White Squall Reviews

• Feb 11, 2021

Strong performaces from a talented cast and great direction from Ridley Scott. White squal is a coming of age movie about a group of boys that join a school boat to learn how to sail and mantain the boat. the movie takes place in the early 1960s during the tensions with united states and cuba. I like the movie just did not like the ending, but I guess it is based on a true story so I guess that is what happened. It is worth a watch.

• Feb 02, 2021

There is something about an excellent performance that can even elevate above the film itself. Films like Madonna's W.E; Lars Von Trier's Antichrist; Richard Attenborough's Gandhi; Tony Richardson's Blue Sky. All have defects as movies go but do feature a central performance that is worthy of accolades. In the case of lead actor Jeff Bridges in Ridley Scott's White Squall, this case is no exception. The story itself (based on a true story) takes place in 1961. A group of impressionable young boys all apply for a school sailing trip on the SS Albatross. Under the command of Jeff Bridges' ship captain Dr Sheldon or ‘Skipper' as he is referred to by his crew. He is fiercely harsh and strict but does bond with them over time as they do to him. The young lads' project on their voyage, their own personal issues and insecurities that initially stem from their home life on land. One lad, in particular, comes from an upper-class family. Whose parents don't want him to follow his own example and instead has him secretly under their watchful eye wherever they sail to. One lad has to deal with the loss of his brother. To top it off also has an incredible fear of heights. One scene especially has Skipper ordering him to climb at the top of the mast to get over his fear. These scenes that are clearly there to set up character development and introduce the audience to identify them through the use of tropes. The rebellious James Dean type lad who acts tough but opens up about his illiteracy. The lad with the troubled past and must prove his worth. The lad who is bound to a wealthy and dominating family but wants to break away from them. The lad who acts as the sympathetic ear to the rest of them; all of which is basically tick boxing. I said before that the lead performance can top everything else about production and with Jeff Bridges, it's true. His performance as skipper is confident, charming, fierce, charismatic and dominates the scenes that he is in. I just love watching him on screen, and it's easy to see why his entire crew would back him all the way. His performance is the film's most active element. When the inevitable tragedy occurs later in the movie involving ‘The White Squall', a tidal wave of incredible size. Inevitably hits the crew, they all fight to survive within a boat that threatens to capsize. This sequence itself is incredibly well done and is very tense. The survivors make it land, and the film ends with a court scene that puts Skipper on trial. At this point, the film becomes more melodramatic and contrived as the scene plays out. Trying to balance subtlety and contrivance all at the same time while telling the story and so it comes out a mixed bag. The film overall struggles to find a consistent tone to tell this tragic story and really the events themselves probably deserved a more subtle approach, but Jeff Bridges and even the young cast give it they're all. Worth seeing it just for their performances and the sequence with the White Squall which is tense and well-done but really not a complete success.

• Feb 02, 2021

Ridley Scott and Jeff Bridges make a true story of a ship crew's loyalty at sea and at home. Scott Wolf is Chuck. He leaves his home Mystic, Connecticut in 1960. Albatross is a ship with many new recruiting sailors and their captain is Chris Sheldon who's willing to teach them discipline and fortitude. When they get caught in the middle of a white squall storm though it'll test their skills like never before. It's also the voyage after sea that Sheldon has to come to terms with what he's lost. The performances by Bridges and Wolf are genuine. The crew itself works together lacking the means to work as a whole as a start. The main problem is that this movie is 2 hours too long and the actually squall doesn't happen until the last third. Kept asking myself what's the delay? The while title of the movie is the storm so why hasn't it happened already? Scott has good actors but the sentiment lays on too thick in a lot of areas. This disaster at sea was the only real draw of the movie for me. There should've been less stalling to get there.

• Jan 09, 2021

A great coming of age tale combined with an exciting man versus the elements adventure. It overreaches with the sentimentality at the end, but otherwise excellent stuff.

• Jan 06, 2021

White Squall is a criminally underrated film. It would be a classic if it weren't for the slower beginning. It makes you fall in love with the idea of sailing whilst instilling the fear and danger of the high seas.

• Nov 13, 2020

I very much liked the movie! It was a very good movie! With a very good story! It was some what sad at the end! But even though it was sad at the end, it still was a very good movie! I very much enjoyed the movie! From: Charles Wooster.

• Aug 01, 2020

It's not one of Scott's finest moments? but 'White Squall' has enough to make for a good and entertaining drama. (7/10)

• Jul 21, 2020

Allegory that happens to be 2/3rds based on true events. Caveat : I like sentimentality films with that ensemble-becomes-a-team/family feeling. This is Dead Poet's Society on water. That's all you need to know.

• Oct 22, 2019

I quite enjoyed this film, it's more of a novel in motion than standard Hollywood fare. Overall, I'd say it's sometimes cheesy at the same time it's inspiring. "Where we go one, we go all."

• Jul 13, 2019

No es de lo mejor de Ridley Scott.

No es de lo mejor de Ridley Scott.