Volunteers Reviews

• Aug 21, 2019

Hanky and Candy are great together once again. A vastly underrated comedy.

Hanky and Candy are great together once again. A vastly underrated comedy.

• Nov 26, 2018

It's a bad movie but still enjoyable to watch.

It's a bad movie but still enjoyable to watch.

• Nov 04, 2018

Another low-ranked Hanks comedy from the 80's . . . not sure what's up, but this is a fantastic film, great blend of quality and campy. Oh yeah, and John Candy is in it, a must watch.

• Mar 08, 2017

Tom Hanks and John Candy were outstanding! This movie is where Tom Hanks met Rita Wilson filming and later married (28 years now)! Much of the humor is dry and over the head of the lobotomy crowd.

• Feb 05, 2017

This is an old favourite: the bit where John Candy gets brainwashed by the communists gave me a laughing fit.

• Oct 09, 2016

Tom Hanks, John Candy and Rita Wilson star in the comedy Volunteers. Tom Hanks is Lawrence Bourne III, the son of a rich father and he is quite spoiled. He runs a gambling debt of 28,000 dollars and his father decides not to bail him out this time. To escape a beating, he boards a plane with the peace corp that is headed to Thailand. He is paired up with Tom Tuttle from Tacoma (John Candy) and Beth Wexler (Rita Wilson). The three are tasked with building a bridge that spans across a river which will allow for steady flow of traffic and supplies. Lawrence is cocky and hating the situation he is and refuses to acknowledge or help the locals. He decides to use his time gambling with the locals and relaxing. Beth and Tom are both eager to help, but there lack of knowledge of Thai is makings things difficult. Luckily named At Toon (Gedde Watanabe), is eager to help them learn Thai and provide translation. What they soon come to realize is that the creation of the bridge is more likely to help the local drug dealers and criminals. Lawrence seems to almost encourage it as he sees it as a quicker way to get out of Thailand, but when he realizes it will harm Beth and others he starts to come around to do the right thing. Hanks does not seem particularly cast well as the spoiled son. Candy's role is wasted as most of his comedic output seems to be repeatedly mentioning that he is Tom Tuttle from Tacoma. There are moments in the film where more physical comedy or action oriented comedy could have been used given the foreign location, but this was not utilized. Volunteers can be easily missed, even by those who are Candy and Hanks fans. -10.09.2016

• Sep 13, 2015

I think what I liked best was the film score by James Horner. It is almost presented in a bigger than life aspect. What I was not a fan of is the sexual talk, sexual immorality, drugs, alcohol. I thought some of the characteristics by Tom Hanks besides the above mentioned factors were funny like how he would act as a big shot and not get away with it or how he felt with people was funny. I did not think it was necessary to see Tom Hanks character get the girl at all. I was not satisfied with the results of the film. I felt like the villains were not adequately dealt with in order to resolve the conflict since the villains were still there & could always come back. I did like John Candy's role in this film up till the end when he was blabbering up stuff from being slapped by Tom Hanks character. This film made a fun of Asians, and war films, card films, bar fights, rescue scenes, and the Peace Corps, CIA, the military, and not in a good way either.

• Aug 12, 2015

This is a movie about a young man who escapes his massive gambling debts by enlisting in the Peace Corps. It is a movie that is loaded with problems, and can't seem to deliver enough laughs to overcome all those shortcomings. The first big flaw is the casting of Tom Hanks in the lead role. He is just too likable to pull off the part of this scuzzy gambler who takes advantage of his father and objectifies women. Also his attempt at a British accent is atrocious and really unnecessary. The next thing that really stands out to me as a glaring fault in this movie is the fact that they squander the talents of John Candy. Almost every single genuine laugh that Volunteers managed to get from me was because of the amazing skill of John Candy. Yet someone decided to write into the script events that had him disappear for almost half the movie. However, the ultimate misfire in Volunteers is the entire plot. They devised a film where there are at least 4 different factions all at play in the bridge-construction project assigned to the Peace Corps team. Normally this would be where you create tension in your film, and yet they stupidly have every single group want the same outcome. It completely takes away any interest we might have in the bridge's construction and made me wonder why we even should care about anything that happens in the movie. There are more deficiencies in the film (like the illogical romance) but they didn't bother me quite as much. In fact there were moments when I would say I was enjoying Volunteers. I still think it is a poor movie and I wouldn't recommend it, but I can't say I entirely hated watching it.

• Feb 21, 2015

a sexist, racist, mostly unfunny mess that not even the combined efforts of tom hanks and john candy could save. still better than temple of doom, though.

• Oct 13, 2014

Has some funny moments but just collapses at the end.

Has some funny moments but just collapses at the end.