Wedding in White Reviews

• Sep 24, 2019

Based on a true story, this play-turned-film offers a gut-wrenching look into the lives of men vs. women in the WWII era. Jeannie Dougall (Carol Kane) is a shy, naive teen who gets raped by an aggressive soldier on leave, beaten up by her "best friend," called a whore by her parents & ultimately forced into an arranged marriage with...well, I don't want to spoil the plot but suffice it to say it's a shocker. Despite being the sweetest character, she's treated the worst & abandoned by everyone who's supposed to love her which is all too relate-able. While slow in parts, Wedding in White is worth watching through to the end for its extremely realistic & emotional portrayal of gender inequality at its absolute worst. It's got layers upon layers of intergenerational trauma to unpack & will leave you with a better understanding of the biology-based oppression women & girls have faced since the beginning of time.

• Jul 08, 2017

Likely not seen by most American filmgoers, this Canadian drama starring a 20-year-old Carol Kane is one of the saddest films I've ever seen. Wedding in White is uncompromising to the end (literally) in its depiction of the toll small-minded ignorance can take on a family. Dismissed as dimwitted by the people around her, Kane plays a 16-year-old girl so mentally and physically beaten down by her life circumstances, the viewer's heart will break for what she is made to endure. Also a jarring reminder of how easily misery and suffering can be passed from one generation to the next.

• Jul 01, 2014

Out of this commonplace story about ordinary people, the Canadian writer and director William Fruet has fashioned "Wedding in White," a poignant, bitter, sometimes surprisingly funny slice-of-life. It really does recreate its wartime society; everything about it is right: the clothes, the dialog and particularly the prejudices and ignorance.

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Sep 05, 2010

This movie is very realistic and sad, it's beautifully tragic, and Kane is perfect as the main character. I really liked this movie.

• Nov 01, 2009

This Canadian film is a true gem!!

This Canadian film is a true gem!!

• Aug 20, 2009

Have a box of tissues. I would never have imagined Carol Kane playing the role she played in this. Unbelievably good. Terrific cast. As I related a real tear jerker.