Reviews

• Apr 28, 2016

Snappy by-the-numbers police procedural with William Holden as the head railroad cop at Union Station (which may or may not be in Chicago) who has to deal with a kidnapping case. Director Rudolph Mate shoots this as a noir but the tone is light not dark even if the kidnapper seems especially brutal and the cops are not above ignoring their prisoners' rights. Perhaps Police Chief Barry Fitzgerald with his Irish charm (turned up strong) softens the edge or maybe Holden's aw shucks attempts at romancing the key witness (Nancy Olson) divert our attention from the poor blind girl who is stuck down in the tunnel. At any rate, the result is an enjoyable thriller but not much more.

• Nov 29, 2015

An excellent film-noir with one of my favourite classic actors, William Holden. The film moves along nicely and is quite entertaining for classic cinema lovers. Check it out!

• Mar 29, 2015

Tense little contained drama that falls prey to the conventions of the era. But there are some cool locations to break up the standard tale.

• Jan 03, 2015

Not a bad little Film Noir with an early starring role for William Holden playing a tough railway cop who goes up against a viscous kidnapper played by Lyle Bettger. The film is set in the environs of Chicago's massive Union Station where the kidnapper and his accomplices hope to pick up their ransom despite the efforts of depot security and the city police. Like many pictures in this film cycle, there is a cynical outlook that moves beyond the simple apprehension of the criminals. The end sees Holden pursuing Bettger through the electrified tunnels under Union Station where the kidnap victim (a blind heiress) has been left.

• Jun 28, 2013

Solid race against time crime investigation that just about has the right pace.

Solid race against time crime investigation that just about has the right pace.

• Jun 17, 2013

An exciting kidnapping story despite the routine plot

An exciting kidnapping story despite the routine plot

• May 15, 2013

A friend picked this out last night to watch, after he was recommended it. I can not say I liked it. Even for a sleek 1 hour 20 minutes, it seemed a lot longer than it was. This is a 1950's equivalent of a film like "Phone Booth" or "Man on a Ledge"-- those real-time thrillers that have all but 2-3 different locations. So much of it was just comical, as is the basis with a lot of older movies that took themselves too seriously at the time. My favorite part-- the cattle stampede, sped up to jolty-rocky fashion, although you can initially tell they were barely trotting along! And the end-- IT JUST ENDS!!! Simple as that... It was hard for me to get through really.

• Mar 21, 2013

The Psycho/Phantom of Union Station--Textbook kidnap-plot and YES the kidnap victim really is quite annoying!!

• Bruce B Super Reviewer
    Mar 11, 2013

Watched this one on Netflix Stream, a awesome movie about a kidnapping. Supposed to be on Long Island, Had towns Westhampton, Freeport, Riverview, gave the impression of NYC crime, whole film was actually made in California. This is awesome film noir at its best, a blind girl is kidnapped and a ransom must be made. Will keep you on the edge of your seat. 5 stars. 3-10-13

• Dec 17, 2012

Exciting thriller set in LA, about a train station policeman named Lt. Willie Calhoun (super performance by William Holden) chasing down a ruthless kidnapper. The bad guy has taken the blind daughter of a millionaire and holds her for ransom. The kidnapping is seen by the rich man's secretary (a solid Nancy Olson). Calhoun swears that he will find the girl and put the kidnapper down, and everyone believes him because Calhoun is one hell of a cop. A very short film at about 80 minutes long, but it is packed with riveting drama and some terrific action. Holden is top notch as the policeman, this being one of his best performances ever. And Lyle Bettger is memorable as bad guy Joe Beacon, the kind you love to hate. Union Station is one of those little films that not too many people have heard about, much less seen, but it is one terrific movie. One of my personal favorites. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marge Wrighter: Gonna send that kid home, aren't you, Joe? I mean after we collect. Joe Beacom: She'll go home...they ever fish her out of the river. Let's have the coffee, huh?