WarGames (War Games) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

WarGames (War Games) Reviews

July 5, 2016
Another good Matthew Broderick film
June 9, 2016
This film is genuinely the funniest thing I've seen in a long time (unintentionally of course)
½ April 25, 2016
The original computer hacker movie. Video games and a possible World War III, what could be cooler in an 80s movie. The obvious technology advancements over the past 30 years since the film was made is both apparent and comical, yet the message and premise of the movie stay weather strong. Rating: 7.75 / 10
½ March 12, 2016
A sort of back to the future experience to only see it for the first time in 2015.... Clever story and enough twists to keep it interesting even so. Was encouraged to check it out after reading Ernest Cline's Ready Player One.
March 9, 2016
Truly an underrated film with video games sounds to add in the mix. PC MASTER RACE!!!!
March 9, 2016
Some games you can plan on and on forever, while others you forget about and never open again. I can see the appeal this film may have had when it first came out, but it definitely did not stand the test of time.

Cheesy acting, typical story, and doesn't contribute any thoughtful lessons a post cold-war era.

Would not recommend.
February 13, 2016
Just the right mix of camp, sci-fi and comedy. Loved the pterodactyl drone. And you can't go wrong with Barr Corbin & Dabney Coleman.
½ February 4, 2016
Pretty interesting but of course the visuals and technology may turn off some people.
January 28, 2016
It's refreshing seeing Matthew Broderick on screen before 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off'. A throwback to the nostalgic times of dial-up Internet, WarGames is a fun watch to this day; and also a good reminder of the power of AI, then and now.
November 26, 2015
Great Cold War drama.

A high school kid, David (played by Matthew Broderick), accidentally hacks the powerful computer that runs global thermonuclear war simulations for the US military, and which controls the US's nuclear weapons arsenal. It starts as a game but ends up deadly serious...

Intriguing, exciting movie with a few funny moments along the way. Though not anywhere near as biting as Dr Strangelove in its demonstration of how Cold War paranoia and the nuclear arms race can go awry, it is a fairly chilling indicator of what could happen.

Solid work from Matthew Broderick in the lead role, in only his second movie. Ally Sheedy is wonderful as Jennifer. Supporting cast are fine too.
November 9, 2015
A bit long,but I am a bit nostalgic for this one.
½ October 30, 2015
WarGames is such a well crafted and endlessly entertaining movie filled good acting, nice characters, entertaining story and excellent incorporation of different genres ranging from teen to sci-fi to thriller. It is also a smart and very well scripted film with fine dialogue, good message and excellent pacing. It is too predictable at times, but it is wonderfully childlike and hugely entertaining nonetheless and is one of the best blockbusters of the eighties for sure.
October 26, 2015
Cold war classic with an original story.
October 11, 2015
I think its time to update this with a remake just to show how little we've progressed & how little we've learned in the intervening 32 years as well as how much more capably we've become in automatically extinguishing.
½ October 11, 2015
Es tan divertida e inteligente, y tan llena de tecnología a su tiempo, que es ilógico y prácticamente imposible no divertirte con ella
½ September 20, 2015
"Shall we play a game?" Rewetting this film now, it's obvious to me now that this is an old school cold war thriller along the lines of "Seven Days in May" or "Fail-Safe" but with a modern high tech twist. And by modern, I mean 1980s high tech, which dial up modems and monochrome computer monitors. The antiquated technololgy is part of this film's charm, but even without that, the film stands on it's own. Matthew Broderick plays a bright underachiever who wants to hack into a computer game maker company to play their new unreleased games, but inadvertently breaks into NORAD Command Center to accidentally put the US on the brink of WWIII when he decides plays Global Thermonuclear War with his girlfriend, Ally Sheedy. One thing that I really like about this film is that it celebrates people who are smart, which is actually kind of a rarity among films starring teenager. How can you not love seeing Broderick do some old school phone hacking with two very antiquated items, a pay phone and a soda can pull-tab. The film is exciting, has a fast pace and an excellent cast, which includes Dabney Coleman, John Wood, James Tolkan, Maury Chaykin & Eddie Deezen ("Remember you told me to tell you when you were acting rudely and insensitively? Remember that? You're doing it right now."), Art LaFleur, Michael Madsen in a bit part and Barry Corbin as the NORAD commander who steals every single scene that he's in. There's a good computery score by Arthur B. Rubinstein, sharp photography by William A. Fraker and memorable sets by Angelo P. Graham, particularly the NORAD command center. Walon Green also reportedly did uncredited script doctoring on this film, though the writers of this film also went on to write the equally classic hacker film, "Sneakers", although that film was also worked on by the very smart Phil Alden Robinson. I consider this film very much a classic among cold war films and computer hacker films. A terrific film all around. Oh, and this film also contains the first cinematic use of the term "firewall."
September 18, 2015
Tense and far more frightening than I would have expected while also being sweet and playful. A very well made movie. I like to think that NORAD as a whole adopted David in the aftermath.
½ July 28, 2015
It's a classic for a reason. Definitely a must-see.
July 24, 2015
Watching this with TJ and Curt. Oh the places you'll go, floppy discs and dial up modems!!
½ July 21, 2015
Rating: 93%
WarGames is intelligent and suspenseful, with a surprisingly good performance from Matthew Broderick and a tense premise.