The Widow of Saint-Pierre (The Widow of St. Pierre) (La veuve de Saint-Pierre) Reviews

• Oct 07, 2014

Boring but the scenery of Newfoundland is really great.

Boring but the scenery of Newfoundland is really great.

• Jun 28, 2014

started becoming uninteresting very quickly...not my cup of tea..

started becoming uninteresting very quickly...not my cup of tea..

• Mar 14, 2014

A quiet film that stays intense to the very end -- not at all what I expected.

A quiet film that stays intense to the very end -- not at all what I expected.

• Mar 03, 2014

Based on a true story! An extraordinary dark drama that reflects an anti death penalty rationale! But if you look harder you will see the film is about so much more! The more dangerously involved the Captain and his wife become with the condemned prisoner the more their passions explode! A deeply romantic and complex story about the human condition and the tinderbox that dwells within our hearts!

• Jan 15, 2014

Beautiful period drama, this film benefits from a great storyline, and interesting cast & beautiful reconstitution of the life back then. It's not a funny film but it's so beautifully shot & acted by such an amazing bunch of great actors, you will get on board and have a great time.

• Dec 27, 2012

This French film deals with a man sentenced to be killed by means of the guillotine (the widow(maker), la veuve). The story takes place a few hundred years back on a cold island, beautifully filmed; you can almost feel the cold coming off the screen. After a while, the population starts to actually like the prisoner, but since the island's council doesn't want to go against the will of the government in Paris, the sentence has to be carried out. But what can you do if the island lacks a guillotine as well as an executioner? La Veuve de St. Pierre is very captivating, full of sympathetic people, but then fate doesn't seem to care much if people are good or bad, or if maybe they deserve a second chance, like the prisoner awaiting his execution. It's all very well acted by the all-star French cast (including Juliette Binoche and Daniel Auteuil). A very well-produced, touching film.

• May 08, 2012

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] An interesting and well-acted film.

• Mar 01, 2012

This movie is wonderful. The story and screenplay are engaging and very well written with powerful lines; the direction of Patrice Leconte and the performances are top- notch, with Juliette Binoche extremely beautiful and elegant as usual and showing a magnificent chemistry with Daniel Auteuil. Emir Kusturica, a great director himself, is totally believable as Neel. His interaction with Madame La turns from gratitude into a noble love that is not meant to be. Even the cowardly bureaucrats, who feel threatened by the captain and his wife, are a picture of cowardly perfection. Their motives are all too human, all too real. But so is the unfathomable love they don't understand, and fear. One of the things I really appreciate about this film is the way it expresses all forms of love as having boundaries. What we see is a mature, healthy relationship, each partner respecting the unique characteristics of the other. What a contrast to the infantile clinging vine romances out of Hollywood!

• Jan 16, 2012

Slow, but moving. Lovely, yet tragic. I had no idea what to expect, but came away with a feeling of hope amidst so much despair. The movie speaks to you without saying anything. Wonderful acting...I recommend this to anyone who wants to see what it really means to act. What it means to carry a movie with simply superb acting and a story. I've almost seen all of Juliet Binoche's movies and I have to say I've almost loved all of them.

• Dec 27, 2011

Remarkable and hauntingly gripping.

Remarkable and hauntingly gripping.