THX 1138 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

THX 1138 Reviews

July 25, 2017
Disappointing. Poor pacing, little in the way of plot, and perpetually boring throughout.
½ June 16, 2017
Thank goodness, this movie is far more interesting than the original student film!
June 8, 2017
Creepy and minimalist George Lucas film that unravels at a snails pace but it does aesthetically recall the sterile perfection of Kubrick (particularly 2001 A Space Odyssey) while not necessarily generating the same sense of profundity. It is set in an Orwellian future society where a subterranean race are administered drugs to prevent them from 'feeling or expressing emotion'. One person decides to stop taking these drugs and is pursued by sinister looking robotic police. This is a 2004 restoration of the movie which I have watched and includes some tinkering with effects and filters but compared to Lucas's Star Wars 'digital touch ups', it is downright modest.
April 26, 2017
I liked this one more than star wars
½ March 15, 2017
Fairly good '1984' about government oppression. A lot of idea's in this were also used in Star Wars. I enjoyed it.
March 6, 2017
Bleak and somber dystopian sci-fi flick. There's some interesting (if a little cliche) ideas and design at play here, but the film drags to much to be truly great. Feels a little pretentious.
½ January 25, 2017
Very good movie, probably one of the best outlooks on what the future has installed for us quite enjoyed watching this movie when I was younger, George Lucas can really create something different and be great at the same time.
January 3, 2017
Yes,Lucas made a masterpiece before Star Wars.
½ December 23, 2016
An excessively cold sci-fi that doesn't deserve credit for its plot (Lucas doesn't seem to care enough about exploring his ideas to come up with a consistent social commentary) as it does for its technical merits, with a great use of visual effects and nice sound design.
December 19, 2016
Visually interesting and, at points, genuinely original in it's own concept, George Lucas's grand directional debut is quite unique and stylish, but it sort of loses it's main focus with dry characters and an oddly paced storyline that may distract mainstream audiences.
December 15, 2016
I own this DVD with its haunting imagery I'll never forget, and was taken by my brother to its original opening in Hollywood when it came out. My uncle, Walter Murch, was the editor of the film. I believe we are currently being insidiously herded toward the dystopian world presented in this film, and that one of the truest portal of assistance in fully realizing the truth of the behind-the-scenes movement toward this goal is to tune in to the much maligned, but steadfast in its presentation of and commitment to its research, Alex Jones Channel on YouTube.
December 6, 2016
One of the best 10 science fiction films.
September 1, 2016
A lot like Logan's run but just to slow of a pace to keep audiences locked in. I suspect that the main reason this movie fares well on this website is due to George Lucas's name.
½ July 7, 2016
Lucas's first feature film is a sci-fi dystopia reminiscent of "1984" and "Brave New World." It's not perfect (the pacing is kind of slow and that final chase scene drags), but it's a real promising first film. It's cool to see the beginnings of some of Lucas's trends: the faceless police officers behave very similar to stormtroopers, and the constant video screens, radio communication, and numbering remind me a lot of the Death Star.

There's not much here as far as characters and the story is familiar, but what this film excels at is atmosphere. I love all these industrial sets in parking garages and factories. The color palate is dull and everything is uniform. You can see a lot of later movies (particularly YA movies) adopting this.

Unfortunately, the only version I could find of this was the director's cut. I thought it'd be just a longer version, but Lucas definitely pulled a "Special Edition" on this one. Awful CGI pops up a lot and completely takes you out of the movie. I mean CGI that looks like a 90's video game. It's a real shame because while the technology of the original film is dated, it still works and feels cohesive. But looking at what he's done to Star Wars, I guess it shouldn't surprise me.

Kind of a slow movie, but essential for any sci-fi or film junkie.
½ June 27, 2016
I have no idea what was going on. Hard to follow and very confusing.
½ June 18, 2016
I see where you were going George, and I know this was made in '71, but I thought it could have had a clearer plot.
Film C.
½ June 16, 2016
George Lucas who created the Star Wars saga, THX & Star Wars, both the same categories but very different from on and other.

It looks iconic for the first time I've watched it.
½ June 4, 2016
My favorite Lucas film, even though he's more well known for his later work.
½ May 29, 2016
George Lucas directorial debut gave us a disturbing film about a dystopian future some kind similar to the one portrayed by Aldous Huxley in his book.
February 14, 2016
Pretty cool, but it`s filmmaking from another time. If you can handle that, it`s great. It is probably only for big cinema fans and sci-fi fans cause it`s a little too artsy. But at least it`s not something anybody`ll forget.

It surely influenced Terry Gilliam, Spielberg, even Kubrick I bet. It goes hand in hand with 1984, Brazil and Equilibrium. The director`s cut hugely helps it because it`s already pretty bizarre - it provides much better world building and communication with the viewer.

I prefer sci-fi like 12 Monkeys and Oblivion but this is quite a classic similar to 2001: A Space Odyssey and Alien.