Touching the Void - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Touching the Void Reviews

½ October 13, 2017
14/10/17 An intense remake of a mountaineering adventure that goes horribly wrong.
September 26, 2017
viewed on 10/8/04 (Tues)

It is a documentary made of the interviews of two mountaineers who survived a very very perilous journey down this west face of Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes in 1985 and the very realistic reenactment. Sorry, folks, I can't really relate to it. I don't know why. Maybe it is very similar to those life-assuring stories about overcoming impossible circumstances, like the ones we read in Readers' Digest. Maybe, I am not into mountaineering at all. The narration is very captivating, one of them even had tears in his eyes as he described the unbearable sense of abandonment in the cold wilderness. The reenactment is also very realistic. Did they do it with special effects? Did it in a studio? On location? Can't be, given the incredibly harsh climate and terrain! Well, at the end of the day, it still comes back to the same point. It is not I brush aside all the effort put in to tell a story of enormous willpower, but I just can't relate to it... fine?

Rating: B-
July 4, 2017
A captivating docudrama that really emphasizes the sceneries and tough situations to resonate emotionally a little, while generally a gripping survival tale that was accomplished with accurate realism. It started out as an atmospheric, trippy demonstration to maximize the reduced aura of the dangerous hobby to a difficult personal story on both ascension and descension with sorrowful results when hope and faith gets tested. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
April 4, 2017
This movie keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time. It's very tense even though the outcome is already known.

This movie details the true story of a mountaineering expedition gone horribly wrong. It shows the 2 climbers struggling to make it back down as more and more things go wrong.

Even though we already know the ending, the movie is still quite the thrill ride. It keeps us on the edge of our seats the entire time. It is very gripping and the movie draws the viewer into the action immensely.

The great acting, facial expressions, sound and music, editing, and set design only makes the tension bigger and it immerses the viewer even more.

This is a movie that you have to experience. It's hard to watch at times due to the graphic nature of some of its scenes but it's truly an amazing film which keeps the viewer engaged from beginning to end. It's a must watch for all fans of the genre.
February 21, 2017
Grade - A-
Touching the Void tells of an unbelievable fight for survival, with gripping direction from Kevin Macdonald and a truly amazing narration by the two climbers. This true story deserves to be seen.
February 20, 2017
A bit tedious after a while with the same bloke telling you he was going to die when he quite clearly hadn't
½ February 4, 2017
Superb film on mountaineering. Chilling!
January 26, 2017
Great true story film/documentary. Felt the same climbing Ben Nevis :)
December 11, 2016
I thought I was nuts!
October 26, 2016
A literally unbelievable true story. Must see for any mountaineering fan.
½ October 17, 2016
Amazing true story where despite knowing that the characters survive it is still gripping. Makes you want to seize the day.
August 21, 2016
5/5 very engaging and nicely depicted
½ June 30, 2016
Conquering death and beyond. Magnificent survival by pure and true will.
½ May 23, 2016
Pretty unbelievable.
April 24, 2016
Such an amazing story, and a great documentary.
March 3, 2016
The reconstructions are extremely well made and the whole movie just kind of slowly draws you in. Its a great documentary for anyone but it still pleases the climbing enthusiasts out there!
½ January 11, 2016
A documentary and reenactment of climbers Joe Simpson (Brendan Mackey) and Simon Yates (Nicholas Aaron) first accent of the Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes in 1985, and the disaster that followed. After Simpson broke his leg in a fall on the decent, Yates is forced to lower him down the mountain with ropes in a treacherous snowstorm. Their plan works for a time but eventually puts Yates in a position where he is forced to decide whether to cut the rope and save himself or likely die of exposure fighting for a lost cause.

While the acting and production value is a little budget, the story will blow your mind. It touches on themes of courage, despair, regret and responsibility. All the while leaving you asking yourself, "what would I have done?"
January 8, 2016
I loved the book, but while watching the film, I just wanted to turn the thing off, which, in the end, I did. I found it lacking. Void.
November 16, 2015
My absolute favorite
September 26, 2015
Has to be seen to be described. If you like Everest, you will love this equally true story.