Under the Rainbow Reviews

• Nov 25, 2016

Pretty funny and dumb.

Pretty funny and dumb.

• Aug 16, 2014

where can I buy this movie?

where can I buy this movie?

• May 01, 2014

After the success of The Buddy Holly Story (1978), director Steve Rash and producer Fred Bauer reunited for this comedic caper which Bauer had come up with the idea for and worked on with a few different writers. The final result was a comedy that went well over-budget, and it's absolutely insane and the sort of film you'd never get away with now, however it's not as bad as what it's made out to be. In 1938, a bunch of guests descend on the Culver Hotel in California, including FBI agent Bruce Thorpe (Chevy Chase) who is assigned to protect an Austrian royal duke (Joseph Maher) and his Duchess wife (Eve Arden). Meanwhile, there's studio casting associate Annie Clark (Carrie Fisher) who has been assigned to look after 150 midget actors who are to play the Munchkins in The Wizard of Oz. However, midget Nazi agent Otto Kriegling (Billy Barty) is sent to assassinate the Duke, but he ends up getting caught up with the antics of the midgets. Plus a group of Japanese tourists and Kansas midget Rollo Sweet (Cork Hubbert) get caught up in it all too. The film has been called everything from "a complete failure" to "one of the worst films ever", and that was just from it's cast. It is a one of a kind film, and you can see why it flopped as it has no heart, it's just set-up after set-up with the midgets behaving badly. Producer Bauer never worked again, Rash however was more lucky.

• Mar 02, 2014

An absolute atrocity of a film, basically a film about the dwarves coming to Hollywood for the 1938 Wizard of Oz. Written by 6 people I can't imagine how they could go so wrong. Filled with ridiculous scenes & dialogue it's a wonder it was released. Both Chevy Chase & Carrie Fisher both agree it's the worst film they have ever worked on. It's dreadfully unfunny & I'm aiming never to see it again.

• Jun 29, 2013

Wow. The constant barrage of old-timey racist and midget jokes and stereotypes might be somewhat endearing if it wasn't for the dead dogs. I think I found my limit. Although everything turns out OK in the end, so I guess it isn't that bad. (?) Overall if I could put a one line review on the cover of the home release of the movie, it would be "More entertaining than a Quentin Tarantino movie."

• Feb 03, 2013

I loved this. Saw it a theater in Chicago when i was a kid.

I loved this. Saw it a theater in Chicago when i was a kid.

• Jan 07, 2013

This was unbearable and I couldn't make it through. And I thought the combination of Chevy Chase and cast of little people would be decent.

• Dec 12, 2012

A Magnificent Comedy of Errors--Camp Classic!!

A Magnificent Comedy of Errors--Camp Classic!!

• Feb 18, 2012

I remember liking this, as a child.

I remember liking this, as a child.

• Dec 16, 2011

saw this when i was a kid, it was awesome, still is, chevy is great to watch, and so is carrie, and the cast of characters, in this film, its a classic,