Transformers: Age of Extinction - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Transformers: Age of Extinction Reviews

½ August 21, 2017
Oh god their gonna make another one?!
½ August 21, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Well, Greg, we just survived another Transformers movie.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Let s find out if any of the heroes underwent a transformation...

SCOTT: The movie begins with scientists discovering that Transformers killed all life on earth 65 million years ago. We also learn that five years ago, Transformers were narrowly defeated in the Battle of Chicago , which left Transformer debris and technology scattered over North America. Then we meet Texas inventor Cade Yeager (Mark Wahlberg), his beautiful teenage daughter Tessa (Nicola Peltz), and his friend Lucas (T.J. Miller). Cade dreams of using abandoned Transformer technology to create inventions that will make his family rich. Meanwhile, his home is being foreclosed, and his daughter is mad at him for being irresponsible and overprotective.

GREG: Lucas, unbeknownst to Yeager, has called the Feds because the Transformer they found is Optimus Prime who has a bounty on his head. The CIA is out to destroy all Transformers (both the good Autobots and the evil Decepticons) in favor of a new robotic technology built by the company KSI (assisted by galactic bounty hunter Lockdown). The CIA operatives descend on Yeager s Texas farm and he, his daughter, and her boyfriend Shane (Jack Reynor) are on the run with Optimus Prime and what is left of the Autobots.

SCOTT: Greg, Age of Extinction puts the Stink in Extinction. This is easily among the worst movies of 2014. There are so many problems with the film that I don t even know where to begin. Let s start with the obvious: Director Michael Bay clearly worships at the altar of the More is Better philosophy of movie-making. It s the idea that more action, more chase scenes, and longer movies are better. The word that comes to mind to describe this mess rhymes with cluster-truck . And yes, we see a lot of trucks in the movie, because of course more is better. For me, watching this movie was an endurance contest, with millions of my brain cells, already damaged by watching past bad movies, fighting for survival. I m shocked that Mark Wahlberg agreed to participate in this mess -- he s proven himself to be a skilled actor capable of attracting far better movie roles. In Transformers: Age of Extinction, Wahlberg is reduced to uttering one hackneyed and predictable line after another. For 160 minutes, he s either being chased by Transformers or protecting his daughter from danger. I felt sorry for him.

GREG: I feel your pain, Scott. I was also struggling throughout the nearly 3-hour film to reconcile the multiple plot lines (father/daughter/boyfriend, CIA/alien/Transformer, entrepreneur/inventor, Autobot/alien/Decepticon) with only limited success. If it is any consolation, this is probably the best of the Transformers movies with the addition of Wahlberg over troublesome actor Shia LaBeouf. I ve sat through all four of these films and it s clear they appeal to a very specific audience. The film is too intense for smaller children and a bit too childish for grown adults. It hits its sweet-spot with 13-25 year-old boys and fans of the original Transformers show. It must be a fairly big demographic because over this weekend alone, Transformers brought in about $100 million. It is also on-target to be the first movie to garner $1 Billion in worldwide revenues. There s no doubt that Michael Bay knew what he was doing with this film. Whether you like the film or not, it reaches its audience and in a big way.

SCOTT: The money this movie will make pains me; it is just so undeserving. Never has a major movie relied on so many tiresome set-ups and situations. There is the damsel in distress, shown in full shameless fashion about 6 dozen times, as poor Tessa needs either her dad or her boyfriend to save her repeatedly. There is the overused idea of government higher-ups conspiring against us all and sticking it to the little guys. There is a little Jar Jar Binks character whose main role is to annoy us even further. There is a 30-second speech that Yeager gives to a bad guy, Joshua Joyce (Stanley Tucci), a speech that miraculously converts Joyce to the good guys side. Let s examine the quality of the hero s journey. To me, this film appears to feature a couple of group ensemble heroes: The Yeagers are a family unit and the Transformer team, led by Optimus Prime, is a police/military unit. You could say that Yeagers character does evolve, as his hatred for Mary s boyfriend eventually turns to admiration. This change, of course, is painfully predictable and hardly convincing. Several basic elements of the hero s journey are here, although they lack depth or interest.

GREG: The lead heroes are Yeager and Optimus Prime. Prime is feeling let down by the human race as he came to Earth to save us from the evil Decepticons. Now, he is hunted by humans and he has lost the urge to keep humans safe from their own stupidity. He undergoes a transformation as Yeager pleads with him to help his family and all of mankind. Admittedly, this is a pretty weak story arc. Still it is stronger than what we ve been fed in previous incarnations of the Transformers cinematic universe. The villains aren t much better. We are treated to a good performance by Kelsey Grammer (who, by the way, also appears in Think Like a Man, Too released last week). Grammer s character is a typical bad guy government bureaucrat who is running the CIA. Like other villains of this type, we don t get much backstory, only that he is evil. He stereotypically does not get his hands dirty and enlists henchmen to perform his evil-do. And on the Transformer side of the aisle, there is the evil Lockdown who is an intergalactic bounty hunter. He is also of the pure-evil cast and offers no real counterpoint to Optimus Prime except for an extended robot battle in the climax.

