Wind River - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wind River Reviews

May 21, 2018
Strengths: This is a great, engaging mystery. As soon as the body is found, you're left wanting to know more about what happened. It's very well-written, too. There are so many scenes that just work. Watching Jeremy Renner (Cory Lambert) and Elizabeth Olsen (Jane Banner) discuss the death of Cory's daughter was heartbreaking and probably the best scene of the film. The chemistry between the actors works, just like their great small scenes in Age of Ultron and Civil War. I also appreciated how they didn't go the romantic route with them. It would've been an unnecessary addition. When we get to see exactly what happened to the deceased girl, Natalie Hanson (Kelsey Asbille) and Matt Rayburn (Jon Bernthal), it's chilling and hard to watch. The standoff between the police and the drilling workers is another thrilling highlight, as is Cory's arrival to make the save. The way the rapist is dealt with is also very satisfying and perfectly fitting with Cory's character. Also, having the film take place mostly in snow gave it a really cool look and feel. For a near two hour film, it flies by.

Weaknesses: Some of the characters, especially law enforcement, and including Olsen's character, do dumb things. For example, the FBI agent literally stands in harm's way like an idiot to set up the big confrontation near the end. It just felt off. In fact, Olsen's character is kind of weak despite being a federal agent. I can see how some viewers will be put off by the graphic rape scene. It's mentioned multiple times early on and the implication could've been enough during the flashback. Lastly, some of the stuff feels predictable and not as big a mystery as one would hope.

Overall: Another great film in a loaded 2017. Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen were great together, nailing each scene they got to work on. The mystery unravels quite nicely, though is a bit predictable. Regardless, it's a well-acted, well-directed, well-written movie that will keep you engaged for its entire runtime and give you a mostly satisfying conclusion.
May 19, 2018
Bleak, yet engaging; Wind River see's writer/director Taylor Sheridan with another great addition to his filmography.
May 19, 2018
Great film, so many directors could learn how to put tension and drama in a movie by watching this film. No painfully drawn out scenes, but has great tension and heart wrenching drama, but he movie never slows to a crawl because of it.
May 18, 2018
An amazingly written and haunting film that does everything right.

WIND RIVER is a chilling thriller that follows a rookie FBI agent (Elizabeth Olsen) who teams up with a local game tracker with deep community ties and a haunted past (Jeremy Renner) to investigate the murder of a local girl on a remote Native American Reservation in the hopes of solving her mysterious death.

It disappoints me how long it took for me to watch this film. I missed it in theaters and even though I've had it on Blu-Ray, I hadn't sat down to watch it until recently. And boy was I missing out because not only did I love this film, but it was so amazing that it would've been one of my favorite films of last year.

To start off, I'm just going to say that this film is the perfect example of what a great film should do. The dialogue scenes here were so well written and perfect in every way. They never gave away too much but there was so much importance and character in each interaction that it made it so valuable. The story arc and the entire structure was perfectly well balanced and the pacing was so on point. I would love to meet the writer of this film and learn from them because I genuinely admired the way this film was written. Even if I didn't like the film, the script is an objectively, well written script.

I thought Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen were both fantastic as leads. Seeing them in slightly different roles then we're used to was invigorating. These guys, along with others, really carried the show. And while these two were great, I thought the cast was fantastic all the way down the ladder. I thought everyone filled their roles perfectly and I wouldn't have picked a different cast for anyone here.

Overall, "Wind River" is this dramatic, really horrifying thriller. It did a lot of brilliant methods of filmmaking that I didn't expect prior to watching it and I was in awe. I was literally left speechless throughout this film and I was constantly on edge. There are some scenes that are still stuck in my head and for good reason. This film did so many great things that I just don't know how to justify how it made me feel. I felt sad and attached throughout and I couldn't take my eyes off.

