Trancers Reviews

• Jan 20, 2020

An entertaining helping of B movie goodness. And a young Helen Hunt before she became famous. Looking for realistic well thought out sci fi? Move along, there's nothing for you here. Want something cheesy, cheap and silly? Press play, its worth checking out.

• Jan 18, 2020

I can't believe that the reviews are as good as they are. Other than the fact that I lived in Los Angeles in the 80s, and it was a fun trip down memory lane, this movie is not at all entertaining. Bad acting, bad script, no humor. It's hard to believe that the six sequels are worse than this original.

• Jul 02, 2019

Easily the best movie made with a 400,000 budget; it never lets the lack of a budget stop the film from being entertaining or fun, and it looks like a million dollar budgeted picture. Thomerson and Hunt were great together and they added to the movie to give it an unexpected heart and a soul.. in terms of B movies without much of a budget or hopes this movie destroyed all of those things and became a classic.

• Nov 01, 2018

if only the lead role in this film was swapped for the lead role in blade runner we'd have a superlative serious sci-fi and a fun sci-fi...7.2/10

• Brendan N Super Reviewer
    Sep 23, 2018

You have to laugh when the poster showcases equipment the lead character will never wear. The film was not the worst, but it was not the guilty pleasure I had expected. I wanted to enjoy this film and for the first twenty minutes I thought I was on the right track. The music is comedic at the diner, it sets the tone for the rest of the film, this is not serious and appears to be a studio film ahead of all the studio films now. This had potential to be something more. The film has some fun and seeing a young Helen Hunt in action was an interesting surprise. 23/09/2018.

• Sep 16, 2018

Transfers has everything I want from a great B-movie; solid performances, practical effects that serve the story, and it's one hell of a fun ride! If you're a fan of 80s action sci-fi, give transfers a shot!

• May 02, 2017

Dumb 80s scifi ruined by hokey acting, too much romance, Helen hunt, mentions of Christmas, and not enough Scifi stuff. Ive seen movies that were alot worse but I wouldn't recommended this unless you are big into 80s cheese like back to the future. I preferred his earlier film, metalstorm.

• Sep 04, 2016

Charles Band's best film as a director, though that's a rather low bar when your filmography includes such titles as "Dollman vs. Demonic Toys" and "Evil Bong: High 5." A majority of the film's success has to go to the film's writers, Danny Bilson and Paul De Meo, who wrote the very underrated film version of "The Rocketeer," and credit also to the film's two leads, the excellent Tim Thomerson and a before-she-was-famous Helen Hunt. The story here follows a cop from the future, Jack Deth, who's hot on the trail of a master criminal, Whistler, who has psychic abilities to put others under his control (trance). Deth is sent back in time to stop Whislter who's time traveled to modern day (well, 1980s) Los Angeles. Deth hunts him down with the help of plucky party girl, Hunt, the two of which who make a very charming couple. The script is far better than most Band productions, the special effects hold up, and the lead actors are terrific. It's hard to go wrong with this film.

• Jun 26, 2016

Such a blast! It's such a shame Thomerson never became the huge actor he deserved. They don't make em like they used to...

• Jun 24, 2016

Trancers (1985) C-76m. ??? D: Charles Band. Tim Thomerson, Helen Hunt, Michael Stefani, Art LaFleur. Hard-nosed police inspector Thomerson is sent back in time to terminate an evil criminal who kills government officials in the past so they won't exist in the future. Very entertaining sci-fi with imaginative sets, amusing Thomerson performance, tongue-in-cheek script, and remarkable pacing. Hunt is also an asset. Followed by several sequels.