Los Cronocrímenes (Timecrimes) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Los Cronocrímenes (Timecrimes) Reviews

½ December 19, 2018
Well... I've spent the last hour researching explanations as to what occurred in Timecrimes and its still confusing. The part I don't understand is what happens to previous iterations of Hector once they go in the time machine? Do they simply disappear and hence the later iteration is the only one alive now (because there can't be 3 Hectors all alive at the same time forever. Eventually there can only be 1, so what happens to the other 2? My logic is probably flawed because many other people seem to have figured this out.
Regardless, what an amazing movie. Hard to comprehend as it plays out but the general gist of it is easy to figure out. For a low budget indie, the creator of the film (Nacho) was able to accomplish outstanding feats without the use of stunning visuals, etc. I highly recommend this movie.
½ October 17, 2018
Kind of like spanish version of Triangle. End drags a bit though.
½ September 5, 2017
Surprisingly good and satisfying sci-fi/mystery drama, involving the seemingly hackneyed theme of time travel. But this film, with pleasant B-movie feeling, has something to say for the fans of unconventional movies. At times thrilling, at times comic, the story absorbs you completely. I wish there were more movies like this one. You don't need huge budgets, tremendous special effects. All you need is an interesting screenplay and genuine passion to tell it.
½ August 1, 2017
Nacho Vigalondo directed Timecrimes superbly and he is the one responsible for its greatness the most. The editing is phenomenal and the film is a textbook example of how great small-budget sci-fi can be as it uses its setting, high-concept and disturbing score to great effect. It has its great horror scenes, but it is above all a terrific thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout its running time. It is the ultimate time travel movie which should be watched extremely closely as it is filled with an incredible amount of detail and the fact that the film's execution is so well thought out makes it an especially rewarding experience leading to one the genre's best films of the 2000s.
March 27, 2017
Very creative story which kept me interested the whole time. The only problem I had was the protagonist made a lot of reaaally illogical decisions.
March 25, 2017
Really interesting film. The beginning was pretty freaky but then it hooked me and I couldn't look away. I love the development of the main character.

Some moments bothered me and felt unrealistic, though it was glaringly obvious these moments were merely to move the plot forward (none of which had anything to do with the actual plot or concept of time, just stupid little things a person would never go).
January 22, 2017
A time-travel thriller that manages to hold together all the way through is something wondrous to behold. Of course, there is nothing "deep" here, just pure genre film-making that uses a low budget to weave a magical web of plot complexity. But there may yet be a philosophical question at its heart: if you travel back in time, would you meet yourself? And if those two selves meet, if they could, what would happen? In this case, middle aged Hector is encouraged (by the director Nacho Vigalondo) to jump into a laboratory machine which promptly transports him a couple of hours back in time. Naturally, once there, he manages to screw up the course of reality - but how to fix it? The answer has him on the run for most of the film's 90 or so minutes, keeping viewers from catching their breath (and mulling over the possible plot inconsistencies). Moreover, the film might actually count as a neo-noir of sorts, if you consider that Hector (the protagonist) got himself into this plight by pursuing a naked woman in the woods after seeing her accidentally with his binoculars (and the ending is also very dark). If he had just refrained, then all would have been different. Or at least that's one version of what could have been. Calling Hector 1 - 2 - 3 - 4!
½ December 28, 2016
A few interesting ideas but I imagine the appeal would probably be for people interested in the machinations of time travel. The story doesn't add up to much.
½ December 24, 2016
A decent time-travel film that seems like an extended Twilight Zone episode lacking a strong main character, and while it is really mysterious and intriguing in its first half hour, it soon becomes quite predictable, despite a clever twist in the last act of its circular plot.
December 16, 2016
This was an interesting movie, worth seeing for sure...
October 30, 2016
Vigalondo created his time loop and he liked it so much, that he filled it with stupid characters that don't have any common sense or logic in order to make it work.

