Watermelon Man Reviews

• Jul 26, 2020

It smelled like somebody pooped their pants.

It smelled like somebody pooped their pants.

• May 05, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Feb 03, 2019

i don't know, I thought the movie was excessively bland, it might have made more sense if the guy was a bigger racist

• Jan 01, 2019

I used to see this movie on tv when I was a young teenager in the early 70's. As a black or mixed race kid, I was fascinated with the ideas being presented and it was quite unusual at the time to see race presented frankly on screen. Sure there are a lot of holes in the script (how did he turn black?) but it is presented as a surreal comedy with social commentary overtones and those are the thoughts you are left with at the end. Remember, it was risque to present frank discussions of race at the time..

• Sep 28, 2018

Before Get Out, there was this! MASTERPIECE!

Before Get Out, there was this! MASTERPIECE!

• May 17, 2017

I decided to watch this after the hype was going on about Jordan Peele's horror thriller GET OUT. Watermelon Man is about a racist white guy who hates blacks suddenly turning black one day and getting his life ruined, so this movie attempts to tell us that the morale of the story is that if you're a non-black person, you shouldn't be racist to blacks because you never know if YOU might suddenly, magically turn black and stay black forever? That's just lazy science fiction. Dylann Roof might approve of this movie. After what he did in Charleston, Roof said that blacks are over sensitive about their skin and always accuse whites of being racist all the time. Roof would be delighted that this movie claims blacks should ALWAYS MIND the bigotry and prejudice.

• Mar 28, 2015

This film has a couple of funny back-and-forth banter between our main character and others. Ahead of it's time, but overdone sometimes and just goofy even for 1970.

• Apr 13, 2014

When Godfrey Cambridge died we lost a great talent. Yes, the make up isn't very good and it's amateurishly made but it's still very funny and very smart.

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Aug 28, 2013

It's blatantly obvious that we're supposed to be confronted with the social problems of race in America from a mixture of comedy and drama, but I couldn't help but keep myself from asking how in the world he got turned into a black guy in the first place. The ridiculousness of the answers given by him and the others in the film on that problem just irked me. I was so hung up on the how that I didn't enjoy the rest so much. But I will say that it gives a nice look at the differences between the way people are treated depending on their skin color, it's pretty funny, and not a very bad movie over all.

• Jun 09, 2013