Transformers: Age of Extinction - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Transformers: Age of Extinction Reviews

½ February 16, 2018
The only thing I found wrong with this movie was a plot hole. Every thing else, Story, acting, effects., all great. But the ability of Galvatron and his cronies to do that fluid transformation suddenly disappeared for the end fight. What happened?
½ February 11, 2018
BORING BORING BORING!!!!! at 165 almost 3 hours of robot fighting with absolutely no story
February 8, 2018
IS TOO ULTRA MEGA DISASTROUS MOVIE AND IT'S HORRIBLE AND IT'S A WORST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT'S HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WORST LIKE JACK AND JILL, WORST LIKE DONKEY KONG COUNTRY THE SHOW THAT MY BROTHER HATE THAT SHOW, WORST LIKE TTG BECAUSE IT'S HORRIBLE, WORST LIKE MAC AND ME, AND I WILL GOING TO SAY WORST LIKE KIRBY RIGHT BACK AT YA IS THE GROSS, PILE OF DIRT BOX,AND WORST 2001 AND 2000 STUPID 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT'S HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SO MANY OF THIS WORST MOVIES FROM ALL ENTIRE YEARS FROM THE 80s, 90s, 2000s, AND 2010s OF ALL BAD TIME SO FAR!!!!!!!!!!!
½ February 3, 2018
Though the cinematography overall wasn't very pleasing, the wonderful design, plot, and meaning were enough to prove that this film is the best fourth installment you will ever find.
½ January 30, 2018
A movie that starts as a 5/10 and continually goes down hill as it goes. with a 2 hour and 45 minute run time you'll find that continually banging your head against a wall is not only a better use of your time, you'll lose less brain cells as well
January 30, 2018
the visuals were okay and so was the sound but i find this latest entry to be the worst and quite frankly boring
January 10, 2018
The worst of the series, stumbles through set pieces without any characters or an understandable story. It feels like a vehicle for Chinese audiences, and you can tell Michael Bay is not putting his heart into this one at all.
½ December 23, 2017
Butchered my favorite transformers. Disgusting.
½ December 16, 2017
I just wanted to see the dinobots. Did they come out? They sure did at 10 min left of the fucking explosion movie that never ends.
December 15, 2017
Listen, we all know what we're getting into with Michael Bay's name strapped to this movie, but instead of looking at the movie through those eyes, compare it to the rest of the series. The humans, less annoying than in the past, they have some level of complexity to them that gives them more depth that can be expanded on in the future. there is actually character development, and the writing has its moments. The women actually do contribute, they aren't all just for sex appeal (key word is "all"). The movie really should be split into two, or at least have the first half been incorporated into the previous series, but this installment is a step in the right direction for Transformers, and if this is the foundation for the future movies, then I look forward to Transformers 5
December 13, 2017
I had seen this movie with my dad but I missed some of the parts from it but it's okay. This movie is okay but it's not the best but I liked it and it was kind of good to me.
November 24, 2017
This film is unequaled by any other.
November 21, 2017
Once again, trash and cliche storyline. There's not much else to be said except, great CGI!
November 20, 2017
Ahhh where to start. I usually don't write reviews. But yesterday's disappointment in watching this had to be expressed either through punching an anvil, or writing this review. But i need my hands this week so I'm going to write a review.

I am a fan of transformers, i loved the cartoon series and the first and second blockbuster hit. I saw quite a substantial amount of plot holes in the third installation and I knew it was going to go downhill from there. I had hopes that the age of extinction would clear some of the plot holes i saw from the dark of the moon, and after seeing the movie trailers I became somewhat excited and felt all warm inside.

I brought my two boys with me, bought some overpriced pop-corns and sugar drinks to stimulate my mind so that my brain could focus and absorb the new concept of the story, hoping to satisfy my hunger for unanswered questions that left my joy decimated at the last series.

I like Walhberg during action scenes, but not when he starts making lame dialogues. And those lame dialogues deviate from being a bit funny, to just stab me in my thighs, depending on who wrote the script. Lame dialogues pervaded the whole friggen movie!

