Vice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vice Reviews

½ January 18, 2019
Entertaining, fun to watch. Not especially accurate historically. This fact takes away from the impact of the film. Mr. McKay should stick to non-historical films.
Terrible movie. Too long
January 18, 2019
First off I want to say I'm not a fan of Bush or Cheney, but I do believe in being intellectually honest which this film is not, not even close.

I liked The Big Short made by the same writer/director. I actually saw it twice so I thought I'd give this film a shot. I really which I had skipped it.

This film is what is wrong with the country today. It is not historical or accurate at all, it is intentionally divisive. It is made by someone who clearly deeply hates Republican so much he made an intellectually dishonest movie for people filled with so much hate - which (you would have to ask their shrink) they have decided to focus on anything Republican . The premise of the film is that all Republican politicians are power hungry sociopaths - honestly I would more or less agree with that... but it makes it clear that ONLY Republican politicians are power hungry.
There is a scene where Carter moves into the White House and puts up solar panels, then 4 years later Reagan moves into the white house and on day 1 takes them all down. First in 1976 when Carter put them up, all the scientist were in agreement that the Earth was cooling and we were headed towards an ice age. Carter put up the solar panels because of issues with the Middle East and high gas prices... nothing to do with global warming/climate change - but the film implies that was the reason.
At the same point in the film, and I can't recall the exact quite from the narrator, but he say Reagan got elected because Republicans discovered a niche in going after the WHITE conservative vote. In 1980 when Reagan was running, 80% of the population was white, 11 percent black and 9 percent other races. To say that Republicans in 1980 "discovered" the white vote was ridiculous and intellectually dishonest.
Then here we have a movie that is about Dick Cheney yet there are many jabs at Trump in 2019... why? Even a photo of Trump holding piles of cash. Why? The movie is about Cheney.

This movie is for people who are drinking the Kool-aid from politicians, in this case the Democrats. This movie is pure propaganda to fire up the base for 2020. This is not a historical movie. Honestly I feel sorry for anyone who loved or liked this movie. Wake up!
I will close with repeating I am not a fan of Cheney or Bush. I'm a fan of good historical movies. This is not one.
½ January 18, 2019
If your liberal you will love it. Just remember, half truths are still half lies
½ January 18, 2019
Lacking in research, wit and intelligence. Wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a parody like Stalin's Death, which by contrast was brilliantly done, or a serious movie. Appears to be a low-brow political piece written by people who have no idea of history or desire to portray real facts.
½ January 18, 2019
It was an interesting biopic. It's a comedy? I didn't get that. It was laid out like Michael Moore wrote and directed it.
½ January 18, 2019
I have no idea why some reviews aren't sure. This film is absolutely terrific. If you liked Big Short, you will love this. A terrific cast and an engrossing story and a stunning lead performance.
January 18, 2019
I loved this. It's a typical Adam McKay film. Its looks like Big Short, Similar Soundtrack and at the sametime is a version of modern history. I learned a lot and its a funny and entertaining view of events.
½ January 18, 2019
Known for directing comedies like Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Step Brothers, and The Other Guys (just to name a few), Adam McKay has been taking a slight deviation from his old style. Having recently directed the acclaimed film The Big Short, his comedy met his drama and formed a mesh that a lot of viewers loved. Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of his previous film, so I was a little hesitant on Vice. With that said, Vice is surprisingly one of the best movies that 2018 had to offer. I love when biopics have the freedom of not taking itself too seriously. Yes, there are some very touchy subjects sprinkled throughout the course of this movie, but I had a blast watching it. Aside from awards shows, I don't hear many people talking about this movie, which is a shame, because it's fantastic.

Maybe I just wasn't all that invested in politics enough to know this story, but I found myself very surprised throughout the course of this movie, mainly due to the core focus on Dick Cheney. Vice follows Cheney's rise to power in a very quiet fashion. Having never once been elected President of the United States, his impact on the government was huge. Being an insider who went from bringing people coffee to pretty much running the show for George W. Bush during his Presidency, this story was ripe for exploration. George W. Bush felt obligated to run for President, which in turn made him need a knowledgeable and ambitious person to help him along the way. There are many ways this story could've fallen apart as a feature film, but due to the talent involved, Vice is one of the best of the year.

