Within the Woods Reviews

• Sep 07, 2019

For a film project, it was pretty ambitious at the time. If it weren't for this short film, we wouldn't have Evil Dead. I recommend checking it out.

• Jun 27, 2018

Really old first work of the Evil Dead maker Sam Raimi. Til today there is only a copy with horrible quality, but it already shows some real potential and starrs a cool and disgusting monster.

• May 13, 2016

Simple, charming practical body horror with the creative seed of The Evil Dead.

Simple, charming practical body horror with the creative seed of The Evil Dead.

• Apr 17, 2016

Bad, but there is so much potential here for greatness. Sam Raimi later remade this as The Evil Dead with the same cast. This is the reason I love independent low budget movies so much; the filmmakers can make what they want without studios making it a paint by numbers fiasco.

• Nov 02, 2015

The precursor to the Evil Dead franchise, this was a low budget short film made to entice possible investors into a larger budget full feature film. It's clear it had potential, although the downside is that today's remaining footage wasn't preserved and looks like it was copied from a half melted VHS. It's hard to hear or see what is going on for a lot of it and I imagine an actual film transfer would show its true value.

• Oct 16, 2015

The short that inspired Evil Dead is slow, but it shows the early talent of Sam Raimi and what started his rise to fame. 6/10

• Feb 19, 2015

Even if cheap, generic and not scary whatsoever, you've got to give it credit for making possible one of the best horror movies ever.

• Jun 13, 2014

I personally did not find it scary,but i gave it some credit for helping Sam and his friends to make "The Evil Dead."

• Mar 13, 2013

Decent debut short film from Sam Raimi...a precursor to The Evil Dead. Doesn't have the comedy of The Evil Dead, more pure horror/gore...

• Mar 04, 2013

Within the Woods is the 32 minute film that Sam Raimi, Robert Tapert and Bruce Campbell made before Evil Dead. They made it as a reassurance that their vision for a feature could work and it also proved invaluable in finding funding for Evil Dead. This short was proof that these guys knew what they were doing. To this day the film has never seen a release and the only quality available is poor... but I think that adds a huge amount of character to it. Apparently Raimi tried to get the film cleaned up for a dvd release but music licensing stopped that in its tracks. The story is basically the same as Evil Dead. A group of friends spend a weekend at a cabin in the woods and one afternoon they accidentally disturb the ground at an ancient indian burial site. Evil spirits chase them, possess them and kills them. For a micro-budget short film it's skilled and impressive and clearly announces a great new filmmaker. Great editing, great music and excellent gore effects. If you love Evil Dead (what respecting horror buff doesn't?) then you will get a huge kick out of this flick.