Touching the Void - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Touching the Void Reviews

December 11, 2016
I thought I was nuts!
October 26, 2016
A literally unbelievable true story. Must see for any mountaineering fan.
½ October 17, 2016
Amazing true story where despite knowing that the characters survive it is still gripping. Makes you want to seize the day.
August 22, 2016
**** Touching the Void tells of an unbelievable fight for survival, with gripping direction from Kevin Macdonald and a truly amazing narration by the two climbers. This true story deserves to be seen.
August 21, 2016
5/5 very engaging and nicely depicted
½ July 19, 2016
This movie keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time. It's very tense even though the outcome is already known.

This movie details the true story of a mountaineering expedition gone horribly wrong. It shows the 2 climbers struggling to make it back down as more and more things go wrong.

Even though we already know the ending, the movie is still quite the thrill ride. It keeps us on the edge of our seats the entire time. It is very gripping and the movie draws the viewer into the action immensely.

The great acting, facial expressions, sound and music, editing, and set design only makes the tension bigger and it immerses the viewer even more.

This is a movie that you have to experience. It's hard to watch at times due to the graphic nature of some of its scenes but it's truly an amazing film which keeps the viewer engaged from beginning to end. It's a must watch for all fans of the genre.
½ June 30, 2016
Conquering death and beyond. Magnificent survival by pure and true will.
½ May 23, 2016
Pretty unbelievable.
April 24, 2016
Such an amazing story, and a great documentary.
March 3, 2016
The reconstructions are extremely well made and the whole movie just kind of slowly draws you in. Its a great documentary for anyone but it still pleases the climbing enthusiasts out there!
½ January 11, 2016
A documentary and reenactment of climbers Joe Simpson (Brendan Mackey) and Simon Yates (Nicholas Aaron) first accent of the Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes in 1985, and the disaster that followed. After Simpson broke his leg in a fall on the decent, Yates is forced to lower him down the mountain with ropes in a treacherous snowstorm. Their plan works for a time but eventually puts Yates in a position where he is forced to decide whether to cut the rope and save himself or likely die of exposure fighting for a lost cause.

While the acting and production value is a little budget, the story will blow your mind. It touches on themes of courage, despair, regret and responsibility. All the while leaving you asking yourself, "what would I have done?"
January 8, 2016
I loved the book, but while watching the film, I just wanted to turn the thing off, which, in the end, I did. I found it lacking. Void.
November 16, 2015
My absolute favorite
September 26, 2015
Has to be seen to be described. If you like Everest, you will love this equally true story.
August 30, 2015
Incredibly moving and utterly absorbing.
August 3, 2015
Story about two climbers who will decides to climb a mountain in Peru and have some adventure.. it is a good survival story indeed.
½ July 31, 2015
Story about two climbers who will decide to climb on a mountain in Peru and their adventure will make their friendship even stronger. Touching the void is one of the best survival stories of all the time.
½ May 27, 2015
Great documentary based on the book by Joe Simpson that needs to be seen to be believed. I'm not a huge fan of reenactments in docs, but the scenes are really well done and extremely believable. The essence of survival.
March 31, 2015
The best true story of survival I've ever seen. Because of the interviews you know how the movie will end, but that doesn't spoil the experience. The guy moves at a snails pace, but it's still an incredible adventure. At the end of the movie it isn't his survival that touches you, but the fact that you're so proud of him and what he went through to survive. This is more a man vs. his own dying body than a man vs. nature film. Through the whole movie they keep saying they thought for sure he was dead and you feel so much satisfaction when his friends find him that it's like you accomplished something great just for witnessing this brave mans experience.
March 15, 2015
The most incredible, authentic tale of human perseverance, i have ever heard.
See this film!