There are countless, pointless, perpetually boring ass things that prevented the story, or just the movie as a whole from being appreciated. The characters were annoying, namely Lucas, Tessa and that friggen Shane who is nothing but a disrespectful little sh*t to Walhberg and exhibited this attitude throughout until third quarter of the movie. I'm a dad alright, and I just wanted to punch him the f**k out! And Walhberg should've done the same, what the hell? Few good actors, but the characters were weak.

Every time i thought that the movie was trying to make people laugh, I look around the entire cinema and see people staring at the screen, not laughing. I look at my boys and they're not laughing, and they're the type that laugh at anything that moves. I'm not laughing because my mind is struggling trying to keep that hope alive while at the same time enduring the thought of another ominous outcome, "when is this going to end?", "stop doing stupid things", "stop trying to make me laugh", "just stop talking", "OMG what am I doing here?"

I finish the giant popcorn and my big tub of sugar drink after an hour. I thought that if i just go out for a smoke, maybe i'll be able to appreciate the rest of the movie because my mind will be refreshed. I'll take my time, maybe say hi to that nice ticket collector and make small talk. That's 10 minutes to recuperate. It couldn't be that bad.

I get back to my seat. Nothing changes...

Every new main event that was introduced in the movie was not properly explained in the end. In other words, it just came out of nowhere and went nowhere. This just piled up leaving me with more and more questions. It seems as if plots were inserted in holes and the viewer was left to create his own resolution of it. The story is incongruently incoherent.

Why after all this time, can't Bumblebee talk? With all the autonomous robotic, high alien-technologically advanced race systems that are available that they can't rectify his voice box?? I wanted to see more of the dinobots. And why were they in the... never mind, no spoilers.

Yes most of the action scenes were great, but come on, don't make it lame by adding something that doesn't belong there, like another horrific comment, phrase or something that isn't funny. It destroys the entertainment. In fact, just don't even talk during the action scenes please!

Graphics are awesome. That's the only thing I appreciate.

So unfortunately i left disappointed once again. More than disappointed, irritated and frustrated. I asked my boys what they thought, they said "ummm... awesome?" as if that definition has lost it's meaning and they weren't entirely sure how to make me feel better. I wanted to research on the writers and directors who created this movie to try and figure out how they defiled a great science fiction theme, but I couldn't give a cross-bun anymore. I'll let it roll this time. I feeling a bit better now.

In the end i figure this movie suits those who don't care too much about story lines and great characters and dialogues. Mainly those who like to see giant robots fight. but the movie is rated for matured audiences and robot fights only took place during half the movie. So then I question what are the creators of this film trying to achieve? Use the name for profit and create something primarily for entertainment purposes. But today's audience are rational thinkers who want more than just action scenes and loud explosions. So..Set five years after Dark of the Moon, Transformers: Age of Extinction sets out to continue the franchise, taking a new path in more than one way. Lots of explosions, action scenes and robots wrecking cities up and we've got ourselves the fourth one.

To begin with, there were a lot of weak points, the biggest challenge being the fact that the entire human cast was replaced. I felt that Wahlberg and Tucci did a good job, but the rest of them were terrible. A lot of it has to do with writing: the characters were shallow and didn't have any depth at all. At a running time of 2h45min you think it would be enough to flesh them out but no. Wahlberg's daughter just yells "Dad!" and screams her entire screen time. Her boyfriend is shoehorned in just to complete the clumsy romance but in the end is just a tool to move the plot. Sophia Myles, amongst others, is completely wasted. The fact that Bay chose to concentrate on the humans again, and failed with it again, speaks volumes.

It was, however, good to see how Cade (Wahlberg) first comes across Optimus Prime and being a mechanic/inventor, revitalizes the beaten leader. The focus also shifted from Bumblebee to Prime as the main link to the protagonist, but oddly it was never explained why Bee left Sam in the first place, being his most loyal protector.