SCOTT: I m fascinated by the way movies portray the head villain. Grammer s character, Harold Attinger, plays a stereotypical head mastermind who rarely gets his hands dirty and spends most of his time telling his henchmen what to do. We ve seen this villainous structure in many other movies. For some reason, filmmakers have decided that while the main hero is going to take bullets, fall from buildings, and get physically battered, the main villain is a central command figure who only strains himself making all those tough evil decisions. One other word about the Transformers themselves. They are imposing mechanical beasts that serve as yet another example of the movie industry s fetish for size, especially when it comes to villains. How many behemoths have we seen in the movies this past couple of years? I was struck by the shape of these manly, macho mechanical beasts -- they sport massive biceps and pecs and teeny, tiny, almost Barbie Doll waists. Do robots really need to show bulging muscles to do their dirty work?

GREG: Scott, you called Transformers the worst movie of the year. You may have forgotten the travesty and complete waste of time that was Transcendence. Or the painfully unfunny Ride Along. Or completely misguided Labor Day. Still, I have to admit Transformers: Age of Extinction certainly does rate down there with them. For an excruciatingly long overdose of robotic chaos I give this film 2 out of 5 Reels. The heroes are very plain-brown-wrapper and do not stretch our imaginations very far. Wahlberg does a good job of playing the father-who-cares and Optimus Prime transforms a bit too. I give them just 2 out of 5 Heroes. There is no new ground with the villains in this story. The Stanley Tucci character is a Steve Jobs inspired head of corporation who is turned from evil to good. Grammer s character is right out of the evil government playbook. And Lockdown was not even entertaining. I give these poor sketches of characters just 1 out of 5 Villains. Movie: Villains: Heroes:

SCOTT: Greg, you began this review by pondering whether there was a transformation in the movie. Yes, this is a Transformers movie and so of course there were plenty of transforming events. Chief among them was my transformation from a happy man at the start of the film to a bitter curmudgeon who felt robbed of two and a half hours of his life at the end. A more apt name for this movie is Skunkformers or Trashformers. This movie is borderline Hall of Shame material and barely manages 1 Reel out of 5. The heroes were wafer-thin, predictable, and uninteresting. Wait, I take that back. There is one interesting character, Lucas Flannery, but he s killed off early in the film. His quick exit was a portend of things to come. There are elements of the hero journey in this film but they are completely overwhelmed by the relentless onslaught of senseless chase scenes, explosions, and CGI chaos. Your rating of 2 Heroes out of 5 seems about right. The villains were familiar retreads of villains we ve seen a thousand times before. I thought Kelsey Grammer did a nice job in his role, but he and Wahlberg were both good actors trapped in a cinematic mess. I ll agree with you that 1 Villain out of 5 is an accurate rating here. Movie: Villains: Heroes:
½ August 18, 2017
I've never been the kind of guy to critic a transformers movie or any Michael Bay films for that matter but good gosh this was awful. This
one was the hardest to try to swallow, choke on, and eventually cough up onto the floor.
August 17, 2017
Calling all Autobots because Transformers: Age of Extinction, is the bomb and they are coming to safe and destroy the universe in reaL D)) 3D and IMAX 3D :)
August 11, 2017
Though the cinematography overall wasn't very pleasing, the wonderful design, plot, and meaning were enough to prove that this film is the best fourth installment you will ever find.
August 11, 2017
The visual effects are so awesome. The battle scenes are good. The worst parts are TJ miller's character dies, Kelsey Grammer's Character killed by Optimus prime, Romeo and Juliet law, the non-robot human scenes, product placement, Optimus prime's racist lines. Screw you ehren Kruger
August 6, 2017
Such a huge disappointment, waiting 3 years for nothing.
½ August 5, 2017
Age of Extinction is, without a doubt, the worst Transformers movie so far. This bloated 2 hours and 45 minutes movie is filled with noise, action, explosions, and CGI, but the plot and characters are pretty much non-existent.

Like previous Transformers movies, they focus too much on the human characters, which would be fine if any of them were interesting. Apart from returning characters (Optimus Prime and Bumblebee), none of the new Transformers are particularly memorable.

With an entirely new cast, you would think Michael Bay and writer Ehren Kruger (who wrote the previous two Transformers movies) would actually come up with something new and different. Nope! The same plot from all the previous Transformers movies gets reused, with many action scenes, explosions and car chases working its way into the plot.

What makes this the worst Transformers movie is that every line of dialogue are just bad attempts at humour, and the movie never seems to end. Action scenes would go on for about 5-6 scenes too long, especially the "third act" action scene, which actually started in the middle of the second act. I checked the time on my phone when I thought the movie was in the third act, but the movie was still in the second act as it went on for another HOUR, and the final hour was basically one boring, never ending action scene.

The performances were mediocre at best. Mark Wahlberg was watchable, and at least he wasn't given any silly dialogues. Unfortunately, some of that went to Stanley Tucci, who was the unfunny comic relief in the second half of his scenes.

