White Mischief Reviews

• Oct 08, 2014

Largely boring film of an interesting subject most notably the murder of Lord Errol by persons unknown in 1941. The problem is despite Roger Deakins crisp camerawork and two good supporting performances from Trevor Howard and John Hurt, the two leads don't have any sexual chemistry and its hard to care about the lives of posh people at the fag end of Empire. The 80s were a tough time for British films and this shows why, pretty much all the characters in the film apart from Hurt have no redeeming features which means its hard to empathise with any body living in such decadence Greta Scacchi takes her clothes off at the drop of a hat but her part gives her little to do but look beautiful. Sarah Miles eats tons of scenery and Charles Dance looks bored. Howard is good fun as the lecherous old rogue and Hurt is always a pleasure to watch even when he is in stuff like this. If you like period costume dramas you may find something of interest. Personally I found the whole thing a bit of a slog.

• Oct 16, 2013

I love this movie, would like to buy it.A tale of debauchery, murder and scandal based on a true story settled in colonial Africa at the times of World War II.

• Jun 24, 2013

A vivid morality tale about the high cost of decadent narcissism.

A vivid morality tale about the high cost of decadent narcissism.

• Jun 20, 2011

As an impressionable teen i was obsessed with Greta Scacchi having sat up watching this on a school night into the wee hours. It's still a well made film and Scacchi still looks as good to me.

• Oct 17, 2010

interesting because its based on a true story and gives us a pretty realistic look at Happy Valley in Kenya where Brit expatriates orgied...had the feeling at times of being one of those Brit Tv drama's...a bit slow but worth a watch

• Jul 25, 2010

Great (dirty) murder mystery...love Africa!

Great (dirty) murder mystery...love Africa!

• Mar 16, 2010

Distinctly underwhelming retelling of the murder of the Earl of Erroll in 1941 and the subsequent trial of his lover's husband.

• Feb 01, 2010

Nice drama but the eccentricity of the characters are too pomp, mainly to help stretch out the storyline.

• Jul 13, 2008

Pretty boring, but I remember liking it when I was young because of the topless scenes, now that I am all growed up I am fine never to see it again.

• Mar 22, 2008

Lifts the curtain on expats on the loose. Well paced "murder mystery"

Lifts the curtain on expats on the loose. Well paced "murder mystery"