Now, speaking of techs in the film, there was a lot of slow-mo. A lot. And it really took away from the action. It is okay to employ slow-mo sometimes, for example when the robots are transforming, but not at every single shot. Moreover, the transformings themselves were weaker than in the previous installments. I mean, in the first one when Starscream transformed into a plane in the middle of the flight or they were fighting/transforming in the narrow street, or in DotM during the fights, this depth was lacking in AoE. Also the fights weren't as good compared to the gigantic robot battles or human black ops tactics in previous films. Lastly, as cheesy as it may sound Optimus Prime riding Grimlock was pretty awesome. Even if Grimlock was in the movie for about ten whole minutes. And Lockdown the bounty hunter as the main villain was also done nicely.

The film is way too long, the beginning stretches a lot, the middle even more, the finale as well. We are treated to a lot of badly written human characters who just slow the movie down and stretch. Even the endless explosions got tiring (boom, boom, boom and slow-mo all the time, why oh why?). But honestly, going in I thought this would be loads worse. In the end though, not as good as the first or the third, but still better than the second (not that this should count for anything as that was plain awful). Altogether, too long, too stretchy, way too much slow-mo, too shallow characters, some decent fights and action, Prime riding Gon something so incredibly awful as this film. I see most films at home but I saw this one in the theatre with my stepson who really wanted to see this. For me it ended up even way below my expectations, which were already very low. Note: I really liked the first one. I don't dislike Bay (even liked Pearl Harbor and Armageddon and Bad Boys II), but this is just simply not very good. It's plain awful actually. Even my 11 yr old stepson thought it was boring.... need I say more...? It doesn't go anywhere, you don't care at all what happens to the characters, human or alien and there is literally never any sense of urgency or peril for anyone involved. Please let another director have a shot at this franchise and let Bay direct another The Rock. And why Spielberg is executive-producing this turd of a movie is beyond me. Waste of time for everyone involved, only good thing is it's making a ton of money for Paramount. Lets just hope they invest in something with more substance.
November 19, 2017
better than revenge of the Fallen with a slightly better story but really ruled when the dinobots came out
*Update: A film for the bored and immoral, this film adds no charm or good storytelling to the disgustingly flawed Transformers franchise.
½ November 17, 2017
I like this and it's good and awesome but there is one thing age of extinction was lacking and it was long. The film is a long film. At first I thought film was close to the end but it wasn't that way this one an awesome film but it was too long. Overall it is my other favourite in the franchise and now that I watch all four of the films, I am so pump and ready to watch the last knight. Overall I love these Fucking films best sci-fi action films ever. well done bay.
November 16, 2017
Calling all Autobots because Transformers: Age of Extinction, is the bomb and they are coming to safe and destroy the universe in reaL D)) 3D and IMAX 3D :)
November 14, 2017
"Transformers: Age of Extinction" is a worthless pile of junk. Somehow, director Michael Bay (Transformers trilogy) has done the impossible by making the worst Transformers film to date.

Some know him as the anti-Christ of the film industry, while others simply know him as Michael Bay. With the last two disastrous Transformers films in his rear view mirror, Bay scraps the old cast to start over with a "fresh" new take on the series, or maybe a re-hash of old material? In the end, Bay somehow ends up making the worst and most worthless Transformers film yet. Now, before I continue any further let me assure you that I am not a Bay hater (strongly dislike sounds better) and I did enjoy the first Transformers (2007) film. Bay is a talented director when it comes to special effects. His films are and have always been packed with tons of spectacular action scenes and top-notch special effects.

I have seen potential in him, but sadly as a whole his directing lacks in very keen areas for filmmaking. The first Transformers film showed great potential for a series. Yes, it did have a rather silly plot but Bay had fun with this film. The film was well-paced and the characters were likeable. Bay did not go overboard with his action and special effects like in his previous films. This was all contained for the last battle scene, which was shot in a rather fine form. It made you eager for the sequel. That is, until 2009 rolled around. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was not only a huge disappointment but also a disgrace of a film. Bay unfortunately went overboard with this film. It was a noisy, under-plotted, piece of garbage with bloated action scenes. It also lacked any human emotion that came before it. And if you had your fingers crossed for the third film to be any better ... it wasn't. It was just the same-old-same-old. Bay forgot to make a movie and instead he made a bunch of messy and explosive action scenes.