In the end, "Wind River" was an amazing film and one of the best films of 2017. I'm pretty positive it's on Netflix so I recommend this film to those of you reading this, as long as you know what you're getting into.
May 14, 2018
Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen star in the intense crime thriller Wind River. When a girl is found raped and murdered on an Indian reservation an FBI agent is called in and teams up with a wildlife officer to track down the killer. Both Renner and Olsen give incredibly strong performances, and director Taylor Sheridan does an impressive job at creating an atmospheric tone. The writing too is well-done, creating a dramatic and compelling murder mystery. Provocative and full of intrigue, Wind River is a remarkably engaging film.
May 12, 2018
Masterfully written, although one scene in particular had me uncomfortable to say the least.
½ May 12, 2018
A smart, ice-cold, modern Western murder mystery.
May 10, 2018
Low key, but engaging.
May 9, 2018
A winner in every aspect, Oscar worthy cinematography!
½ April 30, 2018
When people talk about about the sleeper hits of 2017, movies that people overlooked in favor other, bigger flicks, this one gets brought up often. Some people even go as far as saying that this was one of the year's best films. I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree on the latter. I think the movie itself has flaws that keep it, in my opinion, from reaching truly great status. The movie certainly was overlooked, as it slid right under everyone's radar. Having said that, even though I think the movie is still very good, what I think the movie does best (and that probably isn't the right word to describe it) is the fact that it shines the spotlight on a very real problem and that is the disconcerting number of sexual assaults of Native Indian women on reservations. It also brings up, in a title card at the end, that there are no missing-person statistics kept for Native Indian women, while they are kept for every other demographic, so the real number of missing Native women remains unknown. And that's infuriating to know. It's also infuriating to know that, honestly, no one seems to be doing anything about it and changing this. Putting more efforts in finding these women. Or even keeping basic stats, so people know the real number. This movie, unfortunately, being a smaller film, probably doesn't have enough reach. But it's the type of movie that forces you to confront an uncomfortable truth. And you know how some certain white people are, who refuse to acknowledge their own society's problems because it doesn't make them feel good. These people deny institutional racism even exists, they refuse to acknowledge the plight of minorities. So, of course, they're gonna ignore the plight of Native women, because it doesn't make them feel good about their past, as if their concerns should be the primary ones. Having said that, let's move on to the narrative, shall we? I should start off by saying that I thought that this was a very good movie. I really did. Cory, a tracker with the Fish and Wildlife Service, helps a novice FBI agent, Jane, uncover the truth about the death of a teenage girl and the circumstances surrounding it. Cory knows the girl, as she was her daughter's best friend. His daughter also died some years ago. So he's got a stake in finding out who's behind this. Not only does it help bring some closure to Natalie's family, whom he's friends with, but it might bring him some form of closure for his own daughter's death, even if the person responsible for Natalie's death may not be the same one for his daughter's death. The tone of the movie is definitely very melancholic, full of sorrow and grief. It makes sense, since this community is tight-knit and, in a way, it's like Cory is losing his daughter all over again. So I liked that part of it, just exploring the nature of grief and loss and how to deal with it. Cory says something that I found interesting, he says that Natalie's father, Martin, needs to face the pain or else he'll pretty much erase every memory of her. Her first steps, her last smile, etc. And that's interesting, because it's definitely got a lot of truth behind it. It's never gonna get easier, you just learn to live with it. Cory is still going through that process of learning to deal with it and facing the pain head-on. The problem, though, that I have with the flick is that it really plays out like a police procedural for the most part. Follow this lead, which leads you to this guy, who gives you another lead to follow up and so on and so forth. And, for such a personal story, that's an impersonal way to tell it. I suppose it's not, given the fact that Cory isn't helping Jane in order to bring the assailant(s) to justice, he's doing this so he can kill the guy responsible, or aid in this guy's death somehow. The dynamic is interesting in that Jane, while obviously having good intentions, sort of step on everyone's toes during the investigation. She's