An Unreasonable Man Reviews

• Jul 02, 2018

This film is historically thorough and responsible. It presents a detailed and interesting history of Nader's consumer-protection activism in the 1960s-1970s, which of course has been overshadowed by later events. What I most appreciate about the film, though, is how it handles the highly charged questions surrounding the effects of Nader's presidential runs in 2000 and 2004, e.g., Did Nader really "sabotage" the democrats, and did Nader sully his own legacy. The film has very intelligent and articulate people express their opinions on these questions, and you, the viewer, are allowed your own oponion. Whether you like Nader or not, this is a highly intelligent and provocative film.

• Feb 26, 2014

While it was interesting enough, the length seems to lend to the obvious slide from a review of the subterranean political and industrial workings to a glorified, one-sided praise of one man. It would have been greatly improved with the inclusion of opposition interviews, or at least some data on the questionable or even anything-but-saintly of a political attempt.

• Jan 22, 2013

An interesting enough view into this man's live and practices, but not interesting enough to vault it to "great doc" status.

• Sep 19, 2012

I never really knew a whole lot about Nader, except for the Corvair stuff, so this documentary was a real eye opener. I also appreciated how it revealed the challenges a third party candidate faces against the corporate parties. A lot of food for thought!

• May 27, 2012

this guy rocks!!! he should be a president.

this guy rocks!!! he should be a president.

• May 15, 2012

really, eye opening. well rounded view of an interesting guy.

really, eye opening. well rounded view of an interesting guy.

• Apr 05, 2012

An unabashed, uncut film that presents both sides of the argument for and against the controversial political figure known as Ralph Nader, a man who has championed causes for the greater well-being of man. Eye-opening stuff !

• Apr 04, 2012

This documentary on Ralph Nader is rich and enlightening. A fair portrait of a true American hero to some and the spoiler for the Democrats in the 2000 and 2004 elections for others. This film illuminates his devotion to his causes: consumer protection, fairness and equality, and corporate reform. Even if you disagree with his beliefs, after watching this documentary any rational person would at least respect his courage to take on corporations in order to create safety standards for automobiles (he was the pioneer who made seat belts and then airbags standard safety features) and stand for his values in the face of certain defeat in order to create a better America for tomorrow.

• Jan 27, 2012

Ralph Nader is fascinating and this documentary follows his poltical career which essentially started when he took on the auto industry regarding their safety regulations. The film follows Nader until the end of his 2004 presidential campaign. The documentary itself drags, very little of his personal life is explored, and I think the documentary could have done a bit better job in exploring his reasons for running to be president - by this I mean I think Nader had a personal bone to pick with the Democrats and by running for president he was sabatoging their efforts for the presidency. Fascinating man, he's relentless when it comes to his ideals which is probably what made him both a success and a failure - sorry to say but sometimes you gotta compromise.

• Jim H Super Reviewer
    Nov 27, 2011

This documentary tells the story of Ralph Nader's life in the run up to the 2000 Presidential election. This film is bookended by liberals, who are incensed at Nader, talking about how he ruined the country and tarnished his legacy. Then, the film details his legacy in length, highlighting <i>Unsafe at any Speed</i> and the several other initiatives Nader championed as a consumer advocate. But it eventually returns to a debate about Nader's decision to run in Florida, contrasting liberals' objections with Nader's defenses. I found myself liking Nader by the end of the film and dismissing his detractors. Nader's tenacity and moral commitment are things I admire, and the film does too. Overall, I think <i>An Unreasonable Man</i> is worth watching because there are reasons to respect this man no matter what his influence on American politics has been.