Transformers: Age of Extinction - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Transformers: Age of Extinction Reviews

½ October 21, 2017
A sad reflection on today's society; Michael Bay continuously makes atrociously horrific trash, and humanity keeps paying him hard earned money for more; the lunacy of the human race is astonishing...
October 16, 2017
It?s definitely not the worst as most people say. It has some decent action and the effects still look great. Grim lock and the Dinobots were awesome and Lockdown was a great villain. However it is still the same crap we have been seeing for the past 3 times. Not terrible but not good either
½ October 10, 2017
My expectations were already low, but this failed to meet even those.
October 6, 2017
I loved the mixture of human/alien storytelling in this film much like the others. I think it changes the pace and adds more adventure to the movie. The special effects are incredible and Optimus prime can give one hell of a speech!

He's so epic in this movie and they really did his character Justice.

How else would they make a transformers movie which takes place on earth? It can't be all about the robots. These movies are so fun to watch I overlook the flaws they have and I'm so happy people keep on watching them because they will always pump out more. 5/5
October 5, 2017
This film may not as disastrous as the 3rd film (since it does release some amazing merchandising and nicely detailed vehicles) but Age Of Extinction ended up as a dull sequel with a confusing plot, repetitive action scenes, uncomfortably obnoxious underage sexual innuendoes and actors that take so much the films time doing absolutely nothing. huh, I think AniMat said it best here, "In this modern age of cinema franchises & sequels are starting to become a lot more common than finding something that's original, so much so it's also a bit of a problem when studios are making sequels to films that no one demanded to have a sequel in the first place". I understand why Michael Bay wanted to bring thought & originality in the 1st movie (but actually make it good) but is it hard to look at the films poster to tell me what it's about?.
September 30, 2017
Fooled again! The film begins and you soon realise...you're actually enjoying this, maybe this instalment will be different! Maybe it will be better! And then the film just goes on and on and on until you've forgotten anything that you enjoyed about it because you're too busy worrying if it is actually ever going to end. I like Michael Bay, but unless a different director makes Transformers 5...I won't be seeing it. Although I probably said that about the last one...
½ September 29, 2017
Where is the transforming? It's called Transformers. We see Transformers, but where is the Transforming action? We got it in the first one and it stopped! All we get is a bad plot, no worthy action and nothing funny anymore.
September 26, 2017
A bad stupid awful film that's garbage
It didn't poop at the box office darn wish it did
September 22, 2017
The visual effects are so awesome. The battle scenes are good. The worst parts are TJ miller's character dies, Kelsey Grammer's Character killed by Optimus prime, Romeo and Juliet law, the non-robot human scenes, product placement, Optimus prime's racist lines. Screw you ehren Kruger
September 17, 2017
La 4ta Parte de Transformers, muy buena 7/10
½ August 21, 2017
Oh god their gonna make another one?!
½ August 21, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Well, Greg, we just survived another Transformers movie.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Let s find out if any of the heroes underwent a transformation...

SCOTT: The movie begins with scientists discovering that Transformers killed all life on earth 65 million years ago. We also learn that five years ago, Transformers were narrowly defeated in the Battle of Chicago , which left Transformer debris and technology scattered over North America. Then we meet Texas inventor Cade Yeager (Mark Wahlberg), his beautiful teenage daughter Tessa (Nicola Peltz), and his friend Lucas (T.J. Miller). Cade dreams of using abandoned Transformer technology to create inventions that will make his family rich. Meanwhile, his home is being foreclosed, and his daughter is mad at him for being irresponsible and overprotective.

GREG: Lucas, unbeknownst to Yeager, has called the Feds because the Transformer they found is Optimus Prime who has a bounty on his head. The CIA is out to destroy all Transformers (both the good Autobots and the evil Decepticons) in favor of a new robotic technology built by the company KSI (assisted by galactic bounty hunter Lockdown). The CIA operatives descend on Yeager s Texas farm and he, his daughter, and her boyfriend Shane (Jack Reynor) are on the run with Optimus Prime and what is left of the Autobots.

SCOTT: Greg, Age of Extinction puts the Stink in Extinction. This is easily among the worst movies of 2014. There are so many problems with the film that I don t even know where to begin. Let s start with the obvious: Director Michael Bay clearly worships at the altar of the More is Better philosophy of movie-making. It s the idea that more action, more chase scenes, and longer movies are better. The word that comes to mind to describe this mess rhymes with cluster-truck . And yes, we see a lot of trucks in the movie, because of course more is better. For me, watching this movie was an endurance contest, with millions of my brain cells, already damaged by watching past bad movies, fighting for survival. I m shocked that Mark Wahlberg agreed to participate in this mess -- he s proven himself to be a skilled actor capable of attracting far better movie roles. In Transformers: Age of Extinction, Wahlberg is reduced to uttering one hackneyed and predictable line after another. For 160 minutes, he s either being chased by Transformers or protecting his daughter from danger. I felt sorry for him.

