Reviews

• May 25, 2021

"Quite a poor movie to say the least..... Certainly not worth the time to watch it." what a dumb comment. this film was great. it was filmed on location on baffin island with a real-life canadian inuit tribe. these are not actors, the film shows amazing footage of a real 1970s inuit family making igloos, killing polar bears, using kayak and dogsled. also features one of the greatest actors of his time, Warren Oates, who could not LOVE this movie?

• Apr 14, 2016

Three whalers get shipwrecked in the Canadian Arctic in 1869 and are saved and taken in by Eskimo people. Interesting to learn a bit more about the way of life of the Eskimo and how they survive. The food options and bathing facilities appear limited but otherwise it could be worse for the three sailors.

• Mar 05, 2016

Three whalers become marooned in the deep Arctic late in the 19th century, rescued and taken in by Eskimo community. Culture clash never mends leading to a tragic end. Filmed on location in Baffin Island with real Inuit people and language. A film that deserved a wider audience; would be interested in stories on the making of this film.

• Jun 08, 2015

Think of it as a darker, colder version of 'Dances with Wolves'. White Dawn takes us to the other side of the world to tell a story of a group of Americans sailors who slowly corrupt the isolated Inuit community that has rescued them. It's a lost film that should be rediscovered

• Apr 12, 2014

★★★ (out of four) Not a great film, but an earnest one. It shows us a world in all its bleakness that we don't often get to see. I got cold just watching it! Louis Gossett Jr, Warren Oates, and Timothy Bottoms play three whalers who run into trouble while on a fishing trip. they become trapped in the Artic Circle with their chances of survival dwindling. They are rescued by a tribe of Eskimos. They live in the village, but it soon becomes a clash of cultures as the three men introduce many worldly things to the Eskimos including gambling, stealing, and strange sexual behavior. The tribe finally rebels against them. Fascinating and disturbing with some very uncomfortable realism. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/Zeppo1/WhiteDawnThe_zps3f105ce7.jpg[/IMG]

• Mar 14, 2014

Pretty good one based on James Houston's book. I find this to be a little bland and not too exciting but other than that, it's still a good one.

• Sep 04, 2012

great movie. cant believe i hadn't heard of this. great scenery!

great movie. cant believe i hadn't heard of this. great scenery!

• May 08, 2012

if you ever read the book then you know that the film adaptation is from a different point of view. great story, wonderful scenery.....

• May 08, 2012

Hollywood seldomly makes movies like this today.Yes many of us tend to go for the "NOW" but really many of you do not know the wonderful brilliant movies such as this one that your missing. I say go watch this and the making of it!.

• May 08, 2012

Awesome postcards from the edge of the world. Nanooks are indistinguishable from each other, making them a mass of furry humanity without character. Tall americans bumble around. Oates is good.