Michael Bay said Revenge of the Fallen was "crap", but he put together a film that's pretty much identical to it, but worse. As long as Michael Bay continues to direct Transformers, the potential of a good Transformers movie (which I saw in the first film) will cease to exist.
August 3, 2017
This is my least favorite Transformers movieverse installment, OUT OF ALL OF THEM!!! Even though the new Autobots Drift, Crosshairs and Hound were surprisingly enjoyable, and I guess Lockdown was a pretty cool character, the rest of the movie of a complete waste of time! The Dinobots (except, maybe Grimlock) LITTERALY don't do ANYTHING in the entire movie, except just being there like Jolt in ROTF, Galvatron is like a mindless zombie now, Optimus has probably by far, the worst designs EVER (which is really insulting to how much I love this character), and Bumblebee has gone from my favorite Autobots to one of the most despised ones. In fact, WHAT IS EVEN THE PLOT OF THE WHOLE FREAKING MOVIE!?!?!? ROTF and DOTM at least had their plots, here we are just watching the movie and yet I don't even know what the movie is going to be about. I guess the plot was about humans killing Autobots, but y'know what!? SCREW YOU BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! >:(
August 2, 2017
Action packed and funny
½ July 31, 2017
is half good but the humans come out more than the poor transformers and the dinobots come out in the last of the movie
July 30, 2017
They get point for CGI. That's it. 1/5
July 28, 2017
It's perhaps the worst-reviewed film of all time to gross a billion dollars at the box office. It made more money than the GOOD toy-based movie released in 2014. It's the cocky director's second-highest grossing movie behind its predecessor. Give it up for TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION. Like most people who enjoy this crap, I only come to see giant CG robots fighting other giant CG robots. I don't go in expecting some powerful drama from the human characters. And the movie sure as hell delivers what fans of Michael Bay's most profitable work have come to expect. Better storytelling than Revenge of the Fallen, that's for sure. I don't think the effects are as bad as some people say they are. Sadly, some solid computer-generated action isn't enough to save the movie from occasionally juvenile humour, bland performances from the human actors except maybe Mark Wahlberg, a punishingly overlong runtime and a bad case of both racism and sexism. The racism here isn't as bad as with the twins in RotF but it's still stupid for Michael Bay to expect that all Chinese people are magically martial arts experts. Also, in this movie, with regards to the aformentioned sexism, in this movie, the whole "women wear revealing clothing" thing that Bay's got going on is pushed to an unbearable limit. Hey, I believe in equality. It's not the explosion maestro's worst film to date and the Dinobots appearance make the experience worth it but, even though I like it enough to grant it three stars, with a flawed screenplay and incoherent narrative, this entry in the blockbuster franchise is less than meets the eye.
July 26, 2017
It appalls me that this gets 18% but literal shit like Rick and Morty gets 100%.
July 25, 2017
I felt I had grown a new set of nails by the time this film was over. I... just don't feel the inspiration to write about this. Just skip it.
July 25, 2017
Transformers extinction was nothing new, just the same formulaic film. However, it was entertaining in some parts.
July 24, 2017
First and foremost from the get go the film weirdly suggests it's self aware with IMAX and remake jokes that are so flat and forced it's sickening. Secondly, every single cast member here is miscast, from the leads to supporting cast. Why is Whalberg an inventor? Why is the boyfriend Irish? If I have to question what should be natural character development then that's a major issue with character connecting with an audience. The reboot and inclusion of a new cast should've been an exciting prospect and rectify earlier issues that plagued the series. So why then does Bay make the exact same issues apparent again? Why overly sexualise a character whose meant to be 17? Why add redundant and irrelevant characters into the pot with no substance? It's almost tragic that it's fallen foul to the exact problems of its predecessor and with an astonishing run time of almost three hours it's horrifically paced with a schizophrenic climax that's both rushed and bloated and just ends. The exploration of the mythology is the only really saving grace and even then, it's rushed and forgotten about as soon as it is shown on screen.
½ July 22, 2017
Michael Bayism at its finest.
½ July 20, 2017
This one is better than Transformers revenge of the fallen but not as good as Dark of the moon but there is some fun action in the movie
½ July 18, 2017
I had nothing but poor words upon first watching this film, the plot line is paper thin and fitting with the lore of the franchise. I could buy a rogue agent going dark after losing family members during Chicago, but the filmmakers lost every fan with this film. Michael Bay came close to saving the franchise with the previous film but this basically killed the series. They attempt to reboot the franchise but it wasn't the right move keeping Bay as director or even producer, just look at the two TMNT reboot films, poorly developed. You can understand why Bay is the first choice to direct, each film since the first film, has hit the billion dollar mark. This film had some great bests until the 1.5 hour mark, after that it becomes a mess of toy selling and too much over thinking plot points. The film is just another Megatron and Optimus Prime face off, this storyline had been played to death and that final 40 minutes is embarrassing to watch. The sad truth is that the Transformers are the only thing worth watching and the human sections are the weak link. Bay can shoot the hell out of a scene and the camera work is amazing, don't look for any direction provided to the actors, it looks as though he ignored the script and let everyone make up their performance. The franchise looks to be toppling over with the latest film but the groundwork was already laid in this film. Boring and overlong, a script with just the bounty hunter. 18-07-2017.