also a little slow to put some of the puzzle pieces together. But, again, her intentions are to be helpful and bring the people responsible to justice. As far as character development is concerned, however, Cory is more interesting. Jane has a great moment near the end, when Cory tells her that she's stronger than she realizes, because she survived the harsh environments, regardless of what they threw at her. But, again, I had some problems with the way the story was told and, if I'm being honest, I felt that the climax itself was a little clumsy. What I mean by that is that it just sort of comes out of nowhere. There comes a point where Jane, Ben (Tribal Police chief) and some deputies go to this drill site. There they show a flashback of what really happened, before there's a shootout between the two sides. I felt that this was a little bit rushed, honestly. Like they just introduced the villain(s), before they almost immediately killed all of them off. Now, these people are certainly very detestable, to be sure, but I felt that the movie could have gotten a bit more mileage out of this. Like maybe they go to the drill site, confront the workers and then are forced to leave. You let things simmer before, eventually, they blow over. But that's not what they do, they just force in a shootout when you least expect it simply because the movie has no more time left. And that's what I meant when I said that the climax was a little clumsy in execution. Another problem with this is the fact that the lead villain, or the one most responsible for what happened, is not particularly effective. You certainly come to hate him for his actions, but what I mean when I say he's not effective is that the actor playing this character, James Jordan, honestly isn't that good. Which is a shame, because Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen are fantastic here and the supporting cast is also top-notch. But this guy, he sticks out like a sore thumb with his...lack of talent. Maybe he's good at other types of roles, but he absolutely sucked here. Perhaps suck is a strong word, but he sucked in comparison to the rest of the cast. He was just wildly inconsistent. The film is beautifully shot and there's a certain lonely feel to the setting, which is by design. This place isn't meant to be welcoming and they do capture that feeling very well. While I don't think that this was a great movie as others thought, it was still very good. But, again, the most important thing about this movie isn't whether or not it's good, it's that it forces people to face a truth that they might not have even known about. It's a movie that, one hopes, will bring about some change and some of these Native women (and their families) will get the justice that they deserve. I'd recommend it, but don't come in expecting a classic.
April 30, 2018
I was shocked by the violence in this. I wanted to see a drama and my husband and I choose this. Nowhere in the reviews did I see that there would be a horrific gang rape scene. I thought this was more a traditional murder mystery -- maybe something like the "The Bridge." The body is found at the beginning of the movie, so that would seem to be that. But we flash back and the whole, sexualized murder is played out nearly in full. I had to walk away and I'm not going to see the end. This was almost like a horror movie scene in the middle of a drama. I felt all the wonderful acting, music, cinematography was just ruined and wasted. I couldn't stomach it.
April 30, 2018
It's an intense film that reminds me of an old Clint Eastwood kind of western. There's some violence that I wouldn't want to watch with my mom in the room, but it's a good one. Renner is always good.
April 28, 2018
Hands down best movie of 2017! It was a cruel film, yet beautifully made. 100%, this movie deserved at least an Oscar nomination.
April 27, 2018
This film attempts a real compassion for the victims of one kind of violence (against native American women) and yet a completely throw-away, cheap Hollywood-thrills attitude to all other kinds. A bunch of county cops are shot dead in a shoot out with plant workers, and this film has precisely nothing to say about that. It's never referred to again after the fact, undermining the entire premise.
April 24, 2018
You can guess the ending almost at half of the movie. But that does not affect the feeling you have when you watch it. It's intense, disturbing, brutal in some scenes, in general a good movie, heavy and meaningful. I recommend.
April 23, 2018
atmospheric drama not the usual Hollywood stick great performances by Jeremy and Elizabeth Makes you wonder what life is really like on the reservations
½ April 22, 2018
Wind River tells a compelling story on it`s own, but I couldn't`t connect with it`s dialogue heavy story.
½ April 22, 2018
Great straight forward writing and acting. Riveting and simple. Fantastic film
April 21, 2018
this move doesn't get near the attention that it deserves.
½ April 13, 2018
Entertaining and intense mystery.