It's been four years since the events of the third film that left Chicago devastated. But instead of the Autobots (good) fighting the Decepticons (bad) both are being hunted down by humans and are on the verge of extinction ... hint the title. The government is doing this to create their own race of Transformers to help them achieve global domination. I guess that is kind of cool with Transformers fighting clone Transformers. But this is really just a cheap excuse for Bay to start the whole process over again and give us an entire new series of the same-old-same-old. Please kill me now before I go any further. So instead of another wacky adventure with Sam Witwicky (from Shia LaBeouf) we get Texas-born Cade Yeager (Mark Wahlberg). Yeager is a robotic inventor who buys old trucks and coincidentally ends up buying a beat-up Optimus Prime. How? Good question, I am still trying to figure that one out. As for the acting, there's not much.

Even Wahlberg, who just gave a powerful performance in last winter's Lone Survivor, looks dull and out of place here. The only actor worth mentioning in this film is Stanley Tucci. He plays Joshua Joyce, the head of Kinetic Sciences Institute (KSI), who has isolated a metal called "Transformium" that can mutate anything. Tucci's role starts out great as the baddie but toward the end he turns into a laughable goofball. But at least Tucci had fun with it, while everyone else looked dumbfounded. There's no Megan Fox and no Rosie Huntington-Whiteley for Bay's camera-happy lens this time around, so we get a new Bay-girl added to the film, Nicola Peltz as Tessa, Yeager's 17-year-old daughter. Peltz is of course shown with over-long camera shots of her "hot" body just like Fox and Huntington-Whiteley were. Bay's degradation toward women on the big screen is disgusting.

Alright, back to the film, basically from there the film turns into an exhaustive, self-absorbing, action-driven mess. Bay's camera work is messy, while the action scenes are tedious instead of spectacular, and when that two-and-a-half-hour mark comes around the damn thing refuses to end. Bay shows no mercy in this film ... it was a 165 minutes too long. Nothing in this film was memorable, nor was it enjoyable. Bay thinks that great special effects and blowing up stuff make a movie, but when there is no character development, a re-hash plot, terrible dialogue, wooden acting and bloated action scenes, how much better could it get? Really? Yes, I know it's a Transformers film so this is what I should expect, right? Wrong, this is probably one of the worst excuses I have heard in a long time.

There are plenty of action films that are both fun and smart. Films like, The Dark Knight trilogy, The Avengers series, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, Skyfall, The Bourne trilogy, Pacific Rim, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Die Hard, The Matrix, Fast Five, Terminator 1 and 2 and the Indiana Jones trilogy. I could keep going on but I'm sure you get the picture. All of these films have incorporated action and thrills, while also being smart. The last three Transformers films has done none of this. Burn me at the stake but I have about had it with these brain-dead action films. They're not fun and they wear you down. My eyes burned every time I saw an over-the-top Bay explosion on the screen. I know Bay should not take all the blame because scriptwriter Ehren Kruger (Transformers trilogy) is just as much to blame with his cheesy dialogue and thinly written scripts. The two of them together make one hell of a headache.

I wish Paramount would give another director and writer a chance at this series. I also hope that Transformers fans will finally realize they deserve much better for their beloved metal heroes. If you like brain-dead films with great special effects then this is the film for you. If you are a bit more educated and want something more in a film then my advice is to stay far away from this series for now. Maybe even re-watch the he '80s cartoon over-and-over again hoping for something more in the near future. But for now we are stuck with Mr. Bay's Transformers and in the end I wished those %$^&%!!# metal heads would have stayed extinct.
½ November 11, 2017
I'm a bit of a Movie Masochist, this is why I? watched the whole thing. It's a Painfully stupid, hot meld of fireworks, cgi, slow motion, bad acting, worse directing.
½ November 6, 2017
This is a BAD movie! The only good things are Lockdown, and SOME of the effects.