Windtalkers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Windtalkers Reviews

½ October 23, 2016
Too long and too predictable to make much of an impact.
½ September 2, 2016
One of the worst movies ever. Horrible acting, unrealistic action scenes and an overall embarrassment to the story it was meant to portray. Such a disappointment!!!
May 23, 2016
Flimsy drama but impressive battle scenes.
February 13, 2016
With striking visuals and tense action, Windtalkers unfortunately glosses over the Navajo Codetalkers in favor of a more universally relatable character and story.
½ September 26, 2015
Interesting part of history but this movie was horrid. Poor acting, poor music choices, cheesy battle scenes, and very limited information on the actual windtalkers. could have been a good but feel short.
September 2, 2015
it's amazing how brutal that war was
June 26, 2015
Looks the part but very glossed over wae story.
June 25, 2015
Good movie about the Navajo code talkers during World War 2. One of the better Nicholas Cage movies. Cage plays a soldier charged with protecting one of the Navajo code talkers.
June 21, 2015
Not as much codebreaking as there should have been.
June 11, 2015
It all makes sense when I see who it was directed by. This was a terrible movie that deserved better. It was so cliche and just, bad. I get that the Navajo were discriminated and all, but I just dont need to see the entire movie based around that entire premise. I dont need to ever see another movie where the jerk is a jerk the whole movie and then sees a few good deeds by the "good guy" and all of a sudden will do literally anything for the person they spent their whole lives being a jerk to.
May 18, 2015
The code-talkers deserve better.
April 12, 2015
Not a complete masterpiece, but it's Nicholas Cage! Another film in his over the top performances!
½ April 9, 2015
Too much of exaggerated war footings despite true history. That's John Woo style.
½ April 6, 2015
Straight-forward WWII movie that I was surprised to see done so well. Enacts little known factual history that I've researched on but not enough. This film was quite enjoyable.
½ March 11, 2015
150311: Just a weak film over-all. Cage was unconvincing. Special effects sucked in my opinion. This is a could've been movie. Could've been great.
March 11, 2015
A well staged and produced film of an aspect of the Pacific war , totally ruined by Cage. A raggedy passed Marine , he most certainly isn't , and that 1000 yard stare of his, unbelievable! Have enjoyed his performance in many other films , but not this.
½ January 16, 2015
Windtalkers is terrible.
But it's also funny!
For people who know me well enough, that response may be a wee bit weird to be coming from me. As a lover of history, I typically rage on WWII themed films that completely and utterly butcher the historical source material they were making a shitty attempt to bring to life. This is a beyond botched attempt at making a serious war film, but instead of wallowing in resentment, I found myself laughing at just how over the top and absurd the movie was. Which is pretty much everything a World War II movie shouldn't be.
The story is supposed to be based on the exploits of the Navajo Code Talkers, a small bunch of Native Americans who used their language in order to transmit a near unbreakable code, keeping their Japanese foes from deciphering it. You honestly wouldn't think that from watching the movie. Instead, the main plot of the film revolves around a war weary Marine played by the legendary Nicholas Cage with his aimbot and infinite ammo cheats cranked way the f**k up.
This movie tries to be this really deep thing with the whole Code Talker angle, but in all actuality, this is one of the most generic, and completely bat-shit crazy war films I have ever seen. John Woo's over-the-top style worked with Face/Off, because that was an over-the-top movie. Combine a story that's supposed to be emotional, dramatic, and serious with a style that is anything BUT serious, and you get action scenes that are WAAAYY too silly and bombastic, and some characters and dialogue that come from just about every cliché in the How To Guide for Making a War Film. I lost count of how many times I bursted out laughing.
Windtalkers is a horribly hysterical movie. No other way to describe it.
January 9, 2015
Re-watch. I didn't like this when it first came out. Enjoyed it a lot more the second time around. The great man has to babysit a Navajo who uses the Allies new secret code in the war against the Japs. The story is average but the action is top notch.
December 14, 2014
i literally fell a sleep, while watching this :D
November 20, 2014
Wow, what a cheesefest. Very much a "Hollywood" war movie in a completely over the top way, with endless rounds of gunfire and big, bright explosions that sees soldiers diving and rolling away from the pyrotechnics (Captain Kirk would be proud).

Yeah where to begin with this? Disappointing on almost every level with ultra cheesy battle scenes containing enough fireworkie explosions that after a while your eyes glaze over. We also get a melodramatic Nicholas Cage who borders on (is) comedic in his overacted delivery of a battle fatigued Marine. His character is often so ridiculous that I was actually laughing during scenes that should have been very serious.

The story itself is okay and has been loosely (oh so loosely) based on a real-life operation during WWII, following two Navajo radiomen and the U.S. Marines assigned to protect them (at all costs) as they encode military messages in their native language. This idea of these code talkers is compelling but unfortunately is lost here in this pyrotechnics dream, too bad. I did enjoy Adam Beach as Private Ben however and his transformation from naïve reservation family man to eyes wide open, I've witnessed horror soldier.There are some other familiar faces amongst the troops Mark Ruffalo, Christian Slater, Jason Issacs. I would have to think though if you were a WW2 veteran that this movie would be insulting. 11/15/14