True Women Reviews

• Nov 15, 2018

Great mini series based on a true event. Acting was outstanding and storyline although a sad period in history for baby reasons it was well acted, directed and told

• Nov 24, 2017

Empowering! I bought the dvd yesterday,

Empowering! I bought the dvd yesterday,

• Oct 08, 2014

"True Women" is really impressive for a miniseries. The acting of Dana Delany alone makes the three hours worthwhile. She breathes life into Sara McClure, the strong-willed redhead that keeps her family strong throughout the many trials and heartaches of this story. The script, based on the novel of the same name by Janice Woods Windle, is a clever web that intertwines three women's lives around five decades of southern US history. The characters are very well written as each possesses different beliefs and backgrounds that create conflict at times and unite them at other times. I cannot say enough about the intelligent design behind the childhood friendship, slave ownership, and Native American blood. From the Texas Revolution to the Civil War and Reconstruction, every event is made more significant through these characters' attributes. Everything is introduced early on with its significance being revealed far into the story. The acting is very effective, creating strong emotions of anger toward Native Americans at some points, northerners at other points, and even our own government. Annabeth Gish plays Euphemia with a lot of heart and, while this is Angelina Jolie's best role (see "Girl, Interrupted" if you want to know what she really can do), she does a good job of portraying the bratty and mature sides of Georgia. The downfall of this movie is its final few scenes. I know that the filmmakers can't exactly change the ending of the book, but there are a few overly-cheesy, not-believable moments that take away from the realism that makes this miniseries so good. "True Women" exceeded my expectations. It has amazing acting, a very poignant story, and several moments that will make you sit back and say "Wow, THAT is a true woman."

• Dec 28, 2012

loved this movie, it really did show how strong women can be and are, Dana Delany was really the backbone of this movie second from her was Tina Majorino, and Annabeth Gish. It was a long movie but was worth every minute of it..

• Aug 16, 2012

I love watching this and i dont like when lasha dies

I love watching this and i dont like when lasha dies

• Apr 30, 2012

One of my favorites. It was very well done and made you laugh but also cry. The acting was amazing and the story line was one of the best of seen and based on a true story is always good :D

• Dec 08, 2011

I saw this on TV and missed the first half, but the part I did catch was amazing. Powerful, heartfelt performances with a great historical context.

• Jun 28, 2011

Watched this with my grandpa, wouldn't have watched it otherwise, but it was good.

• Jun 17, 2011

A young Angelina Jolie as a half breed Southern Belle ~ Delicious

A young Angelina Jolie as a half breed Southern Belle ~ Delicious

• Dec 13, 2010

A real feminist movie, or at least this is what I got while watching the movie. "True Women" is set in Texas and reminded me of "Gone With the Wind", but it explores other sides of the late XIX century such as women not being able to vote and trying to get on with their lives while their husbands were busy fighting war or working, and slavery. Pretty great values for such a small, forgotten movie but that completely makes the movie to me. To me this really was a surprising, profound story about three generations and how times do always change. "True Women" is not perfect, but it kindly mixes a story that feels real with many great human values such as love, kids, and rights. I ended up watching it just because Angelina Jolie was in it, but I found lots more than what I expected.