Volunteers Reviews

• Sep 11, 2020

I can't believe I've never seen this movie and that it took me so long to watch it. Now I know why Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson say this is their favorite movie. They had wonderful chemistry in "Volunteers" and although I found this a bit slow in places, it did have some hilarious moments. I love John Candy singing the Wazzu (Washington State University) fight song! The scenery was beautiful and the acting was great (loved Gedde Watanabe in this almost as much as I loved him as Long Duck Dong in Sixteen Candles. I'm glad I finally saw this because it's suspenseful, romantic and funny. The ending was a bit of a disappointment, given the first part of the film. I wish it had been longer and that Tom Hanks' relationship with Rita Wilson had been flushed out a little more but it was a wonderful way for them to start their real relationship!

• Aug 16, 2020

I think any one of us can unexpectedly become volunteers in a way whether it's intentional or not In the case of Tom Hanks as Laurence, a spoiled rich kid from NYC he gets into some trouble with the mafia owing then gambling money during the 1960s He follows his roommate at Yale joining the peace corps to Thailand and ends up in the country helping the indigenous peoples he wasn't planning to He's joined by Tom the Turtle Tuttle played by John Candy and Beth played by Rita Wilson but all of them get caught up in the middle of a communist struggle occupying the nation A bridge is being constructed although more than one party wants to have control of if At first Laurence isn't the slightest bit interested in participating in community service but after seeing Beth he's willing to be a humanitarian helping the villagers, stopping drug lords, and ending communist forces This movie was also the first time Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson met playing a couple on-screen and actually ending up together off-screen. One of those rare examples of beginning Hollywood romances. There's several Asian stereotypes that are cringeworthy but there was one joke breaking-the-fourth wall that made me laugh and Hanks, Wilson, and John Candy carry the movie enough to be above average. Also has the main character apply that moral of what you can not only do for your country not for others. Laurence does the right thing for the right reasons for a change for once in his life. A lot of us can strive to do something for others instead of just for ourselves. A decent comedy if you don't retain a lot from it afterwards.

• Jun 30, 2020

1985: A college graduate with huge gambling debts takes the place of a buddy and joins with the Peace Corps in Thailand. He regrets the move but cannot leave. He and other volunteers join together to help a local Thai group in building a bridge to help the village. However, two different rival groups threaten the village. The movie is watchable, but ultimately disappointing. The plot just becomes ultimately plodding. The lead character is rather unlikable, though Hanks does what he can with the role of Lawrence Bourne III. Candy has some amusing moments as "Tom Tuttle from Tacoma". Wilson is likable as Beth Wexler. Stars: Tom Hanks, John Candy, Rita Wilson, Tim Thomerson, and Gedde Watanabe. (Hanks and Wilson married after the making of this picture.)

• Dec 17, 2019

Hilarious and fun way to kill some time!

Hilarious and fun way to kill some time!

• Aug 21, 2019

Hanky and Candy are great together once again. A vastly underrated comedy.

Hanky and Candy are great together once again. A vastly underrated comedy.

• Nov 26, 2018

It's a bad movie but still enjoyable to watch.

It's a bad movie but still enjoyable to watch.

• Nov 04, 2018

Another low-ranked Hanks comedy from the 80's . . . not sure what's up, but this is a fantastic film, great blend of quality and campy. Oh yeah, and John Candy is in it, a must watch.

• Mar 08, 2017

Tom Hanks and John Candy were outstanding! This movie is where Tom Hanks met Rita Wilson filming and later married (28 years now)! Much of the humor is dry and over the head of the lobotomy crowd.

• Feb 05, 2017

This is an old favourite: the bit where John Candy gets brainwashed by the communists gave me a laughing fit.

• Oct 09, 2016

Tom Hanks, John Candy and Rita Wilson star in the comedy Volunteers. Tom Hanks is Lawrence Bourne III, the son of a rich father and he is quite spoiled. He runs a gambling debt of 28,000 dollars and his father decides not to bail him out this time. To escape a beating, he boards a plane with the peace corp that is headed to Thailand. He is paired up with Tom Tuttle from Tacoma (John Candy) and Beth Wexler (Rita Wilson). The three are tasked with building a bridge that spans across a river which will allow for steady flow of traffic and supplies. Lawrence is cocky and hating the situation he is and refuses to acknowledge or help the locals. He decides to use his time gambling with the locals and relaxing. Beth and Tom are both eager to help, but there lack of knowledge of Thai is makings things difficult. Luckily named At Toon (Gedde Watanabe), is eager to help them learn Thai and provide translation. What they soon come to realize is that the creation of the bridge is more likely to help the local drug dealers and criminals. Lawrence seems to almost encourage it as he sees it as a quicker way to get out of Thailand, but when he realizes it will harm Beth and others he starts to come around to do the right thing. Hanks does not seem particularly cast well as the spoiled son. Candy's role is wasted as most of his comedic output seems to be repeatedly mentioning that he is Tom Tuttle from Tacoma. There are moments in the film where more physical comedy or action oriented comedy could have been used given the foreign location, but this was not utilized. Volunteers can be easily missed, even by those who are Candy and Hanks fans. -10.09.2016