Timescrimes is really bad. Not only because characters are stupid but because the "OMG! so amazing twists" are entirely predictable. It is really sad when a movie keeps trying to surprise you but you figured out everything 1 hour before.

Boring, predictable and stupid. I do not recommend it.

Also, worst main character ever. Yeah...
October 10, 2016
Its difficult to define if Timecrimes actually makes sense or not, but as every movie regarding time travel, having some credibility flaws is more than normal.
And even so, this movie is a truly terrifying experience, full of plot twists and turns; a must watch for the time travel enthusiasts.
September 1, 2016
David Cronenberg was going to remake this. I don't pretend to know what transpired then, but I imagine he stopped himself because he realized he really just wished he had made it FIRST. The concept is so simple, and the turmoil produced slides into anxiety so neatly, it's very easy to wonder why this isn't shot in black and white, starring Bela Lugosi, Peter Lorre or EHEM! Claude Rains (visual comparisons to 'The Invisible Man' notwithstanding). An instant classic. It remains my personal favorite among Time-Travel films.
August 31, 2016
Great time travel thriller that get progressively more desperate. Can you travel back in time to change something awful? This picture explains why it might not be a paradox. A perfectly consistent time travel movie with a great twist.
½ August 27, 2016
5.5/10
I didn't know what to expect from this movie, but because of its good reviews I ended very disappointed. It's not because it's a bad movie, it was the fact that it had a very stupid and unlikable protagonist and even though the story was clever at times, his actions were very dumb and thus the movie suffered as a result.
~August 27, 2016~
August 14, 2016
Sub par movie about time travel, and trying to fix what you messed up.
July 31, 2016
Two review versions for no spoiler first-time watchers and repeat watchers (i.e. Criminals)

NON-SPOILER: This sci-fi film with surprisingly no special effects is a great demonstration of how to make multiple parallel linear scenarios converge seamlessly. As you can imagine, this perk may also serve as a gift and a curse towards the predictability of this film halfway through. I would only recommend it for technical reasons, where film students would find it to be an inspiring/rewarding experience.

SPOILER: Below are some moments of un-engaging moments I have slightly trivialised for you... so please forgive my comical relief. Let's call the protagonist 'Mummy' for Mummified, and 'Bane' of the Batman character's wardrobe resemblance.
___________________
Scene - Protagonist sees scientist for the first-time, knows him for around a minute.
(Stranger)Scientist: "Get in the Bathtub" (Lowering the lid to hide Hector)
Protagonist: "Uh... what about you?"
(Stranger)Scientist: "I will follow you"
Protagonist: "Ok"
-------------------------
Scene - Mummy Bane crashes car off-road.
Innocent Girl: "Are you ok?"
(Stranger)Mummy Bane: "I'm fine" (has blood all-over his Mummy face.)
Innocent Girl: "Ok" and she walks back towards her bike...
-------------------------
Scene - Mummy Bane walks back to the main street, girl starts calling for assistance...
(Stranger)Mummy Bane: "No, please don't make the call"
Innocent Girl: "But..."
(Stranger)Mummy Bane: "No, it's ok"
-------------------------
Scene - Mummy Bane looks towards the leafy path leading to the dark evening forest...
(Stranger)Mummy Bane: "Come with me"
Innocent Girl: "Ok"
-------------------------
I'm not sure if this was intentional, but the film's director may have attempted what seems to be an opaque intent, highlighting the cast's shared behaviour of poisonous human curiosity for what lies ahead (think 'binoculars')
½ July 23, 2016
Don't think I'm spoiling anything here since the title implies it, this subgenre of sci-fi movies gets me every time, if done properly.

This movie drags in the first half but gets tricky in the second. Overall a commendable effort.
July 7, 2016
Low budget Spanish mystery/thriller. Simple and inventive.
May 22, 2016
The original to the Hollywood movie "Triangle". Well realized time travel tale with almost no plot holes.