GREG: I feel your pain, Scott. I was also struggling throughout the nearly 3-hour film to reconcile the multiple plot lines (father/daughter/boyfriend, CIA/alien/Transformer, entrepreneur/inventor, Autobot/alien/Decepticon) with only limited success. If it is any consolation, this is probably the best of the Transformers movies with the addition of Wahlberg over troublesome actor Shia LaBeouf. I ve sat through all four of these films and it s clear they appeal to a very specific audience. The film is too intense for smaller children and a bit too childish for grown adults. It hits its sweet-spot with 13-25 year-old boys and fans of the original Transformers show. It must be a fairly big demographic because over this weekend alone, Transformers brought in about $100 million. It is also on-target to be the first movie to garner $1 Billion in worldwide revenues. There s no doubt that Michael Bay knew what he was doing with this film. Whether you like the film or not, it reaches its audience and in a big way.

SCOTT: The money this movie will make pains me; it is just so undeserving. Never has a major movie relied on so many tiresome set-ups and situations. There is the damsel in distress, shown in full shameless fashion about 6 dozen times, as poor Tessa needs either her dad or her boyfriend to save her repeatedly. There is the overused idea of government higher-ups conspiring against us all and sticking it to the little guys. There is a little Jar Jar Binks character whose main role is to annoy us even further. There is a 30-second speech that Yeager gives to a bad guy, Joshua Joyce (Stanley Tucci), a speech that miraculously converts Joyce to the good guys side. Let s examine the quality of the hero s journey. To me, this film appears to feature a couple of group ensemble heroes: The Yeagers are a family unit and the Transformer team, led by Optimus Prime, is a police/military unit. You could say that Yeagers character does evolve, as his hatred for Mary s boyfriend eventually turns to admiration. This change, of course, is painfully predictable and hardly convincing. Several basic elements of the hero s journey are here, although they lack depth or interest.

GREG: The lead heroes are Yeager and Optimus Prime. Prime is feeling let down by the human race as he came to Earth to save us from the evil Decepticons. Now, he is hunted by humans and he has lost the urge to keep humans safe from their own stupidity. He undergoes a transformation as Yeager pleads with him to help his family and all of mankind. Admittedly, this is a pretty weak story arc. Still it is stronger than what we ve been fed in previous incarnations of the Transformers cinematic universe. The villains aren t much better. We are treated to a good performance by Kelsey Grammer (who, by the way, also appears in Think Like a Man, Too released last week). Grammer s character is a typical bad guy government bureaucrat who is running the CIA. Like other villains of this type, we don t get much backstory, only that he is evil. He stereotypically does not get his hands dirty and enlists henchmen to perform his evil-do. And on the Transformer side of the aisle, there is the evil Lockdown who is an intergalactic bounty hunter. He is also of the pure-evil cast and offers no real counterpoint to Optimus Prime except for an extended robot battle in the climax.

SCOTT: I m fascinated by the way movies portray the head villain. Grammer s character, Harold Attinger, plays a stereotypical head mastermind who rarely gets his hands dirty and spends most of his time telling his henchmen what to do. We ve seen this villainous structure in many other movies. For some reason, filmmakers have decided that while the main hero is going to take bullets, fall from buildings, and get physically battered, the main villain is a central command figure who only strains himself making all those tough evil decisions. One other word about the Transformers themselves. They are imposing mechanical beasts that serve as yet another example of the movie industry s fetish for size, especially when it comes to villains. How many behemoths have we seen in the movies this past couple of years? I was struck by the shape of these manly, macho mechanical beasts -- they sport massive biceps and pecs and teeny, tiny, almost Barbie Doll waists. Do robots really need to show bulging muscles to do their dirty work?

