Tonka Reviews

• May 31, 2020

A hearty tale of Comanche, a horse who survived the Battle of the Little Bighorn. Sal Mineo and Philip Carey are good in their respective roles of White Bull and Myles Keogh, though more suitable casting should've been made for the former obviously. None of the other cast stand out. The premise is what's most interesting about this film, as we follow the journey of 'Tonka' across differing owners. It isn't the greatest in terms of enjoyment, it goes through peaks and troughs with some parts becoming rather slow. However, the horse and Mineo keep things floating at a decent level to make for a solid 1958 production.

• Jul 14, 2013

Tonka is an excellent film. It is about White Bull, a young Sioux, who proves his manhood by catching and training a wild colt he names Tonka. Sal Mineo and Philip Carey give fantastic performances. The screenplay is well written. Lewis R. Foster did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed this motion picture because of the adventure. Tonka is a must see.

• Mar 28, 2013

One of the few films that present the Native American Indian people in a human more accurate light. From my knowledge Disney had minimal input in the film & you can see that. Sal Mineo who played the Young Indian lead was fantastic & gave a great performance. For 1958 it was ahead of its time by challenging that Custer was not the hero he was cracked up to be. It's a likeable film that is interesting to watch & breath of fresh air to see Indians portrayed much more properly.

• Oct 06, 2012

My dad's favourite movie. This is his rating.

My dad's favourite movie. This is his rating.

• Feb 23, 2010

(First and only viewing - 11/29/2011)

(First and only viewing - 11/29/2011)

• Sep 13, 2009

I was just a little girl when I saw this movie and today I am 56 years old. I think this is the best movie I have ever seen and I will try to get a copy of it. Anyone who loves horses will thoroughly enjoy this movie. It should be classified as a classic! I believe I saw it on a Walt Disney Sunday Night Special. This is a must see movie for horse lovers and children. Susan (still in love with this horse and Indian)

• Dec 21, 2008

I liked this (Disney I believe) movie about an Indian boy and a horse. (Note: This movie is NOT about a truck

• Jun 21, 2007

Ony of my alltime favourite movies growing up!

Ony of my alltime favourite movies growing up!