The Whole Nine Yards - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Whole Nine Yards Reviews

November 11, 2017
Hubby saw it before meeting me, not impressed
November 9, 2017
???????????? Cast KILLS this film!
August 14, 2017
Pretty mediocre to say the least.
June 9, 2017
Matthew Perry plays a Chandler-esque character caught in a mob conflict. It is funny at times and offers an entertaining enough story to be an okay watch.
½ March 1, 2017
Screw the critics. This is cult classic with a GREAT cast! Perry, WiIlis, Michael Clark Duncan and Kevin Pollack - of course this is going to be good! Matthew Perry's best work!
½ December 9, 2016
A violent, dark comedy with a light touch of innocence, that makes it all the more funnier.
½ August 21, 2016
8/18/2016: A fun and entertaining flick. The cast was great and there were quite a few funny scenes.
½ February 10, 2016
Funny and entertaining mob-comedy.

Montreal, Canada. A down-on-his luck dentist, "Oz" Oseransky (played by Matthew Perry), discovers that his new neighbour is Jimmy "The Tulip" Tudeski, former mob contract killer turned Police informant. The mob has put on price on the head of Tudeski (Bruce Willis). Egged on my his loathsome wife Oz sets off to Chicago to let the mob know where Tudeski is and, with a bit of luck, claim part of the reward...

A movie which makes full use of Matthew Perry's prodigious comedic talents, especially for physical comedy. While Bruce Willis is solid in his role, Perry makes the movie. Very funny, and very Chandleresque.

Plot is decent too, though is really just a vehicle for the comedy. Can be silly at times though, but generally doesn't get too out of hand or wander too far from the main focus.

Good support from Amanda Peet (especially), Natasha Henstridge, Michael Clarke Duncan and Kevin Pollak. Roseanna Arquette is very irritating as Oz's wife, but maybe that was the idea...
½ January 14, 2016
Nice bit of physical comedy from Matthew Perry and a bit of action from Bruce
November 16, 2015
Na real, bem fraco. Mas Perry salva fazendo tudo o que pode.
October 30, 2015
I think my wife and I laughed harder and more during this movie than during anything else we have ever seen together. I highly recommend it for those of you who aren't scared off by a hard R dark comedy.

Don't expect a cinema masterpiece, you won't find one in The Whole Nine Yards, just expect a charming cast. This is one of those things where, I imagine, the less you expect out of it, the more it will deliver.
½ September 20, 2015
Just this side of amiable to recommend, largely due to its farcical script.
August 6, 2015
Nice movie. I alway thought that Bruce Willis would be an incredible comic. His characters have always that ability to make you laugh.
½ May 28, 2015
Hilarious and clever.
½ May 27, 2015
A funny personality but in comedies Willis looks very uncomfortable and Perry should just stick to TV.
March 20, 2015
Despite Rosanna Arquette's bad acting of an awful character trying to bring the film down, she was totally no match against the team-up of Matthew Perry, Bruce Willis, Michael Clarke Duncan and Amanda Peet delivering the laughable, charming humor in a well-structured, complex execution of this crime comedy with nice tactics on doing so. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
February 21, 2015
A goofy comedy involving Chandler playing himself and enjoyable supporting actors.
½ January 23, 2015
The all-star cast is why this movie can be enjoyed. The "love" stories are forced and really distract from the plot.
January 15, 2015
This is a lot less funny than I remembered it being. Of course, not that I ever thought this was one of the funniest films ever made, but then again, when I first watched this movie I was either 12 or 13, so you understand how I might've thought this was funnier back in the day. I was a kid, therefore young and stupid. Is it just me or is Bruce Willis not particularly good at comedies? He can play a straight man role well, but it's not like Jason Bateman in Arrested Development, where his timing and delivery are so perfect that he's just as funny as any of the crazy members of the Bluth family. Bruce Willis, of course, is no Jason Bateman I hate to say, as if that would surprise anybody. I don't know why this film made me realize just how unfunny Bruce Willis is...and I even watched Cop Out. I'm not saying he can't do comedy, cause the Die Hard series has always had some comedic touches with his one-liners. But as a strictly comedy actor, Bruce is no good. It just seems like he has a stick up his ass all the time. And I mean the real-life guy, not the characters he plays, and that renders him unable to do comedy well. So, when all your comedy rests on the shoulders of MATTHEW PERRY, then you know you have problems. To be fair though, while Matthew is certainly really fucking goofy, he did get a few chuckles out of me. The film's script, however, does nobody any favors. Let's divide the film in three parts. The first part would be Oz meeting Jimmy and everything leading to him going to Chicago to rat Jimmy out to his former boss' son, The second part would be Jimmy finding about Oz's plan and trying to find a way to kill the Gogolak gang before they kill him. The third part would be after everything's done, and the Gogolak gang is eliminated, Jimmy and Oz not trusting each other before Jimmy is preparing to collect the $10 million dollars. The first part is the exposition, it's setting everything that's gonna transpire, but to be honest, it's not really that funny, outside of one or two mild chuckles. The second part of the film, somehow, is actually not that bad. This is where most of the comedic highlights take place. I don't wanna say it's like a switch went off, because it wasn't great anyway, but it was infinitely funnier than what I had just seen. The third part, however, goes right back to unfunny, as it was during its exposition. Like they were exhausted and they just couldn't come up with anything else. That's the problem with the film, it's structured much like a sitcom and written like one too. A decent cast, even with unfunny Bruce Willis, and some chuckles certainly don't make up for the film's flaws. Can you believe they actually made a sequel for this film? A sequel that I actually WATCHED?!? I get the fact that the film was financially successful, but it's not like the world was clamoring to spend more time with these characters. You have to take things into consideration, just because people liked it once doesn't mean that they'll like it again. And this is the case with this "series", once was good enough for people. No need to repeat the same formula, you know. It just ends up feeling like a waste of money more than anything else. But I digress, this really wasn't a horrific film by any means, it's unspectacular and forgettable. If you've run out of things to watch then I guess you could give this a shot, but I doubt anyone would ever run out of things to watch to the point that this is the only film that's left. Watch at your own risk.
January 12, 2015
Matthew Perry is what makes this movie worth watching