Thor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thor Reviews

½ May 25, 2017
Thor exemplifies Hollywood mediocrity to its every last atom: it is simple, shallow, and void of anything remotely spectacular. Even without "its moments" -- or a modicum of contemplation -- it's wholly digestible, so long as you leave your experience at the theater.
½ May 24, 2017
This film seems more obligatory than necessary. Marvel Studios became focused on aligning its early heroes towards an eventual Avengers team-up film after the well executed Iron Man films, which caused movies like this to come off less like a good standalone introduction, and more like a 115 minute long trailer for the next movie. Actors' performances seemed to be on different levels, Tom Hiddleston and Sir Anthony Hopkins at the top with fully realized characters and emotions, Chris Hemsworth and the rest of his Asgard friends as cartoon characters in the middle, and surprisingly, Natalie Portman as the worst. Marvel Studios has often struggled with their portrayal of the girlfriend character for their heroes, where well established actresses (like Natalie Portman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Rachel McAdams, etc.) aren't given enough character development to seem like anything more than a girlfriend prop. This is evident in the scene where Thor regains his powers and she says things like "that is a good LOOK" after she just thought he died. The world of Asgard seems not fully realized (having a population of like 10 people?), and for some reason another Avenger is introduced who literally does nothing in the film. Overall, this movie is fine to watch once in order to get to the Avengers, but holds very little rewatch value, as it is often cringe inducing in terms of writing and acting.
½ May 16, 2017
perhaps one of the best Marvel entry movies, next to Iron Man.
Really love this movie.
4.5 / 5 if I had to give a rating.
½ May 14, 2017
A strong addition to the early Marvel canon, Thor is a solid film in its own right, but it struggles to maintain pace, and has plenty of plot-holes throughout. Pacing is decent, but the camera angles are frustrating. Despite its shortcomings, it's a good time.
May 9, 2017
Hemsworth and Hopkins are great. I didn't like Portman's characters exposition. Fun action movie with amazing special effects. I'm not sure why I don't like me Hiddleston.
May 8, 2017
A dull movie telling what was supposed to be a great story with weak characters, writing and production values. In no moment in the film do you feel like Thor is the god of lightning and thunder. Loki, while being represented well has no depth nor do we truly understand why he became a villain. In this movie, the mere knowledge of finding out that he was adopted is enough for him to go from good to bad. Thor as a character and a story provides so many ways to tell a great story but this movie fails in all accounts except having a lead character look convincingly as Thor.
½ May 8, 2017
Bringing the Norse mythology to the Marvel universe. Far away on the planet of Asgard, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is next in line to be king. When he decides to break a treaty with the Frost Giants, his father, Odin (Anthony Hopkins), decides he must be punished for his arrogance and exiles him to Earth without the powers of his mythical hammer. He must learn a lesson in humility if he wants to return home. Back when we were in Phase 1, this was the movie where things could have gone horribly wrong. Even though we have been dealing with superheroes, the stories so far have had a toenail in the realm of realism. Introducing gods into this team of humans could potentially make everything fall apart. That said, this was well before the time that we knew that Marvel could successfully do whatever they want, and they largely succeed with the origin of the god of thunder. One thing that I've loved about Marvel throughout the universe building is that they always get an eclectic list of directors that they utilize. For this, they got Kenneth Branagh of Shakespeare fame, and he brings a different touch to what we have seen thus far. He does overkill it on the Dutch angles, though, but that isn't something that the everyday movie watcher will necessarily notice. I do like how they address the fact that the folklore is a bit silly, and when they bust out the picture books, it just puts a punctuation mark on the point. There is a strong sense of pathos because Thor has to be humbled, and he is hot-headed and arrogant at the start, so you do connect when he gets knocked back a few pegs. What Thor has that other Marvel movies don't is the gem of a villain that is Loki. I don't think I enjoyed Tom Hiddleston's performance back when I first saw this back in 2011, as I thought he was overacting, but in retrospect, I can now respect what he brought to the table. He has a lot of fun in the role, and he is character that should have a stronghold in future stories to be told. While some of the movies like The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 may not have held up through the years, I feel like Thor has very much so, especially on revisiting it.
½ May 3, 2017
I thought this one was not the best one they made but I still saw this one in the Theater I was hoping for more of a fight
April 29, 2017
This film is clearly the weakest link in the Marvel chain of films. The characters are predictable and uninteresting. Thor is a basically a dumb jock. His big "growth in character" is that he learns care from a woman (basic Hollywood trope). The woman is supposed to be a PhD physicist, but she has an uncritical mind and is quickly distracted by the hunky (yet dumb) jock, Thor. Of course, there's lots of macho bashing of stuff and rescuing of women.

I do give some credit for a little humor and one strong female character. Unfortunately, the dullness of the characters (especially Thor's) is as heavy as his hammer and drags the film down. If you're in a hurry to get on to the Avengers, you won't be missing much if you skip this one.
½ April 28, 2017
the human world parts just felt like lead ups to the avengers, however the asgard parts were very good. Overall left you wanting more, not necessarily a good thing. The avengers has a lot to answer for
April 25, 2017
Nive comics movie with great script. Great movie to rent and enjoy. Mix modern and magic.
April 25, 2017
I am probably the only one who really loves this movie. Sure, it is very formulaic and conventional, but all of the mythology and the origins is very interesting.
April 23, 2017
This is most challenging film to due date in MCU! The story of this in the ground world is brilliant; praise the writers. An amazing origin story for both Thor and Loki.
April 21, 2017
Compared to most other marvel movies, this one actually has heart.
April 19, 2017
better then I thought
½ April 18, 2017
Thor has its moments, but is strained by the bland human characters, the tie into The Avengers, and half of the humor is just stale! I can't see Natalie Portman as any other characters, because I believe that she hurt her reputation with the Star Wars prequels!
Don't even get me started on her friend Darcy! Kat Denning's is very sexy, I'll admit, but that's it! Her comedy sucks, and she knows it!
As for Chris Hemsworth? He's not bad as the hero and protagonist Thor! I give this feature high props for that! But for the rest of the film? It had potential, but was nearly squandered by lame jokes and a mediocre storyline. Hey, one other good thing we earned from this was Loki, right!?
April 11, 2017
This film is a good setup, leading to "The Avengers". It has emotion, good visuals and a great villain, Loki, which is very well-played by Tom Hiddleston.
jamrcla
April 10, 2017
Brilliant film, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, The special effects were done well, I can't comment on the 3D as I watched the 2D version, The action scenes were ok, Only the first action sequence impressed me really, The story was great and that's what won me over the most, A little more humour than previous Marvel films but it fits in nicely.
½ March 30, 2017
this movie has a certain feel to it. part from the occasion funny gag, there isn't much in substance. and there's virtually no action in this movie. a let down for sure.
March 30, 2017
Loved the rainbow bridge! So pretty! Anyway, a fun movie with humour and pretty people and a touch (okay, a lot) of unrealistic character development, but hey, it's all fun!