GREG: Scott, you called Transformers the worst movie of the year. You may have forgotten the travesty and complete waste of time that was Transcendence. Or the painfully unfunny Ride Along. Or completely misguided Labor Day. Still, I have to admit Transformers: Age of Extinction certainly does rate down there with them. For an excruciatingly long overdose of robotic chaos I give this film 2 out of 5 Reels. The heroes are very plain-brown-wrapper and do not stretch our imaginations very far. Wahlberg does a good job of playing the father-who-cares and Optimus Prime transforms a bit too. I give them just 2 out of 5 Heroes. There is no new ground with the villains in this story. The Stanley Tucci character is a Steve Jobs inspired head of corporation who is turned from evil to good. Grammer s character is right out of the evil government playbook. And Lockdown was not even entertaining. I give these poor sketches of characters just 1 out of 5 Villains. Movie: Villains: Heroes:

SCOTT: Greg, you began this review by pondering whether there was a transformation in the movie. Yes, this is a Transformers movie and so of course there were plenty of transforming events. Chief among them was my transformation from a happy man at the start of the film to a bitter curmudgeon who felt robbed of two and a half hours of his life at the end. A more apt name for this movie is Skunkformers or Trashformers. This movie is borderline Hall of Shame material and barely manages 1 Reel out of 5. The heroes were wafer-thin, predictable, and uninteresting. Wait, I take that back. There is one interesting character, Lucas Flannery, but he s killed off early in the film. His quick exit was a portend of things to come. There are elements of the hero journey in this film but they are completely overwhelmed by the relentless onslaught of senseless chase scenes, explosions, and CGI chaos. Your rating of 2 Heroes out of 5 seems about right. The villains were familiar retreads of villains we ve seen a thousand times before. I thought Kelsey Grammer did a nice job in his role, but he and Wahlberg were both good actors trapped in a cinematic mess. I ll agree with you that 1 Villain out of 5 is an accurate rating here. Movie: Villains: Heroes:
½ August 18, 2017
I've never been the kind of guy to critic a transformers movie or any Michael Bay films for that matter but good gosh this was awful. This
one was the hardest to try to swallow, choke on, and eventually cough up onto the floor.
August 17, 2017
Calling all Autobots because Transformers: Age of Extinction, is the bomb and they are coming to safe and destroy the universe in reaL D)) 3D and IMAX 3D :)
August 11, 2017
Though the cinematography overall wasn't very pleasing, the wonderful design, plot, and meaning were enough to prove that this film is the best fourth installment you will ever find.
August 6, 2017
Such a huge disappointment, waiting 3 years for nothing.
½ August 5, 2017
Age of Extinction is, without a doubt, the worst Transformers movie so far. This bloated 2 hours and 45 minutes movie is filled with noise, action, explosions, and CGI, but the plot and characters are pretty much non-existent.

Like previous Transformers movies, they focus too much on the human characters, which would be fine if any of them were interesting. Apart from returning characters (Optimus Prime and Bumblebee), none of the new Transformers are particularly memorable.

With an entirely new cast, you would think Michael Bay and writer Ehren Kruger (who wrote the previous two Transformers movies) would actually come up with something new and different. Nope! The same plot from all the previous Transformers movies gets reused, with many action scenes, explosions and car chases working its way into the plot.

What makes this the worst Transformers movie is that every line of dialogue are just bad attempts at humour, and the movie never seems to end. Action scenes would go on for about 5-6 scenes too long, especially the "third act" action scene, which actually started in the middle of the second act. I checked the time on my phone when I thought the movie was in the third act, but the movie was still in the second act as it went on for another HOUR, and the final hour was basically one boring, never ending action scene.

The performances were mediocre at best. Mark Wahlberg was watchable, and at least he wasn't given any silly dialogues. Unfortunately, some of that went to Stanley Tucci, who was the unfunny comic relief in the second half of his scenes.

Michael Bay said Revenge of the Fallen was "crap", but he put together a film that's pretty much identical to it, but worse. As long as Michael Bay continues to direct Transformers, the potential of a good Transformers movie (which I saw in the first film) will cease to exist.
August 3, 2017
This is my least favorite Transformers movieverse installment, OUT OF ALL OF THEM!!! Even though the new Autobots Drift, Crosshairs and Hound were surprisingly enjoyable, and I guess Lockdown was a pretty cool character, the rest of the movie of a complete waste of time! The Dinobots (except, maybe Grimlock) LITTERALY don't do ANYTHING in the entire movie, except just being there like Jolt in ROTF, Galvatron is like a mindless zombie now, Optimus has probably by far, the worst designs EVER (which is really insulting to how much I love this character), and Bumblebee has gone from my favorite Autobots to one of the most despised ones. In fact, WHAT IS EVEN THE PLOT OF THE WHOLE FREAKING MOVIE!?!?!? ROTF and DOTM at least had their plots, here we are just watching the movie and yet I don't even know what the movie is going to be about. I guess the plot was about humans killing Autobots, but y'know what!? SCREW YOU BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! >:(
August 2, 2017
Action packed and funny
½ July 31, 2017
is half good but the humans come out more than the poor transformers and the dinobots come out in the last of the movie