Thor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thor Reviews

½ December 7, 2016
One of Marvel's best and riskiest movies.
November 30, 2016
A pretty good film, mostly worth it for Thor, Loki and the action scenes. Otherwise, it could've been a little better romance and plot-wise. Still a good film though! Would recommend if your a marvel fan like me!
½ November 30, 2016
Surprisingly moving and funny.
½ November 23, 2016
Watching the previews of Thor, anyone would easily dismiss it as yet another fantasy film churned out by the Hollywood machine chock-full of big budget special effects and minimal plot and character development. Avatar and 2012 come to mind. But this is not the case with Thor. The viewers will find themselves caring about the fate of the characters and the fate of Asgard and Earth as well.

The hero of the story, enthusiastically played by Chris Hemsworth, is a perfect balance between the testosterone-fueled warrior eager for battle and the kind medieval mortal (when he loses his abilities on earth). His love interest, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), is actually convincing as a character, mostly due to Portman getting acting lessons for Black Swan and carrying them over to Thor. The king of Asgard, Odin, is a powerful force to be reckoned with played by none other than Anthony Hopkins.

Asgard, Thorâ(TM)s home planet, is a lavish, beautiful world comparable to the moon Pandora in Avatar. The portal from Asgard to Earth (and other worlds) is literally a rainbow bridge that could be described as nothing less then visually stunning and awe-inspiring. The camera work in the natural shots of the CGI world of Asgard bring us from the underwater depths to the jaw-dropping structures of the mountains, giving us beautiful perspective of this colorful world.

Thor proves to be an exceptional beginning to a franchise just waiting to happen. Most characters are engaging and diverse, the CGI is wonderful, and the villains are spine-tinglingly invigorating. The overused, stereotypical battle-heavy dialogue can be eye rolling-inducing, but as the film concludes, it will leave you begging for the sequel just to see the fate of Thor and Foster.
November 18, 2016
While a bit uneven at times, Chris Hemsworth's stellar performance as the son of Odin, Kenneth Branagh's sure-handed direction, amazing visuals (especially in Asgard) and some great action sequences as one would come to expect from a Marvel film allow Thor to be another entry (ahem) worthy of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
½ November 16, 2016
Thor is better then Thor: the dark world but that's not saying much. the fight at the beginning of the film between Thor and the frost giants is pretty badass and his character arc is interesting. it will leave marvel fanboys entertained but I'm not a fanboy. if theres anything else I need to say it's that the CGI could have been better

Owens grade: C
½ November 13, 2016
Saw it during a small pre-party. Never gave it a lot of attention, but it was on from start to finish and I picked up most of it.

Portman and Skarsgård was the few highlights here. Not because of they're acting, but since they are cool people. Other known actors here as well. Swell.
Overdone CGI, too much of it. The story is all over and a mess. Don't got much else to say really, never paid that much attention to it, but if it had been better I surely would.

3 out of 10 CGI Tønsbergs.
November 12, 2016
Yes good. Bit heavy on the morals. Great visually too.
November 12, 2016
It succeeds where it does, but Thor is more of a fun movie adventure, than a gripping story than the other MCU titles.
November 9, 2016
Solid, have everyone wanting more
½ November 9, 2016
A good movie with some funny scenes, action scenes found through weak, has a history until interesting, but the film itself has nothing very special, but what I hated most in the film was the appearance of Hawkeye, it just appeared to show the public that it exists, but he did nothing, they could have used a lot more character.
November 8, 2016
Fun, nicely shot, but it focuses on Azgardian friendships (family/sibling/friends) with minimal pay off in later films. THANK HEAVENS agents of SHIELD mined the GOLD from this film & gave it more exposure on its episodic series. (Boo hiss on THOR being shoved in the background in ULTRON! BOOOOO!)
½ November 4, 2016
I really enjoy this movie, and it is amazing how well they handled the difficult source material. It has some plot holes, but it is still one of Marvels most entertaining movies, and one where you actually care about both the heroes and (omg) the villain. The characters are complex, and truly got some development (unlike more recent MCU movies).
October 31, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: 'Thor' is majestic, fantastical yet extremely heart-filled. Sound good? Well it really is, and I think that's mostly down to Kenneth Brannagh's Shakespearean characterisation bringing this great world and these awesome characters to life in a surprisingly relateable manor. That doesn't mean we can't give this insane cast all the credit they deserve though, and nor does it mean we can't take our hats off to Marvel for giving this risky project the go-ahead. It's all the more praise-worthy when it's so charming, and in the end it will will make you smile, triumph, and it'll even tug at your heart strings.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It could have done with a touch more action and a more interesting plot to add to it's overall impact. Oh, and, what was Loki's plan exactly...?
VERDICT: A fantasy take on Superhero films, 'Thor' is sadly Marvel's forgotten gem - it's actually very good.
October 30, 2016
This was a lot better than I expected. It had a nice and interesting story and nice action. I'd give this one an 8/10.
½ October 27, 2016
A superhero with a magic hammer saves the world and other worlds. He loses his powers but regains them b being great and defeats his evil brother who isn't actually a blood relation so it's ok to hate him. So, fairly standard plot but it's a decent film because the characters are convincing and the effects are quite decent. No idea why Jeremy Renner lookalike appears in this weird 3 minute cameo with a bow and arrow but that aside it kind of held together quite well.
½ October 26, 2016
Another great addition to this evergrowing franchise
½ October 26, 2016
really ridicolous, bad actors, bad history. a wasted of time
½ October 20, 2016
Thor has its moments, but is strained by the bland human characters, the tie into The Avengers, and half of the humor is just stale! I can't see Natalie Portman as any other characters, because I believe that she hurt her reputation with the Star Wars prequels!
Don't even get me started on her friend Darcy! Kat Denning's is very sexy, I'll admit, but that's it! Her comedy sucks, and she knows it!
As for Chris Hemsworth? He's not bad as the hero and protagonist Thor! I give this feature high props for that! But for the rest of the film? It had potential, but was nearly squandered by lame jokes and a mediocre storyline. Hey, one other good thing we earned from this was Loki, right!?