The Westerner Reviews

• Apr 28, 2021

The Westerner is a solid 40s western that is only okay in terms of storytelling, but the acting is great with Walter Brennan and Gary Cooper both delivering in spades individually and together as well. The movie is more of a drama than a spectacle for better and for worse, but its lack of shootouts at least made it somewhat different from other genre flicks of the time.

• Feb 20, 2021

Great western with stars Gary Cooper and a youngish looking Walter Brennan (forget his hit single twenty years later "Old Rivers") as the infamous Judge Roy Bean. There is some comedy mixed in which raises this picture above the usual oater of the era. Highly recommended! Cooper was hitting his legendary stride at this time in 1940 leading up to his best performance of all time, among many others, HIGH NOON in the 1950s.

• Jul 22, 2020

Cooper and co. are good but there isn't much to the plot.

Cooper and co. are good but there isn't much to the plot.

• Jul 28, 2019

The best Western movie ever made!

The best Western movie ever made!

• Feb 17, 2019

Not worthy of a review. 1940 was a great year for movies. This one missed out entirely.

• Oct 07, 2017

Quintessential Western movie and beautiful cinematography. Gary Cooper and a younger Walter Brennan than I've ever seen (still playing a codger). So much fun.

• Jun 11, 2017

One of the best westerns ever made, Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan, and Doris Davenport were all wonderful. I can't put my finger on how the old movies have something the new one don't. Maybe an innocence.

• Oct 28, 2015

Rub of the brush Cole Harden is a man arrested by the locals for stealing a horse and presented to the judge...the judge happens to be a star crazed bar tender. The bar tender finds him guilty and sentences Cole to a hanging. Cole convinces the bar tender that he has a lock of a starlet's hair that the bar tender has a crush on. The bar tender agrees to join him on an adventure to a neighboring town to get the lock of hair. "If I had to do the dishes I'd give up eating." William Wyler, director of Ben-Hur, Roman Holiday, The Collector, The Big Country, Wuthering Heights (1939), The Good Fairy, and The Little Foxes, delivers Westerners. The storyline for this picture is very fun and well written. The dialogue is excellent as are the character interactions. The cast includes Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan, Chill Wills, and Charles Halton. "Ownership of the horse is clearly established." This was recently on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and I had to DVR it since it starred Gary Cooper. He was very coy and entertaining in this film. His gestures were funny as were his interactions with the bar tender. I recommend this for fans of western classics. "I thought you were a ghost." Grade: B+/A- (8.75)

• Oct 05, 2015

A just fine western. The judge character was something new.

A just fine western. The judge character was something new.

• Apr 10, 2015

Classic westerner with great acting based on a true story, with many funny scenes too. One of the best western films I've ever seen and now one of my faves. Essential viewing if you like westerns.