to me.

One night while driving home from an event and receiving oral pleasure from his wife, a successful lawyer runs over and kills a gypsy's daughter. In court the incident is ruled an accident and the lawyer gets off from responsibility. The gypsy father places a curse on the lawyer that causes him to get thinner and thinner until eventual death. How can the lawyer get out of this mess?

"Was I giving myself a blowjob just then?"

Tom Holland, director of Fright Night, Child's Play, The Temp, and Fatal Beauty, delivers Thinner. The storyline for this is fairly straightforward and fun to watch unfold. The characters are well written and a bit cartoonish but the conclusion is well executed. The cast delivers mediocre performances and includes Stephen King, Robert John Burke, Joe Mantegna, Lucinda Jenney, and Kari Wehrer.

"Did you try it? Yep. You tried it."

I came across this on Netflix and wanted to watch this for the first time in a long time. I remember watching this when it came out and thinking it was just okay. Well, it is just okay but in a Tales from the Crypt kind of way. I recommend giving this a viewing if you're a fan of the genre.

"Before you know it you'll be able to see your balls without using a mirror."

Grade: C+
June 4, 2015
This all around bore of a horror film will make you scratch your head more that it will scare you.
½ June 1, 2015
Cheesy but mildly entertaining,
May 13, 2015
Not one of Mr. King's better adapted movies.
½ March 2, 2015
Ehhh, it's ok. The concept is cooler than the movie.
March 2, 2015
Not too many people liked this one, but I truly enjoyed it. It's got all you could ask for really: Horror, drama, action, and a good ending. I've seen it on TV a few times, and would watch it again.
½ February 27, 2015
Good clean fun for the whole family.