Treading Water Reviews

• Jan 02, 2016

A film with solid acting and writing that delves in the generational difficulties with being gay in modern Catholic New England family. However, the film comes to a boil just before it ends, leaving you worst off then when you began

• Sep 13, 2012

Another bad lesbian film. I can see what Himmel was going for (languid, naturalistic, melancholy), but sheer technical ineptitude proves to be her undoing. Maybe if it wasn't so ugly, didn't sound so awful, maybe if the editing wasn't so lacklustre and the actors so terrible. Yeah maybe then you'd have a movie I could watch.

• Mar 25, 2012

it felt like and probably was a straight to video release. wasn't bad, but kinda 'typical'. that casey character'd get to you for being whiniy irritating afterawhile but the actress who played alex did a good job.

• Dec 26, 2009

While this is not the best lesbian movie I have seen, it most certainly is not the worst. It's a slice out the lives of these characters, and the bigotry that comes from Casey's mother.Unfortunately I also know a thing or two about judgmental parents (thankfully, Casey only had her mother to deal with, but what a hateful woman!), and the illusions and lies one has to maintain in order to maintain a relationship with the family. This all struck me as very real. What was refreshing, though, was that there was no drama surrounding the very existence of the main characters' relationship - they weren't just starting, neither of them was straight, they didn't break up or defect. They had a stable, loving relationship which, like most relationships, has stresses and strains to deal with. How nice, finally! And even in the sex scenes, the director saw no need to titillate the audience - again, just tender, real loving. Bravo!

• Apr 12, 2009

i love this movie so much.

i love this movie so much.

• Apr 11, 2009

There is some believable tenderness between the two leads, but most of the acting is dire. The writing (Julia Hollinger) is flat and cliched, the editing is poor.

• Dec 31, 2008

Very low budget gay film, that is so much better than most of the very low budget gay films out there. Extra half star for being what it is!

• Oct 27, 2008

Realiste mais c'est a peu près tout !

Realiste mais c'est a peu près tout !

• Sep 22, 2008

Slow and boring. What's with all the fades to black? Poor script....Not really worth your time.

• Jul 10, 2008

It is another "gay family problems" movie--but fun to watch.

It is another "gay family problems" movie--but fun to watch.