This Is Cinerama Reviews

• Oct 29, 2017

This highest-grossing film that most people have never seen was released in 1952 and smashed box-office records at the time; the innovative new three-camera process allowed audiences to experience the cinema like never before, and this plotless travelogue featured such memorable sequences as an opera at La Scala and the famous roller-coaster ride. Historically important but rather dull by today's standards.

• Nov 05, 2012

It's not just a movie, but an entire experience. No story, no dialogue, no plot, nothing of a conventional movie. "This Is Cinerama" was meant to be the first film to show off the process of the new 3-panel curved-screen multi-channel sound system extravaganza that was called "Cinerama", and only able to be projected in specialized Cinerama theaters. There are some incredibly awesome scenes like flying around, the roller coaster, and waterskiing. Yet there are some incredibly boring parts like the Vienna Boy's Choir or the church singers. And what was up with the waterskiier on the chair? The process is not perfect, with some errors in the picture synchronization at the edges, and how straight flat lines don't look straight or flat anymore.

• Sep 10, 2009

Simply amazing. I wish all of you could have seen it with me, it was an experience of a lifetime. Imagine the "Soarin' Over California" ride from Disneyland, and that's as close as you're going to get to the experience I had, although it pales in comparison. The movie itself isn't that great, and it's a little bit boring sometimes (Aida Act II Finale sequence, I'm looking at you), but as a cinematic experience it was unparalleled. The movie exists to show beautiful and breathtaking images accompanied by awesome 7-channel stereo sound, and it delivers completely. This movie changed movies from then on. It's a true milestone in cinema.