Vice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vice Reviews

March 23, 2019
Dick Cheney(TM)s apprenticeship during Nixon, Ford and Reagan, private sector exodus during Carter and Clinton and ascent to nearly unlimited power as Bush Jr(TM)s running mate / handler. It(TM)s hopeless to argue that this film doesn(TM)t have an agenda - the trailers alone should have made that abundantly clear - and it makes no effort to hide or balance that essential bias. Cheney is played as a man who values nothing beyond personal gain, even going so far as to ask what should I believe in? during an informal chat early in his career. He(TM)s less transparent later on, as his understanding of political gamesmanship improves, and by the time he(TM)s asked to join the GOP ticket in 2000, he can ask for the moon.

Basically, we(TM)re watching the birth of a hardened super-villain without the inconvenience of actually breaking any laws. Or, I suppose, of being caught for doing so. That(TM)s serious subject matter, but the tone varies unexpectedly from grim and straight to playful and silly. Often several times in one scene, which makes for a somewhat confusing viewing experience. It can(TM)t decide between hammering an important point and nailing a ripe punchline, valiantly tries to accomplish both and rarely succeeds at either. A gimmicky narrative style and ambitious use of jump cuts further muddy those waters.

The acting follows suit. Some scenes are rich and effective, Christian Bale becoming the lead role in more than just a physical sense, while others just... don(TM)t work? Steve Carrell(TM)s casting as Donald Rumsfeld is a good example; a take that could have really come together, but plays instead like a weird mix of his better-known parts in The Office and Anchorman. It(TM)s an entertaining film and an important story, with a few hooks that almost sink in, but struggles with tonal inconsistency and an inner conflict that(TM)s never completely resolved.
March 23, 2019
I'm at a loss as to the scores of this film, I believe it to be one of the best films I've seen in years and it portrayed a message that is crucially important.
March 22, 2019
Vice takes a look into former Vice President Dick Cheney and his rise to power in a well acted comedy-drama. Vice is funny when it needs to be and serious when it needs to be. Bale and Adams are both phenomenal.
½ March 22, 2019
Vice is one of the worst Best Picture nominees in recent memory. 'The Big Short' at least had that novelty factor to it, but this one is even worse than that very weak movie. Yes, the first act is fine and acting's pretty good, but not Oscar-worthy by any stretch of imagination. The script is horrible, the movie's one-sided, unsophisticated and simply unfunny in its dialogue and many gimmicks that the director constantly throws at the audience very unsuccessfully. Adam McKay really is a terrible director and I hope the Academy will realize that some day.
March 22, 2019
Great movie, funny, great acting, non stop enaging shows Chenny as who he is.
½ March 20, 2019
Failed on every level.
½ March 19, 2019
How low can you go? Oozing down to Michael Moore-levels of nuance and sophistication.
March 18, 2019
Eye opening and jarring to say the absolute least. Power, money...Bale does it again.
March 18, 2019
Vice is an excellent film. It is about the story of Vice-President Dick Cheney. Christian Bale and Amy Adams give fantastic performances. The script is well written. Adam McKay did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and humor. Vice is a must see.
March 18, 2019
Truth hurts most Americans!
A verdade dói a muitos americanos!
¡La verdad duele la gran parte de los americanos!
½ March 17, 2019
Huge disappointment. Christian Bale gave his usual stellar performance, but even that could not save this movie. The script wanted to cover a lot bur ended up being too messy.
March 16, 2019
This movie is so incredibly biased with so many inaccuracies. It's sad to think that some people will watch and believe this rhetoric. Christian Bale is a very talented actor but it's a shame his talent was wasted on this mess.
March 16, 2019
An excellent political movie
March 14, 2019
Terrible writing. Terrible dialogue. Although Christian Bale's acting was pretty good.
March 14, 2019
'What a waste of a talenred cast-
½ March 14, 2019
A vicious movie, pure and simple.
March 13, 2019
"Vice" tells things already known to the whole world, never mentions the deep state (or deep states) under the facade puppeteers at the White House (including Obama and Hillary Clinton), turns attention to the past more or less distant of U.S. history as if it wanted to distract us from the most recent, global and terrible emergencies.
(Mauro Lanari)
March 13, 2019
I had waited for a very long time to see this film and I was not disappointed. The snarkiness , truths, and biases throughout this picture is a telling of the tape as to why 1/2Vice 1/2? was rushed out of theaters before the masses could feast it 1/2(TM)s eyes up on it.
As someone who was only a kid when the Bush presidency was in full swing, this movie filled in a lot of the gaps of what I had only heard on TV and from my mom as an impressionable young pup.
1/2Vice 1/2? is an incredible anti-propaganda machine. Heavy on facts, but also taking it 1/2(TM)s weight from an obvious liberal bias. It 1/2(TM)s a nice change of pace though, if we are taking into account what movies were coming out during the Bush-Cheney-era.
This is no-holds barred storytelling of the powers that be, but more importantly what drives their greed for absolute power.
Hats off to Steve Carell for making Donald Rumsfeld a lovable and humorous character to almost completely cover and excuse his overall distasteful demeanor. All the actors gave Oscar worthy performances that in some instances would make a viewer like myself want to have sympathy for the bad guy, but then the next instant the actors would do something to remind me why the bad guy that they are portraying is to be hated in the first place. That is the essence of 1/2Vice 1/2? : showing audiences the truth of some of the evils the leaders in their country have committed and how it has influenced them; yet, showing that through all the layers of evil - a little humor can go a long way to make monsters (and monstorous situations) as human as those who are known to be the creators of monsters. Ask Stoker, ask Shelley.
March 12, 2019
El Vicepresidente es divertida y muy emotiva, Christian Bale se pasá Amy Adams y Sam Rockwell excelentes guión impresionante y el montaje puff