From Christian Bale delivering a stellar, dedicated performance as always, to Sam Rockwell delivering an offbeat and likable performance as George W. Bush, to the likes of Amy Adams and Steve Carell who've always been likable, Vice is littered with terrific performances. Those performances are expected by these people, but I do believe Adam McKay has something to do with that. Whether it's in his older comedies or his recent dramas, he knows where each of his performer's strengths are and showcases them first and foremost. Even in the slower moments of the film, I found myself incredibly engaged, due to the fact that these performances felt so real. Not only do these performances make this a better film, but this is a screenplay that impressed me quite a bit as well.

Having also been written by Adam McKay, he clearly knew the story he wanted to tell from start to finish. He chose the most interesting period in Dick Cheney's life and went with it. From incredibly weird and interesting choices in terms of where the story starts and stops throughout the course of the movie, I was kind of amazed at how a few scenes didn't crash and burn. Some audiences may find certain choices very strange, but I thought they were experiments that paid off. I can't wait to see what he comes up with as his next project.

In the end, Vice is the kind of film that would jump at the opportunity to be nominated for numerous awards, but it's also one that deserves the recognition it's receiving. Many of the critics seem to be mixed on this particular film, but that actually shocks me. From weird (in a good way) editing choices to bizarre songs choices, Vice is a movie that meshes a lot of elements together to form a film that feels more like an experiment than a finished product, but that experiment just worked for me in nearly every way. I loved watching Vice and I highly recommend it.
January 18, 2019
I'll be checking the betting odds on Christian Bale for Best Actor the minute the Oscar nominees are announced. Fabulous performance. Anyway, this is a fun movie about an American war criminal. It's by the same guy that did The Big Short and the style is very similar - but the subject matter is much easier to understand. Whatever - there are many laugh-out-loud moments for me. It must have been very tempting to call this movie Dick - but I guess there's already an American politics movie called Dick - so Vice. I'll go 7.8 out of 10 for this.
January 18, 2019
well made, original, informational, funny, interresting, well played. I liked everything exept maybe the ending but why not tho
½ January 17, 2019
The best part by far is Christian Bale's performance which is just astounding, to the point where I didn't even recognize him when I first saw the trailer. I enjoyed every second he was on screen. Amy Adams and really the entire cast does well here. But unfortunately this movie falls victim to the picking sides mentality instead of giving the audience any hopeful message of coming together to put a stop to bad things in politics. There is so much material that is simply guessed and written to sound like a cheesy comic book villain conference instead of trying to sound anything like actual history. This is a story that needs to be told in a truthful way and it rather focused on pouring gasoline on the fire of an already divisive nation by grasping at any straw possible to make Republicans look bad. It's not about Republicans vs. Democrats, its that anyone can be bad given the right amount of opportunity and power, and as a nation, we need to come together to solve this instead of picking sides and shouting we're right and they're wrong. We have to find some way to come together and this does not encourage that.
January 17, 2019
Vice connects the dots from the vestiges of news, historical reports, political drivvel, and truth. Acting extraordinary from all. A must see for those who lived with awareness through these years.
January 17, 2019
Yikes, they wasted money making this, terrible now some people will believe this crap.
January 17, 2019
I really enjoyed Vice - solid acting by all, although the narrator was a bit of a weak part.
It's funny to see people who didn't like it because of its political bent. Why would you possibly expect for a movie about Cheney to be flattering?? Personally, I doubt they went to see it, and just wrote reviews to lash out.
January 16, 2019
great filmmaking. stellar cast. this is one of the most important movies ever made from a historical perspective.
January 16, 2019
Adam McKay's style in Vice helps bring a more unique viewing experience in the biopic genre, adding onto the occasionally funny and interesting film
½ January 16, 2019
A little long, and I'm unsure why it is so hyped. Sure, Dick was corrupt.. but there are holes in the narrative here. Writers were coached?
January 16, 2019
Bale nails Dick Chaney, in both voice and mannerisms and should be seen for that alone. Everything/everyone else is just pretty meh.
January 16, 2019
It goes into one of the controversial times in US political history.