We're Not Dressing Reviews

• Nov 27, 2015

I love older movies, but have hesitated on seeing my boxed sets of Bing Crosby's films (and for the time being have actually stopped for a while) simply because of his caustic comments about David Bowie from when they sang the Christmas standard 'The Little Drummer Boy' together late in his life, and the supposedly awful way he treated his seven children (two of whom actually committed suicide). Still, this was enjoyable for non-Crosby elements, such as Carole Lombard and the antics of the fine comic duo of Gracie Allen and George Burns--not to mention a cool early appearance by Ray Milland.

• Mar 14, 2015

Doesn't have much of a plotline. Carole Lombard along with Ethel Merman and Bing Crosby is the only real reason to see this.

• Oct 21, 2014

Fast-moving Paramount musical with the usual star-studded cast: Bing Crosby (he sings "Love Thy Neighbor"), Carole Lombard, Burns & Allen, and Ethel Merman.

• Mar 26, 2010

A good reason not to watch almost anything 1930's. Folks, let me tell you something. If you like this era of films, good for you. Its great to see these lifestyles recorded for eternity. But I love Bing Crosby and even I can tell by today's standards.... well... these types of old films are less than satisfying for me. 1934 screwball comedy film starring Bing Crosby, Carole Lombard, Burns and Allen, Ethel Merman, and Ray Milland. "Beautiful high society type Doris Worthington is entertaining guests on her yacht in the Pacific when it hits a reef and sinks. She makes her way to an island with the help of singing sailor Stephen Jones. Her friend Edith, Uncle Hubert, and Princes Michael and Alexander make it to the same island but all prove to be useless in the art of survival. The sailor is the only one with the practical knowhow to survive but Doris and the others snub his leadership offer. That is until he starts a clam bake and wafts the fumes in their starving faces. The group gradually gives into his leadership, the only question now is if Doris will give into his charms. " [Written by Gary Jackson] Director: Norman Taurog Stars: Stephen Jones . . . . . Bing Crosby Doris Worthington . . . . . Carole Lombard George . . . . . George Burns Gracie . . . . . Gracie Allen Edith . . . . . Ethel Merman Hubert . . . . . Leon Errol Prince Alexander Stofani . . . . . Jay Henry Prince Michael Stofani . . . . . Raymond Milland Old sailor . . . . . John Irwin Captain . . . . . Charles Morris First ship's officer . . . . . Ben Hendricks Second ship's officer . . . . . Ted Oliver NOTES about the film: 1 Everyone involved in the making of We're Not Dressing harbored happy memories of the film, though Ray Milland (cast as Doris' snooty society fiancé) had less pleasant memories of the trained bear which figures prominently in the opening scenes. Bing Crosby's musical numbers include two of his best, "May I" and "Love Thy Neighbor." ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi (courtesy of NY Times) 2 WE'RE NOT DRESSING, based on a story by Benjamin Glazer; music and lyrics by Harry Revel and Mack Gordon; directed by Norman Taurog; a Paramount production. At the Rivoli. 3 "With all due respect to Mr. Crosby's earnest rendition of the song "Love Thy Neighbor," the fun afforded by the dependable Miss Allen and the unstable Mr. Errol wins the honors." ---- NY Times review 1934 Nostalgic YES, comforting YES, ....memorable film?....don't think so. Running Time: 77 Minutes Country: USA Genre: Musical Comedy, Ensemble Film

• Jun 14, 2009

As much as I love Bing Crosby movies this one fell a little flat. It felt more like the studio just poured as many big actors into one movie and didn't care about the rest. Even the songs by Bing were forgettable. Seriously, a pet bear? In a comedy like this Bing needed to be a little more funny.

• Mar 04, 2009

Weird delightful escapism from another time.

Weird delightful escapism from another time.

• Jan 24, 2009

Not one of my favorites, but it certainly had an interesting cast.

Not one of my favorites, but it certainly had an interesting cast.

• Oct 18, 2008

seems like the island scenario is the premise behind Gilligan's Island, featuring a very young Bing Crosby... not as great as I'd hoped.

• Jan 11, 2008

Carole! Bing! Burns and Allen! And The Merm!!!!!!!! Some of the story was eh, but it was quite fun regardless.

• Dec 18, 2007

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!