Woman of the Year Reviews

• Mar 15, 2019

This is a waste of Katharine Hepburn's talents. Why would an educated woman want to marry someone whose only knowledge or interest is in sports right in the middle of world war II? She starts out well, her independence and education is seen, but she ends up in the kitchen, quits her job, and gets out the cookbook. The movie ends as she gives up her independence and her spirit. Hurrah! Three cheers for the future! A better title for this film would be "Tamed" or "Under His Thumb at Last".

• Nov 19, 2018

This film was almost good.

This film was almost good.

• Jan 28, 2018

The Last 15 minutes or so of Kate trying to make Spencer Tracy breakfast is sheer brilliance. I laughed out loud several times.

• Jan 12, 2018

Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn are fantastic in Woman of the Year. A great romantic comedy that explores the roles of marriage and flips them on their head.

• Jul 23, 2017

This was a really good movie, only a few points that are cringe-worthy which is pretty amazing considering this movie focuses on a career woman in the 40's.

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Jul 04, 2017

The movie kind of falls apart when it shifts gears from taking Hepburn's wit and independence seriously to lecturing her . . . I know much of that is just simply the time period but it does make the final act seem out of place.

• Jun 19, 2017

I can't gush enough about George Stevens' picture. Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy are perfect together! The subtle mix of humour and seriousness added with the intensity of the two stars' performance makes this film a pleasure to watch. The topic of marriage is explored in depth and the struggles the characters face are illustrated clearly with the films Oscar winning screenplay. Woman of the Year is simply wonderful!

• Apr 02, 2016

You can't go wrong w/ Tracy & Hepburn & this one's no exception. They're witty, believable and just great together. Usually, these "comedies" are so lame that the word comedy doesn't even apply, but this one's actually pretty funny. I enjoyed it.

• Mar 06, 2016

This was the first of nine pairings for Tracy & Hepburn, and is one of the best. Their chemistry in this film is amazing. I really liked both actors in this. The screenplay won an Oscar. The only knock against it for me was the ending, but it's still a highly entertaining film worth watching!

• Aug 16, 2015

Like in Adam's Rib, Tracy and Hepburn explore the dynamics of the modern couple, as it existed in 1942. Hepburn plays a feminist whose refusal to compromise in any aspect of her life, or participate in the parenting of an adopted son, almost costs her the love of her life. Tracy plays a man who struggles to support his wife, while also asking for what he needs out of their marriage.